What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Complete on our RV-12 - N321UT

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
We drove up and reassembled the plane yesterday after it had been at the paint shop for the past 4 weeks and we were very happy with the results. We really liked this scheme from a -12 in England and decided to go with it after going through a few designs. (thanks Jerry)
Just a few more things to add and it will be complete. It is a very fun plane to fly with great visibility, quick responsiveness and so simple. Great job Van's Aircraft, thanks again.

IMG8544-X2.jpg

IMG8541-X2.jpg

IMG8540-X2.jpg

IMG8542-X2.jpg

IMG8510-X2.jpg

IMG8526-X2.jpg

IMG8522-X2.jpg

Last edited:
RE: Beautiful

Absolutely beautiful.......Now fly the heck out of it ..... Hope to see it and you guys here in the 1L8 Ksgu ..... Grassy Meadows ...... soon.

Frank

My RV-12 in TX

Super paint scheme on your -12. What does a paint job cost up in Utah? The quality is apparent. Also, after construction have you experienced any slight movement in your right wing when attempting to move it back and forth at the wing tip? Any adjustment to the forward or rear wing spar? Thanks. E. Burdick

Congratulations

Congratulations on finishing the plane. Now that it's painted, any chance of a report on it's performance flying in the mountains?

Copy Cat...!!

Excellent, Scott - colours (sorry, 'colors' ;) ) look good.

And here is the original for those that didn't see it:

nex6120512023resize.jpg

Beautiful 12. Well done! Anyone that has seen your 10 fully expected your 12 would turn out just like this. Now you can have more kids since you have RV seats for 6. :)

Thanks

Paint looks fantastic!

(mind if I 'borrow' some of the concept / lines in about a year?) :)

Not at all. I stole the lines too, just changed the colors and location on the wings to reduce the amount of gray. I think I would have done one shade darker on the wings.

vette_guy
My RV-12 in TX
Super paint scheme on your -12. What does a paint job cost up in Utah? The quality is apparent. Also, after construction have you experienced any slight movement in your right wing when attempting to move it back and forth at the wing tip? Any adjustment to the forward or rear wing spar? Thanks. E. Burdick

I had quotes between $7500 and $9500.
I have not seen any movement but will check it. I still need to add the gap seal.

Congratulations on finishing the plane. Now that it's painted, any chance of a report on it's performance flying in the mountains?

So far it is great. I initially set the pitch and had it pitched too low, needed more RPM. I was on the low end of Van's static RPM. Repitched it again to the high end and thought I had it nailed. I was climbing out at 5200 RPM around 80 degrees outside. The past couple of weeks have been 95+ degrees and I am only seeing 5080 RPM on climb out and definitely want more. I will repitch one more time. I would rather have a better climb right now with two people.
As for speed, without the front nose wheel fairing I am seeing 122 kts TAS at 5500 RPM.

Scott - you saying that now just after I returned from Oshkosh....!!

Okay, the RV stayed at home this year. I'll start planning for 2014, then. :)

BuzzJ

Really like your paint scheme and colors! Beautiful! Is it permissible to use your plan/colors with a few mods? Also...is your roll bar and other canopy frame components gray...or is it white...hard to tell from the pics. I'm installing the canopy now. Any advice about painting the frame components and roll bar before I install the canopy? Thank you so much!

Looking good in the sun, Joeri!

Buzz - no copyright (as you can see!) so feel free to copy. Roll bar and the rest of the untrimmed interior panel is grey - actually Hartzell grey from an aerosol (hold on - 'rattle cans' to you lot) coated in clear lacquer. Polishes up nicely.

I would get everything you can painted before you attach the clear bits.

Looking good in the sun, Joeri!

Blue is quite dark when in the shade. When its perpendicular to the sun it gets a few tones lighter. I will post the color numbers when I get them from the painter (grey and blue are Peugeot metallic colors).
The painter loved the lines :D (not) . We failed a bit at the aft window (white is a bit small).

Thanks Jerry!

IMG_3521.JPG

We drove up and reassembled the plane yesterday after it had been at the paint shop for the past 4 weeks and we were very happy with the results. We really liked this scheme from a -12 in England and decided to go with it after going through a few designs. (thanks Jerry)
Just a few more things to add and it will be complete. It is a very fun plane to fly with great visibility, quick responsiveness and so simple. Great job Van's Aircraft, thanks again.

IMG8544-X2.jpg

Scott,

I would like to add your RV-12 to the RV-12 Photo Album. If that is OK with you, could you send me:

Date of First Flight
SN
Place of First Flight

Thanks!

Don

Pretty little airplane for sure. Not "over done," but just right.
Would like to see a little subtle accent on each wheel fairing though.

Back