What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELSA repair man certificate.

LUKLA

Do I need to take 16 hrs class to do my annual since I build my ELSA ?? Vans RV 12..

Jim,

Did you take the course? What does the curriculum include?

Thanks,

Yes, I took the course last year at Oshkosh. It was offered by Rainbow Aviation at the close of AirVenture. It consists of two 8-hour day lectures in a classroom setting following by a 50 question multiple-choice quiz. Instructor allows 10-minute potty break each hour for us old geezers.

Instruction is very good, slow pace, easy to follow, and geared toward folks with first-time/intermediate aviation knowledge. Everyone in my class passed the test and got letter to present to local FAA FSDO office for “Repairman (light sport) with an Inspection Rating (LSRI)”

Maintainance vs Certificate

I built my RV12. Now I am confused. What work can I do without getting the Certificate? Brakes; Oil /filter change; .....? Is there a list?

You, your dog, and anyone else can do any and all of the "maintenance" on your RV-12 E-LSA or E-AB. However, to do the annual Condition Inspection on an E-LSA owned by you, you need to have taken the FAA-approved 16-hour course. If you built your RV-12 as an E-AB, then you as the builder can do the annual Condition Inspection if you qualify for the appropriate repairman certification. There are more permutations of this for second-hand owners, etc.

Oct 20th and 21st ELSA Repair man training at Cottonwood AZ by rainbow Aviation.

Going ...

Back