What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked Air filter housing

Ratdog

I was helping a friend on his 10 year old RV-10 with 500 hours and found this:

Attachments

• IMG_9817.jpg
    IMG_9817.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_9815.jpg
    IMG_9815.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 274
I was helping a friend on his 10 year old RV-10 with 500 hours and found this:

Looks like he has been running an excessively aged air filter based on where the rub/wear mark is located in the bottom of the air box (well aft of the oval opening ion the metal top of the air box.

It is a known property of the K&N filter that as it ages it shrinks. The shrinkage happens in diameter and in height. When it shrinks too much in height, it can no longer be clamped between the top and the bottom of the air box. This allows movement which then results in wear on the bottom of the air box.

The filter is reusable, but that doesn't mean it is a life time filter.
I recommend they be replaced every 3 years or so, or when every it is no longer being clamped between the top and bottom of the air box.

Shrinking filter

Yes, that happened in my RV-7 and was starting in my 10 also. Found out from a previous thread that the filters shrink over time. Bought a new filter and I was amazed how much the old one had shrunk when compared to the new filter. I also epoxied some aluminum to the bottom of the housing.

Tempest is working on a filter that will fit our RV's and no oiling.

I put a plate in the bottom of mine as well to help remedy this problem. Only 420 some hours on it so far but no cracking like this.

I see the drain hole on the outside of the filter but on my -9 the instructions have you drill a #30 drain hole on the inside of the filter as well to allow fuel to drain out. Not sure about the engineering on the -10 but I would think it would be the same.

Back