What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which cylinders for smoke?

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello!
I’m in the final stages of installing my Smoke System Helper system. I have a Vetterman crossover exhaust and am trying to determine which two cylinders I should install the injectors. Engine is Aerosport IO-375. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I ran both lines down the left side to #2 and #4. That puts smoke out each exhaust pipe.

Need all the cylinders to make good smoke. IF you only use one side (2-cylinders) on a cross over system, you get PUFFS of smoke.

It doesn't matter where in the pipe you put them. I had mine about 6" from the end of both pipes. (End being the open end of the exhaust just in front of the firewall.)

I am the guy with smoke on the far right hand side of this photo.

35-ship_35-years.jpg

Instructions say #1 and #4

...if you have a Vetterman crossover exhaust. I put the injectors just downstream of EGT probe location as instructed. Others have had good results installing the injectors much farther downstream. The Vetterman Exhaust slip-joints do leak a little so one could avoid this by installing the injectors downstream of the slip-joints.
The slip-joint leakage results in a little smoke oil to be wiped out of my lower cowling. Not a big problem.

Back