What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Engine Data Review

jfrank71

Well Known Member
I had and episode yesterday in the -10. Entering the pattern, the engine started running very rough and had a significant loss of power with EGT spikes over 1600 on four cylinders and EGTs gone cold on two cylinders. Understand there is a user on VAF named "Marion"?? that is willing to review engine data logs. I would like to pass these logs on to him/her for review.

Thanks to all

Frank

I assume you were adjusting the mixture in decent. This sounds exactly like a engine leaned for cruise flight would react if no mixture adjustments during decent. Don?t ask me how I know!
G

I highly recommend https://www.savvyanalysis.com

There are quite a few RV-10s in the database, so you can periodically review your metrics compared with other RV-10s.

If you sign up for their pay service, you can get one of their A&Ps to review your data or ask targeted questions.

I've got every flight since day one. It makes it real easy to perform trend analysis.

Mixture was increased through the decent. About 1" inch back from full rich at this point. Engine logs show spike in EGT but only on 4/6 cyl. Other 2 went cold at same time. Thats why I'm looking for an expert on engine logs to review and offer some insight.

If they went totally cold, could be ignition related too, but make sure to add in your post the pertinent details like what ignition systems you have on each side. To lose both, on only 2 cylinders, would be unusual for sure, if they are different types or even 2 mags. But it would seem to sound like leaning. Or perhaps a plugged fuel spider. May want to also provide engine details.

Could be intake leaks.....how many hours and is it a Lycoming built engine?

Send me the data file if you wish. davidbrown 'at' advancedpilot.com

Check the fuel tank breather of the tank used for descent.

If the vent is clear I would look at the fuel strainers/filters including the one in the fuel servo.

If they are clean I would open the fuel divider to make sure there is no trash floating around blocking the individual lines going to the cylinders.

Savvyanalysis.com is truly the only way to go. They have all my flights also. Huge data base with our engine configurations.

By the way we are flying now with 20 hrs.. Great plane..

Had a similiar incident with my building buddy when I was safety pilot for him while he practiced his IA's in his Cozy MKIV. Engine lost power as we were climbing out and then the engine started shaking so bad we thought a prop blade departed the hub on his 3 blade MT. Cylinder #4 went completely dead pretty quickly. Long story short, when I started pulling plugs, # 4 was wet and all the others were coated with soot. Started pulling injectors and found #4 with a particle of some substance blocking the orifice. Poked it out and cleaned all the injectors in Hoppe's #9. All good. Hope your problem is as EZ to fix.

RV-10 Engine data review

I use cirrusreports.com

it uploads lots of data from your SD card for every flight.

Good visualization of engine parameters.

If you have any questions feel free to PM anytime.

Ron
3T5
N145RV

Back