What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CiES Fuel Senders linked to G3X Touch

ZX-14

I'm New Here
Has anyone had any success installing CiES digital fuel sending units linked to a Garmin G3X touch?
I am in the process of installing 507-101 and 507-102 units in my RV-10 and have so far been unable to get them to work. Sending units are connected to a Garmin GEA 24, red power wires to plug 244, pins 5 (Left) and 8 (Right) Grounds to pins 7 (left) and 10 (Right) and fuel wire to pins 6 (Left) and 9 (Right). My input frequency shows 16.383 all the time and doesn't change with added fuel, float arms have free travel in the tank and are not stuck. Calls to Garmin tech support and CiES tech support hasn't helped. Before I give up and remove them, has anyone got these units to work with a G3X system or have any ideas? Thanks Walter

answer

Has anyone had any success installing CiES digital fuel sending units linked to a Garmin G3X touch?
I am in the process of installing 507-101 and 507-102 units in my RV-10 and have so far been unable to get them to work. Sending units are connected to a Garmin GEA 24, red power wires to plug 244, pins 5 (Left) and 8 (Right) Grounds to pins 7 (left) and 10 (Right) and fuel wire to pins 6 (Left) and 9 (Right). My input frequency shows 16.383 all the time and doesn't change with added fuel, float arms have free travel in the tank and are not stuck. Calls to Garmin tech support and CiES tech support hasn't helped. Before I give up and remove them, has anyone got these units to work with a G3X system or have any ideas? Thanks Walter

First, the 5v supply from the GEA24 is not sufficient. The CiES sensors require 9-24 volts.

Second, the CiES output should be in VOLTAGE (0-5) NOT frequency. This can be selected in the G3X configuration page.

Hope that helps...

ZX-14 response

I just went through this with Ceis and G3Expert. The power is 12v from pin 34 & 35. The signal voltage should be 2.5v from the Ceis sender. I Have not resolved what the GEA24 is looking for. Docs say frequency. Moving the float does not change voltage . My Fluke does not read DC frequency of square wave :mad:

BTW, Katie B at G3eexpert was very helpful and made several follow-up contacts to investigate. It seems there is a hang up somewhere in the documentation system between CEIS and or Garmin for Experimental application. Also, LR172 says pressure sensors work fine without shielded wire.

Last edited:
Mine work fine

My CiES and Garmin G3X work fine. Yes they are frequency driven. I can check my settings/wiring this weekend.

Thanks for the info, I changed my G3X settings over to voltage from digital, and tried calibrating as is with 5v power from the GEA 24, (plug 244, pins 5 and 8,) and again with power wires from the GEA 24 disconnected and a fused 12v power wire jumpered off the main power buss powering the senders, wired either way the CiES output voltage won't settle down, voltage does go up as I add fuel, but it fluctuates up and down over a range that makes accurate calibration impossible. Mmmmmm?

Thanks for the info, I changed my G3X settings over to voltage from digital, and tried calibrating as is with 5v power from the GEA 24, (plug 244, pins 5 and 8,) and again with power wires from the GEA 24 disconnected and a fused 12v power wire jumpered off the main power buss powering the senders, wired either way the CiES output voltage won't settle down, voltage does go up as I add fuel, but it fluctuates up and down over a range that makes accurate calibration impossible. Mmmmmm?

It is always best to follow published installation guidance instead of just changing things to see what does and does not work.

Do you have a link for the installation manual which should be used for the probes you purchased?

You mention in the first post that you are installing CiES 507-101 and 507-102 probes, but I haven't had any luck searching for an installation manual that covers these probes. I found a CiES STC installation manual, but no mention of these models.

Steve

I have two CiES senders in the stock location (inboard) on our RV-10 tanks. They are powered by 12 VDC from a fused source and the output is wired to the GEA. The inputs are configured as digital and were calibrated last week. Absolutely no problems getting them to read from nearly empty to about 23-24 gallons.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me sort this out, it is very much appreciated. Steve, my sending units were installed following CiES installation instructions, CiES then instructed me to wire them in to my G3X as per Garmin's wiring schematics and instructions. When the sending units failed to respond to float arm movement on my displays after doing this, I contacted CiES and they suggested I run power off the buss directly to the sending units and not from my GEA24. When this didn't change anything they suggested I talk to Garmin tech support, who in turn said they were not familiar with the CiES sending units and I should talk to CiES, after going in circles like this for a while, my only choice appeared to be "change things to see what does and what doesn't work", or pull them back out, take my time and money losses and go back to the old school Vans senders.
Mark or Kea, if you could tell me what pins your senders are connected to on the GEA24, and whether on digital or volt settings it would be very much appreciated! Thanks again. Walter

I'm confused - was the manufacturer of your fuel quantity sensors not able to tell you (either through their documentation or verbally) what the electrical output of their product looks like?

Krea question re. Input Config Digital ??

I have been through the config info for GDU460 / GEA24. I do not find a place to choose Digital as opposed to the other two sources resistance or capacitance. Any guidance would be appreciated...Larry

Steve, my sending units were installed following CiES installation instructions, CiES then instructed me to wire them in to my G3X as per Garmin's wiring schematics and instructions. When the sending units failed to respond to float arm movement on my displays after doing this, I contacted CiES and they suggested I run power off the buss directly to the sending units and not from my GEA24. When this didn't change anything they suggested I talk to Garmin tech support, who in turn said they were not familiar with the CiES sending units and I should talk to CiES, after going in circles like this for a while, my only choice appeared to be "change things to see what does and what doesn't work", or pull them back out, take my time and money losses and go back to the old school Vans senders. Walter

Walter,

According to the CiES STC installation manual, their fuel level probes can be ordered with either a Frequency, Resistance, or Voltage output signal.

CiES Fuel Probe Options.png

You can't call up Garmin and expect them to help if you cannot tell them which of these probe types (or yet another style) you have.

Steve

CiES Sensors

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me sort this out, it is very much appreciated. Steve, my sending units were installed following CiES installation instructions, CiES then instructed me to wire them in to my G3X as per Garmin's wiring schematics and instructions. When the sending units failed to respond to float arm movement on my displays after doing this, I contacted CiES and they suggested I run power off the buss directly to the sending units and not from my GEA24. When this didn't change anything they suggested I talk to Garmin tech support, who in turn said they were not familiar with the CiES sending units and I should talk to CiES, after going in circles like this for a while, my only choice appeared to be "change things to see what does and what doesn't work", or pull them back out, take my time and money losses and go back to the old school Vans senders.
Mark or Kea, if you could tell me what pins your senders are connected to on the GEA24, and whether on digital or volt settings it would be very much appreciated! Thanks again. Walter

There are both 12V and 5V power pins on the GEA 24. If these sensors are connected to the 5V power source, they will not operate properly, but the 12V power source should work. I suspect that may have been the first problem. The configuration in the display may be the next culprit, and needs to be set depending on which output is being used from the CiES sensor, analog or digital. We will get the Installation Documents updated to provide guidance for these sensors.

Thanks,

Justin

G3X Touch using CiES

Slowly builing RV10 - Having same problem - little help from Garmin or CiES to date. My CiES have "RV10 LH or RH INBD" etched on them with serial 501-101 & 102 (red, black & blue wires). checked out with oscilloscope - pulse output varied with float movement. Connected blue freq wire to GEA24 J244 #6 & black gnd to #7 and 9 $ 10 for other unit. Red pwr to auxiliary fuse box for 12v. checked CiES body to plane for grounding.
Under Garmin "configuration" choose digital - gives "red bars"
Under "calibrate" - shows freq line but no value.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Slowly builing RV10 - Having same problem - little help from Garmin or CiES to date. My CiES have "RV10 LH or RH INBD" etched on them with serial 501-101 & 102 (red, black & blue wires). checked out with oscilloscope - pulse output varied with float movement. Connected blue freq wire to GEA24 J244 #6 & black gnd to #7 and 9 $ 10 for other unit. Red pwr to auxiliary fuse box for 12v. checked CiES body to plane for grounding.
Under Garmin "configuration" choose digital - gives "red bars"
Under "calibrate" - shows freq line but no value.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Gulf,

Was your wiring done like this (especially the grounding)?

I think this should work.

CiES Fuel Probe Wiring.png

Steve

Decided to update GDU460 - had original version - didn't seem to help. Added ground from black wire connected to J244 #7 to power source ground - didn't help. Turned system off & on several times as well as unplugging J244. Then without any clear reason a frequency 0f ~90HZ appeared from both CiES senders on the GDU configuration mode (Fuel 1L & Fuel 2R Digital calibration pages). Right sender worked with or without added ground from power source. Left has only been wired with blue frequency wire to J244 #9, and black and red wired to power source from the start. The only other change made was to replace 1 amp fuses with 5 shown in Steve's drawing? Turned system on-off several times and senders continued to display frequency from each sender.

CiES Fuel Sensors

We will include interface information for these sensors in the forthcoming update to our installation manual. Due to the electrical characteristics of these sensors, power and ground should not be sourced from the GEA 24 or GSU 73. The sensor output (either Blue or Green wire on Fuel sensor) is the only wire that should be connected to the G3X Touch system.

Thanks,

Justin

CIES problem

Have G3X installation on RV10 - it wouldn't work - after several hours of this and that and several phone calls to CIES, Garmin and Van's I was at end! Fortunately noticed when pulling connector slightly away from GEA the G3X worked fine? I used shielded wire for data line, which appears to significantly disturb the signal when grounded. I have disconnected the shield from the connector and both senders work fine.

How many gallons show with one sensor?

Have G3X installation on RV10 - it wouldn't work - after several hours of this and that and several phone calls to CIES, Garmin and Van's I was at end! Fortunately noticed when pulling connector slightly away from GEA the G3X worked fine? I used shielded wire for data line, which appears to significantly disturb the signal when grounded. I have disconnected the shield from the connector and both senders work fine.

I'm considering the CiES senders for a -10 build and am curious how many gallons are left when the sender starts reading accurately?

There's a two sensor per tank option to read all of the fuel but they are not inexpensive sensors.

I'm considering the CiES senders for a -10 build and am curious how many gallons are left when the sender starts reading accurately?

There's a two sensor per tank option to read all of the fuel but they are not inexpensive sensors.

On my standard tanks with a single inboard CiES sensor- anything above 23-24 gallons in the respective tank does not register. This matches with my neighbor and his RV-10 using the standard SW floats. So far, the CiES sensors have been stable and accurate, but I'm still in Phase I.

I'm installing dual sensors in each of my Sky Designs ER tanks.

Last edited:
Back