What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV kit from Canada

Hello,

Has anyone purchased an RV kit from an individual in Canada? What are the rules? And are there any fees associated with bringing it back into the US? What if the kit originated with a builder in the US and then was sold to someone in Canada, and now is coming back to the US as a second sale? Would love to talk with someone that has experience with this. Thanks!

Scott

Welcome to VAF

Scott, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Build instructor------working with a bunch of high school kids?

Hello Mike,

Yes, we are going to build an RV12iS with the high school I am moving to. The kit from Canada is not that plane, but an RV-4 that I am looking at for me. I just don't know the ins and outs or bringing a kit in from Canada.

Scott

I found out the kit originated at Vans... sold to a gentleman in canada. I want to purchase the kit from him and bring it back to the united states. Here is what I need help with:

1) What are the procedures
2) how much does that cost

Thx so much for your help!

The EAA has a webinar on this topic. You can also call EAA headquarter and the staff will give you all the details about it.

I've got a -7 kit that I bought in Ohio and brought to Canada. As I had been out of the country long enough I didn't have to pay taxes on it.

Going back the other way, I imagine it would be similar to what happens when I bring vintage Cessna parts to Michigan to send to assorted purchasers. Since they were manufactured in the US, I have told them that they are "US goods returning", and therefore tax-exempt.

I've started a -14, and am selling the -7 tail kit. If I reimport it to the US it would probably count as returning US goods, I have the paperwork showing it was fabricated in Oregon.

Last edited:
Back