Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2021, 11:51 AM

Good choice. I am sure you have already run the numbers, but if money were no object, the 10 is almost a no-brainer whether there will people in the seats or not. Just keep in mind, in rough numbers a 14 will cost about $25K more to build than a 9 and a 10 will cost about $50K more than a 9. Operationally a 14 will cost roughly $20 per hour more than a 9 and a 10 will cost roughly $30 more per hour than a 9.

Tim
Old 06-08-2021, 03:05 PM

Congrats and welcome from a repeat offender!

You've absolutely chosen the ideal design from Van's current lineup. Kudos for realizing that four seats are unnecessary for most guys most of the time. I've always suggested that one should perform a logbook check for the number of flights over the last two years where you've flown with more than one other person. If that number is under, say, 20 (pick any reasonable number that makes sense to you), then you don't need a 4-place airplane.

The -10 will be more expensive in every way, including insurance, and less capable with respect to aerobatics. As I've sometimes pointed out to both my wife and my mother, a coupon (insert "savings" of any sort) is only a bargain if you needed the thing in the first place. If you don't need a 4-seater, then the incremental cost bump doesn't represent a value for you.

That said, the -10 will sell for more than a similarly-equipped -14A, but that's only the current market condition and may be different (at least in degree) years down the road.

As others have said, buy all of the kits upfront (or as soon as possible), especially now that lead times have gotten out of hand. Hopefully, that will trend back toward normal as life continues to enter the post-pandemic phase.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494) - Sold

RV-14A.com
N114KB Build Site
Old 06-08-2021, 05:46 PM

Cool

Ryan, I知 about 2/3 done with my 14. If your looking to fly somewhere and want to look at one under construction, come on over to Benton Harbor (KBEH) and I値l show you around.
Jerry Kalin
Old 06-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Welcome aboard Ryan. I think you made a great choice with the 14A. I'm 2.5 years into my build and have never regretted my choice, except maybe now. Fitting my engine cowls and just LOVE (LOL) all the sanding and fitting. Enjoy the journey!
Prop hung
Engine Hung
Working on Finish/FWF
QB Wing ordered and in limbo
2021 Dues paid
Old 06-08-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo View Post
Good choice. I am sure you have already run the numbers, but if money were no object, the 10 is almost a no-brainer whether there will people in the seats or not. Just keep in mind, in rough numbers a 14 will cost about $25K more to build than a 9 and a 10 will cost about $50K more than a 9. Operationally a 14 will cost roughly $20 per hour more than a 9 and a 10 will cost roughly $30 more per hour than a 9.

Tim
Keep in mind also that you can do loops, rolls, and a few other fun things in your RV14, but not in the -10, or -9. It痴 an all around great airplane that is comfortable.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 06-08-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkalin View Post
Ryan, I知 about 2/3 done with my 14. If your looking to fly somewhere and want to look at one under construction, come on over to Benton Harbor (KBEH) and I値l show you around.
Jerry Kalin
wow cool Jerry, I will have to take you up on that. Are you building in the hangar at BEH?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Keep in mind also that you can do loops, rolls, and a few other fun things in your RV14, but not in the -10, or -9. It痴 an all around great airplane that is comfortable.
Yep, I absolutely agree. Two points, though:
1) the numbers apply to a 7 as well.
2) Personally I believe the 9 is the best of the bunch, but that's just me

Tim
Old 06-09-2021, 06:15 AM

Default Ride in a 10

I live in Clarkston and have a 10. If you are interested in a ride, let me know. There are several RV drivers in my hanger row including a 7 and a 9 at Pontiac KPTK. We also have a EAA Chapter 194 at Pontiac KPTK. If you aren't already in a chapter, you should join up.

PM me for a contact phone number

We just finished two trips that I should write up. Pontiac, MI (KPTK) to Salt Lake City, to Lakeland FL, then home to Pontiac for a total of 4200 miles. Then this last week Pontiac to Oxford, CT them to Rutherford NC ... this leg included a flight down the Hudson River in NY ... then back to Pontiac.

They are great traveling machines!
Dues paid 2020
Old 06-09-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane67 View Post
wow cool Jerry, I will have to take you up on that. Are you building in the hangar at BEH?
Yes. There most afternoons and every saturday. Pm me sometime and I値l make sure I知 around.
Jerry