What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon autopilot

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Certainly not wanting a debate as to which is best. I have a Dynon autopilot in my RV-14A and "pay attention here" don't have the skill to tune it in. My friend has an RV-14 with a GMC 307 dialed in. It's rock solid, mine isn't. I don't see people having this issue with Dynon autopilots so I'm asking , can the Dynon be rock solid like I'm seeing in my friends RV if dialed in?
Thanks

I kind of have the same question! I don’t think I have mine full dialed in, I get a lot of roll slips warnings.

Certainly not wanting a debate as to which is best. I have a Dynon autopilot in my RV-14A and "pay attention here" don't have the skill to tune it in. My friend has an RV-14 with a GMC 307 dialed in. It's rock solid, mine isn't. I don't see people having this issue with Dynon autopilots so I'm asking , can the Dynon be rock solid like I'm seeing in my friends RV if dialed in?
Thanks

You don't indicate definitively in the above, but imply that you might not have...

Have you followed the Dynon instructions for how to dial in your autopilot? They are very specific in the installation manual regarding how to do so and it's not hard to do. Doesn't meant there might not be other issues involved in your setup but if you haven't done that basic setup Dynon recommends then all bets are off.

I have been flying mine since 2016 and I don't recall just what I used for settings. Yes I can check. Not having flown with an autopilot before, I'm not asking how to fix my autopilot , what I'm asking is should I expect my Dynon autopilot to be as solid as Garmin. I have had four aircraft with Dynon, from back to the D100 series but very limited in autopilot experience. My plan always was to fly to a very versed Dynon technician and have them fine tune my system. There are local avionics guys but no one with Dynon knowledge. I would like to hire someone that doesn't have to study my system to tweak it. Once Covid subsides I will seek someone .

Works great

Mine is solid. Hoods altitude +/- 20 ft. Holds heading on NAV mode or HEADING mode. Levels on descents on the #s. Levels after climb the same. Upgraded to latest software - no problems. I followed the manual.

Mine is solid. Hoods altitude +/- 20 ft. Holds heading on NAV mode or HEADING mode. Levels on descents on the #s. Levels after climb the same. Upgraded to latest software - no problems. I followed the manual.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Have you flown with a Garmin autopilot to compare accuracy?

Mine is rock solid in my 9A, both on my 430W on the original install and now on the IFD440 driving it.

I assume you built and installed the aeroplane.

That said, the autopilot should be pretty steady from the get go. We built 2 RV12’s with shake out of the box Skyview. Both did their fly offs without any setting changes.

Do a factory reset and try again.

If not, it is pay attention time and work through the calibration sequence. It is very well documented and easy to follow.

I am impressed with how well the Dynon autopilot works. I did not build the aircraft or tune the a autopilot but I have not had to touch any of the settings since I bought the aircraft. I have upgraded the Dynon software as it became available and have never had any problems at all with the autopilot. I decided to upgrade to the knob and autopilot panels which I would highly recommend. I come from a professional pilot background and am surprised just how good an autopilot they have developed at Dynon.
Just my thoughts

Steve

Greg,
I have an RV-9A and I will be switching to the Dynon autopilot in a few weeks. Can you share your autopilot settings?

John,

I suggest flying with the Autopilot default settings before any changes.
My three RVs all still have default autopilot settings and they are all rock steady.

Carl

Back