What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Down in Nevada, Pax OK

Local news here in Reno,NV reported an RV-7A crashed near Dayton Valley Airpark. No one was hurt seriously. The media stated the aircraft appeared to have lost power. The aircraft registration N512MJ, was Mike Jimenez of Dayton, NV

RV-7 Down in Nevada

additional information from the media showed a picture of the aircraft. It landed off field and flipped over. The cockpit was intact and the cockpit structure was intact. Another testament to the structural integrity of Vans aircraft.

Last edited:
That would be 51MJ. FAA records show it to be a "Standard Category" aircraft.
Obviously an error.

That's our home airpark, but Louise and I are not home this weekend. It is, in fact, Mike Jimenez' airplane, and reports we got immediately after the mishap were that they were being helped out of the inverted plane and were standing before taking a ride to get checked out at the hospital. Initial reports are that he lost the engine inbound to the airport and ended up in the desert short of the runway - and that they did flip.

We'll be home tomorrow and will find out more.

Very glad that Mike and Shiela appear to be OK, and sorry about the damage to a beautiful airplane - but so long as it brings the occupants through intact, it has done its job.

Paul

A friend called and talked to him this morning and they are OK. He is home and his wife was kept overnight in the hospital. He is bringing her home today. Mike said he cut a finger and they were just bruised and sore.

Don't know what happened except he said the engine quit.

The reporter says the airplane sustained "minor damage." :eek:

That'll buff out, right?

Glad they're ok. I'd be curious to hear how they got out.

The reporter says the airplane sustained "minor damage." :eek:

That'll buff out, right?

Glad they're ok. I'd be curious to hear how they got out.

We had lunch with Mike, the builder and pilot, today and chatted with his wife afterwards - both in good spirits, and Mike did a great job of flying to keep them alive. He was in a spot over the mountains with very few options except to get to the flat desert near the airfield, and when he knew he couldn't make the runway, he flew the airplane as far into the forced landing as he could. Lots of sagebrush and soft sand contributed to the flip - it was probably unavoidabe given a nosedragger and the location.

The cockpit is full of dirt, but the rollbar saved them. The fire department got them out by lifting one wing far enough to get them out the broken canopy. Like most A-model fips I have seen pictures of, the cabin was very intact and did a great job of protecting the occupants.

Quick question

Missed the initial report of this and haven't seen any pictures yet...was this a tip up or a slider?
Good news that both are OK.

How does clearance compare . . .

Really glad to know they walked away in good shape . . .

This brings up what the clearance difference might be etween the tip up and slider? I am sorta hesitant to ask this question, but with the same head room seating position for the two, do the two roll bar locations give the same head to ground clearance ?

The tip-up has the line drawn from the nose to the bar, and the slider is between the bar and the VS or aft fuse, if the VS is not included or damaged.

I am assuming each would have equal stretch due to belts, clothes etc.

Honestly, it "looks" like the slider offers greater head to runway clearance. But does anyone know the numbers?

Glad to hear they were OK. Off airport with soft/variable terrain is almost impossible to stay upright on when we have such small tires.

For fact finding only- The nose gear leg looked like it bent at the mount and at the nosewheel with the rest being relatively straight. Did this aircraft have the antisplat nose job?

I doubt the outcome would vary given the terrain, but it is a test case for how the gear bends if it was installed.

It's great that this turned out well. With the condition of the aircraft it looks like determining the cause of the failure should be easy. Any updates on that aspect of the accident. The why always concerns me so I can hopefully avoid the same issue.
George

I do not know the accident fatalities or injuries between the slider and the tip-up.
I turned my 7A upside down and I believe the roll bar saved me. Only scratch I got was one getting out of the God broken canopy.

I had the antisplat on mine too. Cannot say it did not help, but it turned over anyway.

Sorry to see that happen to anyone.
Dave

I do not know the accident fatalities or injuries between the slider and the tip-up.
I turned my 7A upside down and I believe the roll bar saved me. Only scratch I got was one getting out of the God broken canopy.

I had the antisplat on mine too. Cannot say it did not help, but it turned over anyway.

Sorry to see that happen to anyone.
Dave

Same here on it happening.

With regard to head clearance with a slider, there's plenty. When I flipped I was in a rush to get out and opened the seat belt too quickly before bracing for the fall on broken canopy, cut my scalp a little. There was plenty of room to wiggle around, paw some sand and crawl out. The canopy was cracked and broken and kicked out easy. The roll over bar is a life saver for sure.

Was standing next to the airplane in no time trying to accept what happened....it ain't fun but it is good to be alive after such an event. Fuel was leaking but no fire thank goodness.

Same here on it happening.

With regard to head clearance with a slider, there's plenty. When I flipped I was in a rush to get out and opened the seat belt too quickly before bracing for the fall on broken canopy, cut my scalp a little. There was plenty of room to wiggle around, paw some sand and crawl out. The canopy was cracked and broken and kicked out easy. The roll over bar is a life saver for sure.

Was standing next to the airplane in no time trying to accept what happened....it ain't fun but it is good to be alive after such an event. Fuel was leaking but no fire thank goodness.

Question about the remander of your broken canopy being kicked out easy, was yours riveted or silka? I am thinking that my silka canopy would be more dificult to kick out with the perimiter being glued on tight?

Question about the remander of your broken canopy being kicked out easy, was yours riveted or silka? I am thinking that my silka canopy would be more dificult to kick out with the perimiter being glued on tight?

Good point, it was riveted. I would be more difficult with sika, the bond is very strong.

Last edited:
Good point, it was riveted. I would be more difficult with sika, the bound is very strong.

Happy to hear the folks involved in this are going to be ok. When I am done I think I will have a small Crash Ax with me. I've seen a video on here a while back, someone breaking out of a conopy with one in a shop or hanger.

Happy to hear the folks involved in this are going to be ok. When I am done I think I will have a small Crash Ax with me. I've seen a video on here a while back, someone breaking out of a conopy with one in a shop or hanger.

The Life Hammer got pretty good reviews...it's pretty small and fits in the map box easily. I bought one a while back.

Whatever you decide to carry, PLEASE maker sure it is secured in the cockpit.
You certainly don't want it flying around during an uncommanded outside loop on the ground.

yea

Good advise Mel. Instead of an oreo flying into your mouth, you'll get an ax.......

Whatever you decide to carry, PLEASE maker sure it is secured in the cockpit.
You certainly don't want it flying around during an uncommanded outside loop on the ground.

Any updates on the cause of the engine failure?
George

The airplane is sitting on our neigbor's ramp, and we'd love to dive in and figure it out - but he was contacted by the NTSB who told him that they want to investigate, and he was not to touch it - so no, we don't have any answers.

Paul

Just a thought, for the A models, why not have a tail hook / tie down that looks like an air seeder knife to convert to a tail dragger for forced landings off field?

I only landed a friends 9A once but it was easy to carry the tail in an almost dragging attitude for a long distance without any crow hopping or feeling that it wanted to get back in the air. Just sink the tail hook after the mains are on.:D

New product for Allen??

And would 6.00 x 6 tires be any help for off-field landings? Has anyone done this setup on an RV?

I've got another speculative question, for those who have experience with this.

Would it be possible to cause a ground loop upon touchdown to prevent the taildragger from flipping over?

Glenn Wilkinson

I've got another speculative question, for those who have experience with this.

Would it be possible to cause a ground loop upon touchdown to prevent the taildragger from flipping over?

Glenn Wilkinson

I suspect you'll be over on your back long before you can get the traction to ground loop.

When I am done I think I will have a small Crash Ax with me. I've seen a video on here a while back, someone breaking out of a conopy with one in a shop or hanger.

It might have been my video that you saw, Bret. I donated my ruined canopy to a chapter 105 meeting in my shop, so that a safety demonstration could be performed. Here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/63eMVRQkM6c

I definitely like the idea of carrying a canopy cracking tool like this, securely fixed to the aircraft but within easy reach. My canopy is completely SikaFlex'd in place so I have even more reason to carry one. I'm very happy to hear that they walked away from this accident!

At work we maintain everything from sno cats, TTs, and even electric vehicles, GEM, last week, I had to replace a broken plexi sun roof that was installed with windshield urethane, I'm assuming Silka is similar, I can't tell you how difficult it was to remove that plexi from the frame, hammer and sharp chizzle, many types of razor blades ect. The sharp broken pieces of plexi did not want to come off the frame. All I can imagine is if the canopy did break, there would be many sharp knife like pieces of the canopy remaining along the edges to cut the heck out of you.

Back