What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unloading Quickbuilds

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I am expecting my wing and fuse quick build crates soon.

I live in San Diego.

I'm told I am responsible for getting the crates off of the truck.
Given that I don't have a forklift, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this? Or does anyone know of a carrier that will handle that part as well?

strong back, weak mind

Happy to help (hitches up trousers) if you need another pair of hands to lift & tote.

Partain

Use the services of Tony Partain Transportation. They arrive with a very nice truck and no crates. Just have your wing and fuselage dollies ready. Easy to unload with a few buddies.

If you have access to a trailer, or even a pickup truck, picking up at the terminal might be an option. Even a pickup will have a lower bed than a transport truck. I picked mine (not quickbuild, though) up at the terminal, saved probably close to $100, & unloaded alone by sliding the crate back just far enough to tilt it to the ground using a come-along & cargo straps. Then grabbed the other end with the straps/come-along, drove out from under, & lowered to the ground.

FWIW...

Charlie

Shipper

If you have access to a trailer, or even a pickup truck, picking up at the terminal might be an option. Even a pickup will have a lower bed than a transport truck. I picked mine (not quickbuild, though) up at the terminal, saved probably close to $100, & unloaded alone by sliding the crate back just far enough to tilt it to the ground using a come-along & cargo straps. Then grabbed the other end with the straps/come-along, drove out from under, & lowered to the ground.

FWIW...

Charlie

I didn't trust the shipper so I rented a U Haul and picked the crated up at the dock. They helped put them in and I used furniture dollies to roll them down the ramp into my garage. It took more effort to stack them in the garage.

When ever I have something big I go pick it up at their terminal. They always seem to have someone with a forklift to bring it out and put it on my trailer for me. With that said, those crates are going to be pretty big. Renting a Uhaul or maybe hiring a rollback to pick it up at the terminal for you would be an option.
If Partain is bringing it you should not have a problem, their driver will help.

In the next step, don't throw away any of the wood from the crate. It has innumerable uses including building an airplane.

QB wing crates

Can the QB wings be shipped standing on end?

I was thinking about taking the 5 hour drive to the factory with my 18' flatbed trailer and pick up the Fuse and wings all at once. Using the dimensions of the crates for the -8, one of the wings would be standing on end.

thoughts?

Given the size of these crates it might be worth it to rent a forklift for the day. I'm not sure how much it would cost or how difficult they are to drive but if its $200 it might be worth it. I'm sure they could be moved around with a couple of furniture dollies once you get them close to where you want them. I have slow build wings and the FEDX freight guy was able to use his dolly and roll it down my driveway.

You might also be able to rent a Uhaul with a lift gate for about $50 for the day. I'm not sure if these crates could be turned to fit on the gate and lowered. I've had big stuff before that I just slid out and then tipped it to the ground. Then you could lower the other end.

Yep - Partain

Great service to my garage and the driver helped me unload my kit from his low bed trailer. I'm a very satisfied customer.:cool:

My vote is for picking up at the dock. I did that several times. There are a number of advantages: 1) they will use a forklift to put it on whatever you have at no charge, 2) if there is damage, you have plenty of time to take pictures, argue, whatever, 3) if what you bring to pick it up won't fit it (i.e. your trailer is too small) they will hang on to it and you can come back later, no charge.

If the guy shows up at your house and you can't unload it, he's going to be unhappy, he's going to rush you, and they're going to charge you for a failed delivery.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Partain was perfect

I ended up using Partain. The experience was perfect. There were several RV's in the truck. I saved the $500 crating charge, and didn't have to dispose of the crates. I highly recommend going that path.

I'm told I am responsible for getting the crates off of the truck.
Given that I don't have a forklift, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this? Or does anyone know of a carrier that will handle that part as well?

It is light (it's all aluminum aircraft parts). A couple helpers and no problems.

When getting my kits, I called the shipper on the receiving end. I told them I would need help getting it into my garage. The sent an extra hand. I added a little more but was worth it, to my back.

Bob

Back