What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borrow a 2 1/4 instrument punch?

Iluke

Well Known Member
Would anyone be willing to lend me a Greenlee style hole punch in the right size for a 2 1/4 inch steam gauge? I only need to punch 2 holes for AS and ALT gauges as back ups to the Dynon I?m installing. I?d pay shipping of course.

Thanks
Ivan

Ivan Luke
21 Forest Glen Dr
Hope Valley RI 02832

Thanks a bunch! I don?t mind buying tools, for only two holes it just didn?t make sense on this one
Ivan

Punch a test hole in some scrap metal before committing to the Greenlee punch. IIRC! The greenlee punch makes a different size hole from the hole you get with a true instrument punch.

2 1/4? instrument holes

After a minor modification I’ve had great results with the metal cutting hole saws available at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Cut a test hole in scrap material similar to the panel and test fit the instrument. The hole will likely be slightly oversize. If so chuck the hole saw in a cordless drill, turn it slowly against a belt sander to remove some of the width from the outer teeth and test cut another hole. With a little grinding you can adjust the hole saw to a perfect fit.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Last edited:
Ivan, I've got a true instrument punch if you want to use it. It cuts 2 1/4" &
3 1/8" holes. PM me with info if you want to use it.
Allen
Very slow build 7A

Back