What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log Book - Airworthiness Entry

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
As we near the FAA inspection, exactly what is the correct verbiage to have in the airframe logbook stating the plane is built by _______, and inspected by ______, and found to be air worthy?

"I certify that I built this aircraft for my own education and recreation. I have inspected it in accordance with FAR part 43, appendix D and consider it eligible for an experimental airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft under the provisions of 14 CFR part 21.191g."

Signed________________________________ Date_________________

Technically the aircraft can never be "airworthy". It is "in a condition for safe operation."

Last edited:
"I certify that I built this aircraft for my own education and recreation. I have inspected it in accordance with FAR part 43, appendix D and consider it eligible for an experimental airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft under the provisions of 14 CFR part 21.191g."

Signed________________________________ Date_________________

Technically the aircraft can never be "airworthy". It is "in a condition for safe operation."
So does that mean it should really have a "condition for safe operation" certificate?

George

My inspection from the FAA in Scottsdale came with a sticker for the log book.

Basically the same words as Mel said but with an added sentence giving a single set of test conditions, and the date of the next required CI.

Last edited:
Basically the same words as Mel said but with an added sentence giving a single set of test conditions, and the date of the next required CI.

When I do an inspection, I include a sticker with the builder certification wording if you don't already have it. Then after inspection is passed, I add:

"I find that this aircraft, N1234, meets the requirements for a special airworthiness certificate for the purpose of Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft and have issued a special airworthiness certificate dated ________________. The next inspection is due __________________."

Signed:____________________________ DAR _______________

I don't like that he put in a date for the next required CI..a CI isn't required at all.. it's only required to be done within 12 months of a flight, so what if you parked the plane for 5 years and exceeded his date that he wrote in?

I don't like that he put in a date for the next required CI..a CI isn't required at all.. it's only required to be done within 12 months of a flight, so what if you parked the plane for 5 years and exceeded his date that he wrote in?

Simple—You complete a condition inspection, make the appropriate log entries then go fly. It’s the same for standard certificated aircraft that are out of annual. Putting a date down doesn’t do anything other than serve as a reminder because if you go past the 12 months the plane is technically grounded whether there was a date there or not. IOW when you do the inspection, early, on-time, or late isn’t driven by logging the next due date.

Personally I don’t put a date in my log, but I do keep a sheet in my POH that lists all my next inspection dates (condition, pitot/static, and transponder), plus my next oil change, and ELT & main battery replacement dates.

Last edited:
Simple?You complete a condition inspection, make the appropriate log entries then go fly. It?s the same for standard certificated aircraft that are out of annual. Putting a date down doesn?t do anything other than serve as a reminder because if you go past the 12 months the plane is technically grounded whether there was a date there or not. IOW when you do the inspection, early, on-time, or late isn?t driven by logging the next due date.

Personally I don?t put a date in my log, but I do keep a sheet in my POH that lists all my next inspection dates (condition, pitot/static, and transponder), plus my next oil change, and ELT & main battery replacement dates.

Exactly.. I understand and agree with what you said. I was just trying to state that it's silly to have a "required by" date written in the book. Sure, it's a good reminder to put on your calendar, but not in the logbook. .

Exactly.. I understand and agree with what you said. I was just trying to state that it's silly to have a "required by" date written in the book. Sure, it's a good reminder to put on your calendar, but not in the logbook. .

My guess is that Gil was paraphrasing. I don't think an inspector would use the words "required by" under these circumstances. The correct terminology would be "due".

Last edited:
When I do an inspection, I include a sticker with the builder certification wording if you don't already have it. Then after inspection is passed, I add:

"I find that this aircraft, N1234, meets the requirements for a special airworthiness certificate for the purpose of Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft and have issued a special airworthiness certificate dated ________________. The next inspection is due __________________."

Signed:____________________________ DAR _______________

Well, I went back to look at mine, and sure enough, it had the "next inspection is due on" words. That's the last time that phrase appears in my logs, as I never put down anything more than is *required* by the FAA to complete the annual CI.

Why anyone would add more than what is required, I dunno...the amateur lawyer in me says don't do that, but that's just my opinion.

Back