What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Proseal Application System

HFS

Well Known Member
If this "system" has already been presented here - I apologize in advance, OW:

Attached are two photos of a (cheap) system I developed for the precise & convenient application of type B-formulation ProSeal (or equivalent).

The basic system can be purchased thru the Aviation Supply Division of McMaster-Carr, to include:

Manual Gun & Cartridge Holders - About $260 (includes both 2.5 & 6 oz. holder)

I substituted and modified $3.95 caulking guns from the big box store - total cost
about $8.00. Net savings - about $250.

The cartridges come with their own "plunger" - but I machined an Aluminum "piston" as a substitute. Here's why - If you use the plunger as supplied, you can only apply pressure to the cartridge (can't pull plunger rod back). There are times when you will set the gun aside while smoothing the applied PS, or for any other reason - and you would rather it not "ooze" PS out the nozzle and (always does) make a mess. By being able to pull the piston back just a bit, to relieve the radial pressure on the cartridge (think garden hose - when turned off with a nozzle attached, and what happens when the nozzle is opened), thus creating a slight negative pressure - you are able to prevent the "ooze".

The cartridges/nozzles/extensions are not cheap - but with a little judicious planning can be reused.

There many sizes of cartridges available, but I settled on the 2.5 & 6 oz. sizes.
And, of course, neither need to be filled to capacity for the system to work.

If you do a search of McMaster-Carr's catalog for: One-Part Adhesive Dispensing Guns, Cartridges & Nozzles, you will find the materials I use.

YMMV - And probably will.

Just another way (less $) for connecting these "dots".

HFS

Sky Geek has the cartridges at much more reasonable prices.

Attachments

• Pro Seal Guns.jpg
    Pro Seal Guns.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Pro Seal Gun - Assy. View .jpg
    Pro Seal Gun - Assy. View .jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I did the same when re-sealing my fuel tanks. I just shortened the caulk gun, and used it with the proseal mini tubes. did not make a piston.

Back