What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 air conditioning report

Jeffreymd

I promised a report on the air conditioning on my rv10, so here it is. I have the airflow system. Folks talk about the cabin heat in the rv10. Well, they?re right. There is some heat that comes in. I assume it would be greater if I had not put the firewall and tunnel insulation kit on mine. With the heat that comes in, the a/c wipes that out. Actually, it gets cold enough to where I have to move my ducts off of me at times. There?s one trade off though: speed. I believe I?m losing about 10-15mph in cruise due to the scoop on the bottom of the plane. I bought a 280hp thinking this would offset the scoop, and maybe it does a bit. At 6000', da 7010', oat 55f, running 24'/2450rpm, I get 189mph tas and burn 15gph. I?ve never hit the 200mph mark, and it?s got to be due to the scoop. But, let me close with this. 10-15mph in reduction in tas is well worth the comfort of the air conditioning! blue skies!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the followup. I'm looking at A/C systems for ours as well, although I've still got some time for a decision. Please keep us informed if there are any other observations going forward.

probably more than just the Scoop

Jeffery, the loss in speed is probably more than just the scoop, but that no doubt has an effect. from what I recall in doing some research on A/C systems, the engine driven compressor uses 5- 10 hp to do its work.

Pictures

Jeffrey,

Do you have any pictures of the install? Where exactly are all of the components located?

Thanks,
Scott

follow up on my post

Just to clear up some confusion about my recent post about the Airflow Systems air conditioner, air speed, etc. I did not fly a baseline speed test before I installed the air conditioner. I installed while building my -10. It's my understanding that other RV-10 owners that flew with and without the Airflow Systems a/c have reported no measurable speed difference before and after the scoop. You'll have to ask around for that. Maybe call Airflow Systems and talk to Bill. I'm only speaking for myself. As far as the compressor goes. I see no change in airspeed and only a drop in RPM of about 10. I still turn it off for t/o and landings. Just in case.
As a side note, I recently got a call from someone at Flightline AC pretending to be a customer for my RV-10 and wanting photos of my A/C installation. If anyone wants pics of the system and how it works. Please contact Bill at Airflow Systems. He knows his system and he can help you in much more detail than I could. PS- Don't buy an a/c sytem that's being put together and hasn't been tested. I don't think it's worth it.......but it's your airplane.

AC System

I have not noticed any speed loss due to the AC scoop. I have about 35 hs of phase one testing with out the AC scoop, and an additional 130 hs with the scoop. I do agree with the 10 to 20 RPM drop while in cruise mode turning on/off the compressor. I found that once the compressor goes on it drops about 15 RPM, then it starts coming back up to just 5 to 10 RPM drop.

Just like Stein says.... "My two cents" :D

Alex

Back