What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Inlet Depths

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
I'm working on the forward ramp baffles on my RV8 and as everyone that's fitted the air filter knows there isn't much room to work with. I'm going to cut back the fiberglass from the inlets to free up some space but I'm worried about how much is too much and how it's going to look.. I'm after some rough measurements of inlet depths of finished standard cowls to guage how much I can take.

Cheers
Gibbo

I'm working on the forward ramp baffles on my RV8 and as everyone that's fitted the air filter knows there isn't much room to work with. I'm going to cut back the fiberglass from the inlets to free up some space but I'm worried about how much is too much and how it's going to look.. I'm after some rough measurements of inlet depths of finished standard cowls to guage how much I can take.

Cheers
Gibbo

About 5cm is what I ended up with. Even if it was down to 3cm it doesn't matter much, since you have the rubber/silicone baffle material to bridge the gap between the cowl and the ramp. I used the very flexible red baffle silicone which makes it very easy to remove the bottom cowl. No idea how those with the stiff black material do it.

"How it looks" is in the eye of the beholder. Can't help with that part. From the practical standpoint, there is no significant downside to cutting the inlets quite short, and several advantages to doing so.

Attachments

• Inlet Pinch.JPG
    Inlet Pinch.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 138

Cheers
Gibbo

I didn't cut much into the fiberglass of the inlet or than to smooth out the factory part to make everything straight. Somehow, after the aluminum ramp of the baffle kit is bent to match up with the cowl, they resemble the flat entry profile in DanH picture. There are also some trimming needed for the allowance to fit the black rubber material.

Back