What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel gascolator screen missing

GHARBEN

Our newly purchased RV 4 has about 800 hours on it. The gascolator does not have a screen inside. Is this normal?
Thanks
G Harben
RV 4 N12HR

We looked for a filter somewhere else but didn't find one. The gascolator can is empty. Could it have a flat screen in the top?

Every gascolator I have ever seen had a flat screen mounted in the top.
There is not a filter element in the can like you might assume. The can is just a large volume collection point for sediment and water.

With bowl (can) removed, look up at the bottom of the gascolator body. You should see a flat fine mesh screen.

You did not mention what brand gascolator.

The Andair gascolator has a relatively large, cylindrical and removable filter screen (it unscrews). If memory serves, this is a 40 micro filter.

If yours is an Andair, don’t fly until you replace the filter element.

Carl

You gentlemen are absolutely right. I looked today and out strainer has a round screen in the yop. I am unfamiliar with this design. Most gascolators that I have seen are the type with the round cylindrical screen inside.
Mystery solved! Thanks to everyone. Love to fly this RV 4! I will be more relaxed now that I understand the fuel strainer.
Fly safe!
G Harben
N12HR

I fly a injected RV7 finished in 2004. Does my blue aluminum gascolator have a screen up inside the top housing?

Back