What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on Lycoming Engine Rebuild Manual

Vans101

Well Known Member
I am looking for a rebuild/overhaul manual for the Lycoming engine...specifically a step by step manual on how to disassemble, inspect, reassemble, check tolerances, torque values, etc.

I have a great deal of automotive engine experience and my neighbor is a car race engine builder so we each know the right end of a torque wrench to use...however each engine ever made has certain gotchas and other tricks and such so some kind of comprehensive manual is imperative to read/study/read/study/do...

I see that this manual is available:

https://www.emanualonline.com/Engin..._Ca6k7wY5oxC4KHcUMascJZNVNgIGrcQaAkRuEALw_wcB

Is it good?

Any better or additional manuals to get?

THANKS for your advice

Lycoming

Sky Ranch Engine manual is by far the best at explaining the in's and outs.
Lycoming overhaul Manual plus the table of limits.
an up to date parts Manual is a must.
A complete list of AD's,Sb's
ebay has a lot of stuff listed.Some stuff is free for the printing.
If you come to Oshkosh,Lycoming puts on a school over the course of the week.
You can also take the class in Williamsport Pa.
A lot depends on what type of core you have and what your end goal is.

Confusing I know. Its a simple engine, designed 80 years ago to do one thing.The engine you buy today is a mature product,the result of many many flight hours and factory modification's,nice to know when you can't get out and walk.
RHill

!!!WARNING e Manual Online.com Is A Rip-off!!!

Hey everybody?.Warning eManualOnline.com is a ripoff and you will NOT get what you pay for!!!

They are the masters at false advertising and they just screwed me out of some money.

Example:

The advertise a book called ?Lycoming Direct Drive 4 6 8 cylinder aircraft Engine Overhaul Service Manual?

However?what you get is actually called ?Overhaul Manual Direct Drive Engine? a manual that is freely available on the internet at this link:

https://www.expaircraft.com/PDF/Lycoming-OH-Manual.pdf

I pointed out their error and they told me to pound sand so I now have to waste my time disputing with my credit card company.

So I got screwed out of 20 bucks because eManualOnline.com is a **** liar and a thief

A lot of companies offer something for a fee that is available free elsewhere. It's the nature of the internet.

20 buck lesson

There are a couple of warning indicators on that website: there is no preview for the manual and there are no relevant genuine customer reviews for the manual.

Caveat Emptor originated before the internet and some humans have been creatively exploiting each other since the beginning of time.

For $20, I'd write it off and get on with life, but thanks for the heads up.

Most of the info you will need is in Service Instructions, Letters and Bulletins. Most of these are available at www.lycoming.com. For instance the pub that has mandatory parts replacements for an overhaul is SB 240. They have a pretty good table of contents to find the proper info.

The Superior manual is really pretty good. The parts manual is pretty much a requirement as well.

On YouTube, you could search for Skyward Tech videos for Lycoming engine overhauls - these were done in cooperation with Mattituck (I think). One example is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE86oTPzNBQ - it will give some idea what the process is like.

See if you can find someone who attended the Lycoming engine school(s) before they stopped the paper subscriptions. If I recall, they usually provided a complete set of service bulletins etc. for a year after the school attendance. Otherwise, you should probably consider a subscription service.

Dan

Back