What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Wind

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Big day today; just over 7 months after emergency mitral valve replacement, I received a phone call from Transport Canada Civil Aviation Medicine that I my medical is once again valid and I am cleared to return to flying. I know I don't have to explain to anyone on this forum what that means to me.

A couple of weeks ago, a young mechanic helping me with some work on my plane asked me if the aircraft had a name. It didn't, but it got me thinking, and I decided that if and when I got my medical back, I would in fact give the plane a name to recognize the second chance at flying and life that I have been given. I am pleased, then, to tell you that the new name for my 6A is.... "Second Wind".... I hope to have the chance to explain over and over to people at airports and fly-ins for years to come what the name represents:)

Now I just have to get some vinyl lettering designed and cut, and start planning my first flight in 7.5 months!

Nice

I agree that naming boats, aircraft etc takes some time. Once the vehicle gains some characteristic or experience, names will come. Good name choice.

Now if only we could have some decent options for idents in Canada.:rolleyes:

Bevan

Great news Garry!!!

I have a friend here in Chile that have a similar surgery than your 7 year ago, He is in great condition and he is a very active skydiver but Chilean FAA (DGAC) never return his medical, he need other people to fly his beautiful Cessna 180 "Piolin".

So please enjoy you new opportunity and that you leave in a country with smart people;)

Replaced Valve Club!

Congratulations, Gerry! I remember emailing you about my mitral valve surgery. I'm glad you're cleared to fly again, and I hope to meet you someday. Perhaps we could start a club called the RV (Replaced Valve) Club! :D

Big day today; just over 7 months after emergency mitral valve replacement, I received a phone call from Transport Canada Civil Aviation Medicine that I my medical is once again valid
Now I just have to get some vinyl lettering designed and cut, and start planning my first flight in 7.5 months!

Gerry.....congratulations....I had the same valve repaired and took about 9 months to get cleared...been flying again since last July.....SWEET!!:D

Great news

Gerry,
That is great news. One of the guys in our EAA chapter is bummed because of the same issue. He'll be happy to hear your story.

Gary

great idea.....

I can't imagine how scary it was...I think my BP goes up everytime I get near my medical renewal date!
it's great to commemorate these milestones, if I can help you come up with something, drop me a PM with your e-mail, and perhaps I can even cut the lettering for you! ( tho' I'm sure there are lots of good shops in the far east! ):)

Great news.

Now go out there and enjoy, but be careful....I dont want to see a post called...."breaking wind"...:D

Congrats

Good for You Gerry......enjoy your second wind!!
So many of us take it for granted, your story is a good reminder to enjoy every flight and fly often.

Thanks so much for all the responses; like I said, this is one place where everyone understands what this means without any explanation needed. I have benefited from, and truly appreciate, the very real support and assistance I have received here:

-Don - your pm's were both informative and incredibly encouraging for me, and I am grateful you took the time to write. Question; should "RV" stand for "replaced valve", or "rotten valve" club? Deep questions!

-Tom - it was a pleasure doing business with you; your hoses are installed and leak tested on the plane, and I will think of the great customer service you provided when I fire up tomorrow (weather permitting!)

-Perry - Might just take you up on that!

-Skykingbob - Glad to hear of another happy ending!

-Brian - No promises;)

Thanks again to everyone; this is a great community with people that actually give a rat's about each other. What a concept in this day and age:)

Update: Got my first flight in! Went out and did a xwind takeoff, some slow flight, stalls, and steep turns, then came home and landed in a 20 kt, gusty,quartering crosswind. Nailed it, by the way:) Airplane was flawless after it's long hibernation. Feels so good to be a pilot again:)

Congratulations!

Thanks so much for all the responses; like I said, this is one place where everyone understands what this means without any explanation needed. I have benefited from, and truly appreciate, the very real support and assistance I have received here:

-Don - your pm's were both informative and incredibly encouraging for me, and I am grateful you took the time to write. Question; should "RV" stand for "replaced valve", or "rotten valve" club? Deep questions!

<SNIP>

...or Repaired/Replaced Valve Club? :) We could probably find several "R" words that would be appropriate!

Gerry, this is timely, as I just now (a few minutes ago!) got an email from the AOPA saying my Class III Special Issuance has been approved for another year! Now I'm just waiting for the certificate to arrive in the mail. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Best wishes to you! Don

...or Repaired/Replaced Valve Club? :) We could probably find several "R" words that would be appropriate!

Gerry, this is timely, as I just now (a few minutes ago!) got an email from the AOPA saying my Class III Special Issuance has been approved for another year! Now I'm just waiting for the certificate to arrive in the mail. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Best wishes to you! Don

Congrats Don!

Back