What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cee Bailey vs. Vans Low UV windows

I’m trying to understand what “low UV” means in regards to the current windows provided by Vans. Cee Bailey has a light grey tint, and I can’t figure out how that compares to the “low UV” kit provided windows.

Can anyone describe the differences? I’m debating Vans and Cee Bailey, and perhaps may mix and match the windows on my RV-10 build. Cee Bailey for the windshield, and standard kit windows for the rest. Well they match color wise?

I have been debating the same question. The Low UV windows from Vans are essentially clear, but block the UV-B rays that cause sunburn to some extent. They truly look clear with no visible tint. I had the opportunity to see the light gray windows from Cee Bailey and when they say “light” they mean it. You can tell it is tinted but just barely. I wish they still offered a darker tint for rear side windows.

I plan to use the Vans Low UV windshield with the Cee Bailey Light Gray side windows for what it worth, but just one data point. I wouldn’t have an issue putting the light grey Cee Bailey windshield in as I don’t believe it would have a significant effect for night flying, but from a financial standpoint I just don’t want to pay the shipping for that large curved piece of plexiglass separate from a Vans kit.

I have been debating the same question. The Low UV windows from Vans are essentially clear, but block the UV-B rays that cause sunburn to some extent. They truly look clear with no visible tint. I had the opportunity to see the light gray windows from Cee Bailey and when they say “light” they mean it. You can tell it is tinted but just barely. I wish they still offered a darker tint for rear side windows.

I plan to use the Vans Low UV windshield with the Cee Bailey Light Gray side windows for what it worth, but just one data point. I wouldn’t have an issue putting the light grey Cee Bailey windshield in as I don’t believe it would have a significant effect for night flying, but from a financial standpoint I just don’t want to pay the shipping for that large curved piece of plexiglass separate from a Vans kit.

My old Warrior II had darker grey tinted windows and windshield--it had been a Texas, then a Florida airplane for much of its life--and they kept the interior cool, and had no negative effect on nighttime visibility, in my opinion. The windows were within FAA specs, having been sourced from a PMA supplier--not aftermarket tint. My plan for the RV-10 is to use the darkest gray tint I can get from Cee Bailey's.

They actually aren't clear.
If you hold a piece of white paper at the edge of the canopy, you can see that there is some level of tint.

I’m trying to understand what “low UV” means in regards to the current windows provided by Vans. Cee Bailey has a light grey tint, and I can’t figure out how that compares to the “low UV” kit provided windows.

Can anyone describe the differences? I’m debating Vans and Cee Bailey, and perhaps may mix and match the windows on my RV-10 build. Cee Bailey for the windshield, and standard kit windows for the rest. Well they match color wise?

I actually ordered the C Baileys for side windows. Couldn't tell any difference between them and Van's stock windows, except for the initial fit. C-Baileys takes much less fitting. However, if I were doing it again, I'd stick with stock and a little more elbow grease.

I actually ordered the C Baileys for side windows. Couldn't tell any difference between them and Van's stock windows, except for the initial fit. C-Baileys takes much less fitting. However, if I were doing it again, I'd stick with stock and a little more elbow grease.

When you say you couldn’t tell any difference can you clarify the specifications of the two windows. Are these the clear or SC-15 Vans variant and are they the clear or light gray Cee Bailey variant.

I have seen both, but not next to each other which is why I ask. Thanks

Thanks to all who commented. It appears the current Van’s windows match the Cee Bailey in level of tint (for the light grey tint option), 76% light transmission. I did get values for the kit credit for all 5 windows (RV-10). The Cee Bailey complete set currently is $1449, for clear. Add $160 for the light grey. I figured it is $400 more plus shipping to go there CB route. Only real issues talked about is the windshield fwd lower right corner of the Van’s doesn’t fit well. I’ve waffled back and forth on the way to go, and have decided to save the roughly $500 for something more important. Trimming and fitting the windows shouldn’t be too hard, and many comments are many experienced builders would still select that Van’s windows again.

Thanks!

still a little much

Actually I just recently contacted Cee Bailey about windows for my 10 (that I'm waiting on the down payment request). was quoted roughly $242 into the Seattle area. I'm in the South Sound area

Back