What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easiest way to update Garmin devices

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I have a houseful of Apple type electronics. I was told that Garmin updates just work easier on a non apple os computer. Has anyone had luck using a chromebook for updating SD cards? Or would i be better served with a microsoft laptop?

How do you update?

Thanks

Garmin does not play well with Macs!
This problem even extends to the Garmin auto products. I almost went with Dynon instead of Garmin for this reason but ended up with the G3X touch. Great product but updates are always a frustrating adventure.

After upgrading to Catalina, I could no longer update my database. A call to Garmin and after 30 minutes of changing setting, permissions, it worked, or so I thought. One file never did update. Just tried again and the app comes to a standstill. Tried downloading the newest Garmin operating system for the G3X, it also came to a standstill. I will call Garmin again later today when I have time to waste.

To late to switch out of Garmin, may have to buy a cheap Windows (ugh, how do they work?) just to keep the plane up to date.

Scott A. Jordan

Newer or older Garmin units?

Brand new. I have dual G3x?s and a GTN650. Im curious if i can reliably use an iPad with a SD card adapter to update. Or, a chromebook with a SD card or a windows based laptop? If I need to buy a windows machine Id like to know soon with Black Friday in a few days.

I have zero issues updating all my garmin stuff using my mac. the instructions are well written and aren't complicated.

You can't do it from an iPhone/iPad. You need a full computer.

Hello Rob,

You can use a Macintosh computer to update databases for both the GTN 650 and G3X Touch displays. This will not be a problem.

We periodically update the operating software for both of these units, available on our EAB Software download page which can be found here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=12531

For the G3X Touch system, we have software downloads for both Windows and Other Operating systems (.zip file).

The only thing you will not be able to do is create a software loader card for the GTN using your Macintosh machine. This can typically only be run on a Windows platform without extra tools. That being said the GTN software is only updated once or twice a year.

We have a group within Garmin that is available 7 days a week to assist with any issues updating your databases, or any pilot side questions in general. Their phone number is 1-866-739-5687.

Thanks,
Steve

Back