What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Dynon HDX with engine off

MacBoat

Hi, I just bought an RV-12iS and am trying to learn more about the Dynon SkyView HDX after completing my transition training. I've been reviewing Dynon's videos online as well as reading the owner's manual.

To better understand the Dynon, I'd like to sit in the cockpit and power it up without draining my battery or causing any other system issues. What is the best way for doing that? I was thinking I'd hook up a LiFePO4 battery charger for the EarthX and turn on the Master Switch to boot up the PFD but wasn't sure if that would work or cause any other issues.

I searched this forum but couldn't find anything related to this topic. Thanks!

Mac

I have the Pc680 battery and a 10inch HDX efis. I use the battery charger when I want to work on the efis to keep from draining the battery.

As suggested to me by other VAF builders, get yourself a switching DC power supply like shown below. It has been working great for me. You can get the larger amp (45 / 60) versions depending on your power needs. Hook the leads to the battery then you can run it all day long. It acts as the alternator would by giving a constant 13.8V to the system.

mfj-4230mv_xl.jpg

Last edited:
As suggested to me by other VAF builders, get yourself a switching DC power supply like shown below. It has been working great for me. You can get the larger amp (45 / 60) versions depending on your power needs. Hook the leads to the battery then you can run it all day long. It acts as the alternator would by giving a constant 13.8V to the system.

View attachment 6605

I'm certainly no expert here but I thought that with a power pack you would not attach it to the battery but to the load side( not battery side) of the master , with the master not engaged. If you want to connect to the battery a charger would be best.

I have the Pc680 battery and a 10inch HDX efis. I use the battery charger when I want to work on the efis to keep from draining the battery.

I have a couple of Pc680s and run my glass panel/avionics on the ground with the connected float charger set on 2 amps.

If you are using a regulated power supply such as the one above, then you should be able to connect it to either side of the master switch, as it will be putting out a constant voltage (13.8 vdc) which is the same as your alternator. I use mine connected to the downstream side of the master relay as I prefer not to keep the battery side energized, but I know others who connect to the battery side without any issues.

I would recommend against connecting it to the battery side if you have run down the battery (particularly with a LiFe battery such as the EarthX, which have very high charge currents) so that you don't draw an excess of power from the power supply. However, if you purchase a quality regulated power supply, it will shut down in an over current situation to protect itself, so you shouldn't hurt it in any case.

Regards

Two birds w/ one stone... Buy an Odyssey OBC-6A Portable Charger and make a pigtail connection at the battery with some Anderson Power Pole connectors. Use the battery charger when you want to sit in the airplane and power up the panel. I leave my Odyssey charger connected in the hanger all the time – 24/7. The Odyssey is not a “float” charger. It will charge only as needed. In addition, it has a program to disulfate the battery to improve longevity.

Last edited:
On sunny days, I pull out my 150w 19V solar panel that will put out about 9 amps at 14.4V to my battery. I do have some 10 ga wire pigtails with 30 amp Anderson Power poles as connectors, they seem to be a standard type of connector among ham radio operators. Easy access through the oil inspection door.

Works fine and dandy with my Skyview Classic 10", which by itself will pull about 4 to 4.5 amps when fan is running and it's turned on.

Last edited:
My advice here is to buy EarthX's recommended charger, the TM-275, which can maintain/charge the battery, but also be used as a power supply. It comes with the usual alligator ends, but also ring ends, so you have a quick-connect terminal on your battery at all times.

It's a little pricey compared to some other solutions mentioned here.

Attachments

• 134056992_10101829400433949_2356430246675600867_n.jpg
    134056992_10101829400433949_2356430246675600867_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 144
Thank you to everyone for these informative responses! I have some good ideas and options from which to choose.

@Piper J3, since my battery is an EarthX LiFePO4 battery, it cannot use a charger that desulfates so I have to be particular about the one I choose.

@rcarsey, EarthX also recommends the TM-291, which is a bit cheaper and should also meet my needs.

I still have a bit more research to do but thanks again to everyone for all of the input!

Mac

Back