What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodining long parts...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm about to clean and alodine the aft wing spars. What's your technique for cleaning and alodining parts that won't fit in a container?

I have used PVC pipe, cap one end and fill with Alodyne. For longer parts, cap both ends, cut lengthwise in the band saw to make a trough. Build a cradle to hols the trough and go for it.

You could also make a trough from 2x4s and visqueen or such.

Good luck.

I just used one of the crates that Van's used and lined lined it with plastic. Granted, there are several nice long, but skinny crates that Van ships for the RV-10 that may not be used with the other models.

Bear in mind the part does not have to soak to the gills in the solution. It may be wiped on with a sponge or cloth that has been saturated in the solution. Also it may be sprayed.The main thing is to not let it dry before being rinsed.
A single piece of plastic could contain all that might run off.

Randy Hooper

If you've got access to one of those FoodSaver vacuum bag devices, buy a roll of the bagging material, seal one end, and you've got a nice long bag you can put long parts in. Pour in the alodine, roll up the open end a few times, put a clothespin on it and then let it sit for a few minutes. Open the end and drain it back into your container.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Spraying with a...

Bear in mind the part does not have to soak to the gills in the solution. It may be wiped on with a sponge or cloth that has been saturated in the solution. Also it may be sprayed.The main thing is to not let it dry before being rinsed.
A single piece of plastic could contain all that might run off.

Randy Hooper

...household plant type mister bottle works well.

Just make sure to get the cheap one with the plastic works.

Internal metal parts would probably contaminate the alodine, and would certainly get etched by the acid...:)

Back