What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure

dan carley

Well Known Member
Just flew back from Florida to Long Island
Ny
Usually my oil pressure is around 76-78
The last 150 miles the oil pressure went to 90 lbs
I could only run 2250 rpms or it would go to
90 lbs
This is on a Rv6 with 180 hp engine? First time
This happened. Any idea
Thanks
Danny carley
N15vr

Just flew back from Florida to Long Island
Ny
Usually my oil pressure is around 76-78
The last 150 miles the oil pressure went to 90 lbs
I could only run 2250 rpms or it would go to
90 lbs
This is on a Rv6 with 180 hp engine? First time
This happened. Any idea
Thanks
Danny carley
N15vr

What oil pressure sensor are you using?

Bad Pressure Sensor
Contamination in the Oil Pressure Relief Valve
Clogged Oil sump screen (but most likely low oil pressure)

I had high pressure spikes. Oil pressure would run at 90 PSI and it would spike up to 100-115 PSI for 15-20 seconds.
First I removed inspected and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve. It made no change.
Then I replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor and it solved my problem.

Good Luck

The VDO oil pressure sensor that GRT provides will commonly start reading high, as can be confirmed by elevated oil pressure with the engine not running. Believe it or not, their recommended solution is to wack it a few times with a screwdriver. I tried it - It works!

Erich

I had high pressure spikes. Oil pressure would run at 90 PSI and it would spike up to 100-115 PSI for 15-20 seconds. [...]
First I removed inspected and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve. It made no change. Then I replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor and it solved my problem

I had / did exactly this a couple of months ago. Same outcome, works great now. Only difference from the OP is that the thing would only spike while on the ground during warmup. Not sure why that would be but anyway problem solved.

The VDO oil pressure sensor that GRT provides will commonly start reading high, as can be confirmed by elevated oil pressure with the engine not running. Believe it or not, their recommended solution is to wack it a few times with a screwdriver. I tried it - It works!

Erich

Experienced this recently. At startup oil psi would be over 90, then sink down to mid 80’s. Over 80 psi at idle on a 1900hr engine did not compute. Did the redneck (no offense to rednecks...) mechanic technique noted above by whang’n on the oil pressure sensor. Idle pressure back to mid 50’s. Just wondering if this will need to be repeated over time. Would hate to have to add it to my preflight....

Back