What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionics Echo Help

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Hello all, having trouble getting the ADSB to work.
My Setup:
uAvionics Echo ADSB w/ GRT Safe Fly GPS on the Echo
GRT Sport EX EFIS
Garmin 327 Transponder

Is the Echo setup done on the GRT EFIS or on the Echo App with this set up?

I have tried both and fail to get a report on either. I seem to be picking up traffic when flying but don't think anything is going out.

Any advice or settings for the Echo, EFIS, and/or 327?

Thank you

With the Sport ES there are a number of screens to do the setup.
The only complaint I have with GRT is that their documentation of the setup is lacking. The good side is that a call to support will get everything straightened out quickly.

Sounds like the GPS is not talking to the Echo (been there).

If you need it, I can take pictures of my setup screens and send them to you.

The other common 'adjustment' the Echo seems to require is the transponder threshold value needs to be dropped down. There is documentation on how to do that.

Bob, I am reading it now. I read the others but not the GPS one yet.

Dennis, any screen shots would be great.

Thanks for the help

John, I have the same avionics as you. When I was installing my Echo/Safe-fly, I found Mike Bullock's description (with pictures) of the process very helpful. His write-up is a few years old now, so some of the menus may have changed due to software updates or whatever, but I'm sure it is still valuable as an overview. Here's the link:

http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1373

PM

John sent u a pm.....if that does not work, I can snap some pics and send to u via phone or email maybe.

Butch

Screen Sport SX

Here are my sport settings. Most pass over to echo if wire per there doc. Don’t be shy on playing with the threshold to below 1000 if needed. First screen shows my sw version, then the screens . Good luck. I’ll grab a screen shot tomorrow for how it looks and setting from iOS app while flying and the monitor screen.

Last edited:
Safe Fly Question

I changed some parameters today but still not working.
I notice that when the Safe Fly GPS is selected (GPS 1) that it seems to cut in and out. GPS monitor page shows receiving GPS signal however the position switches between a position and flagged at the rate of about once every 1/2 second. Same thing happens on the Map page. GPS 2 (internal GPS) is rock steady and does not blink. Anyone ever see this? I am beginning to think something is wrong with the Safe Fly GPS.

Thanks,
John

I forgot.....

John, your last comment here reminded me of one thing GRT had me do. Since the safe fly GPS is WASS, you would likely rather use it with the Sport, due to better resolution. GRT, had me pull the Sport out of panel, open it up and pull a small edge connected ribbon cable inside DISCONNECTING the Sport GPS utilizing the Safefly in lieu of the internal. if not conflict between the two. I would contact GRT on this to confirm. I have a GRT mini B as well. The safe fly is seen as GPS 2 on the Sport SX , mini b as GPS 1

I had the blinking as well and it was a setting which had 2 GPS signals going to the same input (the display switches between them causing the blinking).

Here is a link to my setup screens:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14XMCLIj05hjQeY50pMycsrOn6c8uVwwh

IIRC it was the ‘GPS from ADSB receiver’ item that had to be changed from yes to no.

Note: my GPS 1 is my IFR GPS, GPS 2 is the Echo, and the internal GPS is not used.

Last edited:
Have you considered the SafeFly GPS antenna? I've installed several SafeFly/Echo combos in the last few years. In two cases the supplied antennas were dead on arrival. One only kinda-sorta which made for a red herring while troubleshooting. Symptoms of that one were similar to what you are describing.

I switched the antenna but had the same problem. Dennis, I put in your settings and the flashing has stopped. Both GPS from the GRT and the Safe Fly seems to be working. I still can't get the info to show on the echo app on the ground but will see if it works when I get a chance to fly.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks all for your help.

John

Update

I wanted to update my post in case anyone else has the problem. After talking to GRT, I checked the wiring harness from the Safe-Fly GPS to the Echo and pins 19 and 21 were switched. After changing them the ADSB works great and passed the FAA PAPR! Thanks all for your help.

its often the simple things !

Similar problems , it was a bad wire on a factory harness !
Glad it worked out
Cheers
HNY 2021
Peter

I'm having similar issues with the Sport SX with internal gps as gps 1 and Safefly as gps 2. Echo is not receiving gps data. We have checked all pins and settings numerous times. Safefly gps appears to work when selected on EFIS and confirmed on Maintenance page. Support at both Uavionix and GRT are out until next week. Does the internal GPS, which is #1, need to be changed to( not assigned) in order for the ECHO to receive gps data thru the EFIS? We have set the EFIS as the controller as per the Safefly install manual to have the Safefly gps for navigation since it is wass. I read the previous post about disconnecting internal gps. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
John

Go to the link to my screens in post 13. The only difference for you is to use the internal gps for #1 instead of a 300XL (that is why I don’t use the internal gps).

Echo solution...
I helped with an intermittent problem. Note the Echo has surface mount connectors for power. There is no strain relief on the case and vibration will fail the connection of the ultra thin flow of solder on each power connection between the jack and the pcb. Noted another found the solution in a new harness. The unit I dealt with I co*uld get to operate if I pulled the wires snug in one direction. I hope UAvionix pays attention to the *future* mass failures they will see in this unit. Be sure to make a small loop and secure it well with zip ties or an adel clamp so wire flex and flop won't wear on your connection. A possible fix is removal of the cover and installing spongy double stick tape to add additional pressure towards the pcb to take up some strain and vibration. Tightening the cover against it with the removeable metal case bracket (around antenna and power jack) ought to reduce fatigue the wires will create.

Back