What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (03-25-2013) Garmin G3X Products and Prices

Will you be at Sun'n Fun and if not, who will be the go-to person to ask about these products?

Hello Bill,

Steve, John, Joe and I will all be at Sun-N-Fun at various times this year. Stop on by and say hello!

- Matt

Backup instruments for G3X.

I was planning on G3X installation with Dynon D6 as backup.
If I understand all the discussions correctly then I wonder if the 3 screen G3X still need a backup (for IFR).
Seems there will be dual and independant ADAHRS? If correct, that means both independant must fail before complete failure?
With 2 PFD's functioning independantly from 2 independant ADAHRS, is another backup still needed?
Does the G3X units have their own internal backup batteries?
These are open questions, thinking aloud. Keen to hear your perspectives.
Johan

Does the G3X units have their own internal backup batteries?

Johan

The G3X system does not have built in backup batteries however they do provide multiple power inputs that can be interfaced with third party backup power systems like the TCW units or other home-brewed systems. I installed a home-brew system that has proven to work very well so far. I kinda liked having the ability to roll my own. I was able to do it with very little cost compared to some of the built in options out there.

Last edited:
Regarding installations with multiple AHRS (whether it be AFS, Dynon, GRT or Garmin) I'm a staunch supporter of a 3rd indpendent "tie breaker" instrumnent. Two AHRS boxes are great for redundance, but not great if IFR work as it relates to reliability in an emergency. Yes, you have a backup box if the primary dies or fails, but what if you have a systematic problem (either software, hardware, pitot/static, etc..).?

Here's a simple question to answer. If you're in the clouds with 2 AHRS boxes then you have some sort of systematic issue with the system you are using and you have a "mismatch" of the two systems where one shows a left bank and the other shows a right bank....which is correct? You absolutely should have a 3rd tie breaker (in the big iron they all have independent peanut gyros for that reason). Something like the Dynon D1/D6/D10, the TruTrak Gemimi, the RC Allen Digital Gyro, etc.. are a must if you plan much travel in the clouds at all.

Just my 2 cents as usual! I'm a big fan of dual AHRS installs, but also a fan of an added "tie breaker".

Cheers,
Stein

That fits with my own concept of redundancy. Two identical systems are not redundant. They share the same modes of failure, whether hardware or software or resources like power. To get real redundancy, you need separately-designed systems that are actually different.

How often is that designed in?

Dave

That fits with my own concept of redundancy. Two identical systems are not redundant. They share the same modes of failure, whether hardware or software or resources like power. To get real redundancy, you need separately-designed systems that are actually different.

How often is that designed in?

Dave

I think for those that need it, pretty often. There are still some that think two AHRS's are good enough. That is their choice but I for one wanted a totally independent system for my backup. I found that in the form of the Gemini PFD but it could have been one of the other options available in this type form factor.

That being said, I will most likely still add a second AHRS to my G3X system for all the other benefits it can provide like adding AOA back to my panel and the non-common mode redundancy it will bring to the system. The automatic miscompare monitoring and annunciation and auto-switching upon failure will help prevent the need to use the backup and most likely would give someone advance notice of many types of pending AHRS failures.

Having reliable backup power is a must have in any all electric airplane operating under IFR.

The easiest and most complete "third leg" of redundancy I have foudn woudl be a Tru Trak Gemini - atttude and airspeed/altitude. You can do the same thing with a Dynon D10A. Either one gives you totally independent software and hardware (and power is simple).

For backup I really like Dynon D6 because is similar to airbus ISIS (integrated standby instrument system) and has his own internal backup battery, that will protect you from a total electrical failure.

Just my 2 cents;)

The easiest and most complete "third leg" of redundancy I have foudn woudl be a Tru Trak Gemini - atttude and airspeed/altitude. You can do the same thing with a Dynon D10A. Either one gives you totally independent software and hardware (and power is simple).

The MGL Velocity Singles line seems to be a pretty slick and inexpensive solution for backup as well. Don't hear too much about them, but I just met a gent building an -8 with the dual G3X system and a few of these. Pretty neat.

Independent System(s)

For backup I really like Dynon D6 because is similar to airbus ISIS (integrated standby instrument system) and has his own internal backup battery, that will protect you from a total electrical failure.

Just my 2 cents;)

+1

My backup is also a D6. It is completely independent with an internal battery backup. So if two units disagree, it is the tie-breaker that will tell me which one of the two is correct. AND I can loose everything yet still land with just the D6 on battery. But then again I also have a GARMIN AERA 500 with the pseudo HSI page available and a TRIO autopilot (wing leveler). :cool:

Regarding installations with multiple AHRS (whether it be AFS, Dynon, GRT or Garmin) I'm a staunch supporter of a 3rd indpendent "tie breaker" instrumnent. Two AHRS boxes are great for redundance, but not great if IFR work as it relates to reliability in an emergency. Yes, you have a backup box if the primary dies or fails, but what if you have a systematic problem (either software, hardware, pitot/static, etc..).?

Here's a simple question to answer. If you're in the clouds with 2 AHRS boxes then you have some sort of systematic issue with the system you are using and you have a "mismatch" of the two systems where one shows a left bank and the other shows a right bank....which is correct? You absolutely should have a 3rd tie breaker (in the big iron they all have independent peanut gyros for that reason). Something like the Dynon D1/D6/D10, the TruTrak Gemimi, the RC Allen Digital Gyro, etc.. are a must if you plan much travel in the clouds at all.

Just my 2 cents as usual! I'm a big fan of dual AHRS installs, but also a fan of an added "tie breaker".

Cheers,
Stein

I agree and have the D6 as backup to a 3 screen G3X with a TCW iBBS. Love this setup.
Stein, The Citation Mustang is weird this way, it has the left screen and the peanut on the same system so if you have an attitude problem on the left side those two will agree with each other. A favorite failure for Flight Safety instructors.

What happens when the GSU 25 ADAHRS loses it's GPS input?

Depends!

Not sure about the GSU25 since I don't have a manual for it yet but the GSU73 is as follows:

24pj3bp.jpg

I can only imagine that the GSU 25 will have a similar table.

Can the G3X system cross fill the GPS 696 handheld?

Hello LewMac,

The G3X system doesn't have an Aviation Out serial port format, but if you are using a Garmin GNS or GTN navigator with your G3X system, you can connect your 696 to that, set that serial port to Aviation Out and it will send flight plans to the 696.

Thanks,
Steve

More precise numbers will be in the system installation manual, but for a back of the envelope power budget this should be close enough to get you in the ballpark.

Any idea when the (new) manuals will be available?
--
Mike
Building a Bearhawk

Any idea when the (new) manuals will be available?
--
Mike
Building a Bearhawk

Hello Mike,

The updated installation manual will be available later this month. If you have some specific needs that can't wait, send us an email and we will get some preliminary installation guidance to you.

Thanks,
Steve

What happens when the GSU 25 ADAHRS loses it's GPS input?

Hello Barry,

The table that Brian posted above is applicable to the GSU 73. The equivalent table for the GSU 25 is somewhat different in the sense that it has more "green boxes". We will have an updated installation manual with this information in it soon.

Like any AHRS, the GSU 25 benefits from external data (also known as "aiding") from GPS and airspeed information. However, the GSU 25 can operate in a reversionary mode if both GPS and pitot data are missing. In this case it will function similarly to a mechanical attitude indicator.

There is of course a lot of "secret sauce" required to properly design an AHRS that can do this, which is one of the ways we benefit from having access to the technology found in our certified product family.

- Matt

Sun-N-Fun G3X Seminar Schedule

Hello Everyone,

We wanted to let you know that Matt and I will be taking turns presenting a G3X seminar on these new products at Sun-N-Fun next week. This should be a good opportunity to get your questions answered.

The G3X seminar is from 11:00 to 12:00 each day (Tues-Sat) in Garmin seminar tent 11.

If you walk out of the Northeast door of Exhibit Building D (where the Garmin booths are) you will see the Garmin seminar tent.

We have two brand new G3X demonstration kiosks loaded with all the new products including the GSA 28 servos, GMC 305 autopilot control panel, GSU 25 ADAHRS, GEA 24 engine interface, GAP 26 pitot/AOA probe, and GAD 29 ARINC 429 interface box.

The 3 display "RV-10" kiosk is a dual ADAHRS installation with GTN 750 that even has a 3 axis autopilot installed with the yaw damper servo.

The 2 display "RV-8" kiosk is a more basic VFR system with a 2 axis autopilot and GMC 305. We think you will be impressed with the simplicity and compactness of the new system. The basic modules that make up a two display system (2 displays, ADAHRS, engine interface, OAT probe, and magnetometer) only weigh about 5 lbs (excluding wiring harness). Since GSA 28 servos only weigh 1.4 lbs each, even adding an autopilot doesn't turn your plane into a porker.

We have just added support for a takeoff and go-around (TO/GA) button which adds new flight director and autopilot capabilities and both of the kiosks have these buttons installed.

We have both of the new kiosks mounted on pedestals this year so it is easier to walk around the back and see all the components that make up these G3X systems.

We look forward to seeing many of you there.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
SNF Seminar Deals

I was informed that there may be some seminars with coupons involved?:)

Hello Damon,

Good question. We are going to be announcing some rebate and seminar buck programs that should show up on our promotions web page soon.

There are some deals on portable GPS units purchased both individually and in combination with GDL 39 units that will be announced.

No SNF deals on G3X - as discussed above, you already have our best prices there! :)

Thanks,
Steve

OK

OK, I will come down to the show and ask all the questons I can think of.
This one is for down the road a bit as I got to thinking. Can Garmin give us an "ELT" for both our little birds and our TSO birds as well. I would like to see one like my other brand unit. With less weight, using "C" cell batterys insted of "D" cells, one that has a status panle as many do now, but that can be fed input from the "GSP" sytems in the panle so it well show the last spot were I hit the ant hill so to speek. OH and keep the cost to ah say 700.
JUst wishfull thinking or maybe a way to try and pay you back for that 750 nav. com. I would like to ("think") I need. Your as alway R.E.A. III #80888

Not wishful thinking

Today $700 will buy you an ACK 406 MHz ELT which fills your bill except for the C cells. All these units use lithium batteries to meet the run time spec with reasonable weight.

Confused about GAD 29 adapter

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the GAD 29 adapter. What does it do that a standard G3X and 430 for IFR functioning?

Thanks

Danny,

Most panel mounted TSO'd GPS's like the GTN/GNS series have digital ARINC 429 interfaces for interconnecting themselves to other devices. Saves a ton of wiring and offers better performance over the analog interfaces.

This module just provides the physical interface needed to marry the 430 to the G3X system digitally.

Prior to the new modular products, the ARINC 429 interface was built into the GSU73.

Last edited:
GX3

Heading to SNF to look at GX3 looks like good stuff hope to see some Exp. radios from Garmin like is being promised by dynon by the big one in Oshkosh.

Any news when the new install manuals will be available online?

I already have the Trio autopilot servo installed. (You could have released the new Garmin products a few weeks earlier!) Trio communicates with the G3x via ARINC and RS232. Due to the usage of ARINC does this mean I will still need to install a GAD29 adapter.

At this stage there will be no IFR GPS.

Thanks!

Haydn, I attended the Garmin G3X seminar at SNF and was told that revision H to the G3X Install Manual would be out by the end of the month (April). Along with all the other new install manuals.

I already have the Trio autopilot servo installed. (You could have released the new Garmin products a few weeks earlier!) Trio communicates with the G3x via ARINC and RS232. Due to the usage of ARINC does this mean I will still need to install a GAD29 adapter.

Thanks!

I am no expert on the Trio GX Pro Pilot AP to G3X integration but it is my understanding that the Trio only uses RS232 communications with the G3X and does not require the ARINC connection.

Thanks!

Hello Haydn,

Yes, Brian is correct. As shown on page D-10 of the current Rev. G G3X Installation manual, the Trio GX Pro only needs an RS-232 interface to the PFD, and no ARINC 429, so you do not require a GAD 29 interface for that autopilot.

We hope to wrap up all the changes to the G3X Installation manual by the end of the month.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks

Thanks to Matt and all the guys that were down at "Sun-N-Fun". We came away with a lot of data on the new stuff and are milling it over to get our heads around what we can use in our aplecation. I looked at everyones toys that were at the show not just yours and have to say that yours was the most outstanding of all I looked at. It may seam funny but the little things often come to mined the best. We will put the 305 with the "Yaw- botton" on it in even if we don't ever get to use it. If both units are the same price, why don't you guys stop making the other unit and just offer a cover for the extra button. It all looks very good to me. Thanks again.
Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks to Matt and all the guys that were down at "Sun-N-Fun". We came away with a lot of data on the new stuff and are milling it over to get our heads around what we can use in our aplecation. I looked at everyones toys that were at the show not just yours and have to say that yours was the most outstanding of all I looked at. It may seam funny but the little things often come to mined the best. We will put the 305 with the "Yaw- botton" on it in even if we don't ever get to use it. If both units are the same price, why don't you guys stop making the other unit and just offer a cover for the extra button. It all looks very good to me. Thanks again.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your kind words and input. We had a great time at SNF talking to so many existing and soon-to-be new G3X customers. Now, back to work!

We certainly considered only offering the 1 model of the GMC 305 autopilot control panel with the YD (yaw damper) button, but ultimately decided to give customers the choice of either with or without the YD button at the same price.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve, any word on CO Guardian support? I have my remote 454 wired to trip a discrete input, but have the rs-232 connected to the guardian and coiled up behind the G3X screens because my confidence in your getting there is high. Am I dreaming?

[...] any word on CO Guardian support? I have my remote 454 wired to trip a discrete input, but have the rs-232 connected to the guardian and coiled up behind the G3X screens because my confidence in your getting there is high. Am I dreaming?

Hi Bill,

Support for the CO Guardian RS-232 interface is something we want to have someday, we just haven't been able to fit it into the schedule yet. I personally am in the same boat, I have a 454 in my airplane all wired up and ready to go! I can't tell you a date at the moment, but it is something we know people have asked for and that we want to add when we get a chance.

- Matt

Hey Steve, any word on CO Guardian support? I have my remote 454 wired to trip a discrete input, but have the rs-232 connected to the guardian and coiled up behind the G3X screens because my confidence in your getting there is high. Am I dreaming?

I second that! I have mine wired to the discrete too but would like G1000 style interface with the CO guardian.

Still love my G3X setup! 340 hours on it.

I am no expert on the Trio GX Pro Pilot AP to G3X integration but it is my understanding that the Trio only uses RS232 communications with the G3X and does not require the ARINC connection.

Page 81 and 82 of the trio install manual shows both the RS232 interface and ARINC interface connected to the EFIS. I understand that only the RS232 interface is connected in the G3x interconnect drawings.

Also is there a pacific version available of the new G3x with EIS? If so what is the part number?

Thank-you

Page 81 and 82 of the trio install manual shows both the RS232 interface and ARINC interface connected to the EFIS. I understand that only the RS232 interface is connected in the G3x interconnect drawings.

Also is there a pacific version available of the new G3x with EIS? If so what is the part number?

Thank-you

That manual is generic to both the Pro Pilot and the GX Pro Autopilot. The standard GX Pro Autopilot does not even have the ARINC 429 interface chips inside of it. You can order the GX Pro Autopilot with the ARINC 429 interface chips as an option but the G3X does not use them.

Some people still want the ARINC 429 interface for the GX Pro so they can connect the AP directly to their certified GPS for redundancy. (this is how it was explained to me by the folks at Trio a while back when I was investigating my options)

Last edited:

Thank-you

Hello Haydn,

We used to break up the basemap (roads, rivers, lakes, etc) into several different areas of the world which led to multiple display part numbers including a Pacific version.

We now load a worldwide basemap at the factory into all displays that allows us to have a single display part number for the GDU 370 and one for the GDU 375.

We used to fly with a GX Pro in one of our flight test aircraft and we only had the single RS-232 connection shown in the G3X Installation Manual. We had full integrated autopilot capability without the A429 interface, but like Brian said, there may be some stand-alone capabilities available when you install the A429 interface.

Thanks,
Steve

Questions for G3 Expert

I have not found any information on-line about how to use the G3X flight director and in what modes the flight director is available.

Does your flight director work like a certificated model in that it is showing the commands the A/P is sending out to the servos, or is it like the rest of the experimental EFIS where the FD is showing the commands being sent from the EFIS to the A/P?

Is battery back-up avail for the G3X and their AHARS?

Will the G3X with an engine monitor box be able to log and download engine parameters?

What precisely does actuating the TOGA feature do?

Can the G3X provide "poor man's" approach guidance (both lateral and vertical on a user selected glide path) to any runway that the user specifies?

I would appreciate as much information as possible as I will have to decide on the system in the next several weeks.

Until these upgrades, the G3X wasn't even on the radar.

I have not found any information on-line about how to use the G3X flight director and in what modes the flight director is available.

Does your flight director work like a certificated model in that it is showing the commands the A/P is sending out to the servos, or is it like the rest of the experimental EFIS where the FD is showing the commands being sent from the EFIS to the A/P?

Is battery back-up avail for the G3X and their AHARS?

Will the G3X with an engine monitor box be able to log and download engine parameters?

What precisely does actuating the TOGA feature do?

Can the G3X provide "poor man's" approach guidance (both lateral and vertical on a user selected glide path) to any runway that the user specifies?

Hello JPalese,

We plan to have an updated install manual and pilot's guide available for download on the web soon. In the meantime, here are some answers to your questions:

The G3X flight director borrows technology from the flight director in our certified GFC 700 system. You are correct that it is much more involved than simply showing the steering commands being sent to the autopilot subsystem. The G3X flight director can be used to hand-fly all supported flight control modes, including heading, pitch, roll, GPS navigation, vertical speed, airspeed hold, altitude hold, VOR, localizer, and ILS and GPS approaches.

Most G3X components have provisions for multiple redundant power inputs. You can connect these as appropriate for your aircraft's electrical system, including battery back-up if your airplane is so equipped. If you don't already have a backup battery, it is very easy to install one, or buy a ready-built system such as the one from TCW.

The G3X system already has the ability to log a great deal of data to an SD card, which can be opened in Excel, Google Earth, or one of several free data analysis websites.

TO/GA is an optional feature often found on certified airplanes, in which you can wire a momentary pushbutton to activate either "takeoff" or "go-around" mode on the flight director, which gives you an immediate wings-level, pitch-up flight director command. It is useful both before takeoff and on a go-around, hence the name. If your IFR GPS is a GTN 6xx/7xx series, you can also wire the TO/GA button so that a single button press will simultaneously activate the missed approach procedure.

The G3X system has a VNAV utility that provides vertical navigation guidance to a waypoint of your choosing. You can also navigate to the same waypoint along an inbound course of your choosing. We prefer not to refer to this capability using the word "approach", since only the "real" approaches which are charted by the FAA or other aeronautical authority provide assurance of terrain and obstacle clearance.

- Matt

Last edited:
Hello JPalese,

We plan to have an updated install manual and pilot's guide available for download on the web soon. In the meantime, here are some answers to your questions:

The G3X system already has the ability to log a great deal of data to an SD card, which can be opened in Excel, Google Earth, or one of several free data analysis websites.

TO/GA is an optional feature often found on certified airplanes, in which you can wire a momentary pushbutton to activate either "takeoff" or "go-around" mode on the flight director, which gives you an immediate wings-level, pitch-up flight director command. It is useful both before takeoff and on a go-around,

- Matt

Hi Matt

Tnx for info

does the logged data include engine parameters like cht/egt, ff, %pwr, oat, etc.?

What kind of deck angle does toga command? Vx with flaps and Vy clean?

Dear Matt, these functionallity will need a software upgrade? when?

Hello Hern?n,

As there are new hardware devices forthcoming, so too will there naturally be a software update released in conjunction. We are currently looking for shipments to begin and the software update and final documentation updates to be available within a small number of weeks.

- Matt

does the logged data include engine parameters like cht/egt, ff, %pwr, oat, etc.?

What kind of deck angle does toga command? Vx with flaps and Vy clean?

Hello JPalese,

Correct, the logged data files contain everything of interest we could think to add!

The flight director TO/GA mode, as on certified aircraft, commands a specific pitch angle, not an airspeed. However there are of course other vertical modes, including airspeed (if a GMC 305 is installed) and vertical speed.

- Matt

Question

Ok, we have been milling these new toys's over and the initial take is. We know we need to get ready for ADS-B in 2020. If we are going to need a GPS-NAV-, and a newer "E.S." transpondert, why not be safe and complete up there. We know we can run up to three 370's, three GSU 25's. I did not ask if we can run more than one GMU 22. We hope to only use this new system for "VFR-DAY-Night", but I have been in spots were what you wanted and exspected. "You did not get". We are thinking with these newer smaller and most of all lighter boxes, that we may wish to go. A new GPS 400W, a new 255 nav-com, two GUS 25's and a two axis auto W/305.
Question- How many GMU 22's can be put in a system like this? Can the G3X and the WAAS-nav, and com talk to each other and show traffic on both with out having to have the 88, if not needed? Answer "yes" cost and weight on the 88, if not needed. I like the dual power inputs, that fits into this format well, to be split out and redundant also.

Thanks yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Hello Robert,

For those who desire it, each ADAHRS can be wired with its own magnetometer. So, yes, you could have up to three GMU 22's in the airplane if you can find a place for them. On the other hand, you also have the option of omitting the magnetometer on the #2 and #3 ADAHRS, which would give you redundancy in attitude and airdata but not heading. It's all user-configurable. In my airplane I have two ADAHRS, one magnetometer, and a whiskey compass (plus some standby pneumatic instruments).

You asked about ADS-B receivers... at this time, the non-certified GDL 39 is only compatible with non-certified displays such as the G3X MFD, portable GPS units, and the iPad; the certified GDL 88 is only compatible with certified displays such as the GTN and GNS series.

- Matt

Thanks.

Thanks Matt. I think what this tells me is this is a very good way to go towords 2020. As we have a few years till then, I am guessing that you guys have more goodies in store for us as time will permitt you to bring to market.
We will look close at a second GMU-22, tied to number two and yes the small anolog back-ups and a card compass would all be in the picture. This I think would fill the bill for our wants. As we all know what I want, what I need, and what I get, may be very; not the same at the end of things. I will look forwoed to the big show this year, maybe it is time for me to go there too.
Again thanks to all of you good guys over at Garmin for the good stuff you send out for us pudnockers.

GEA 24 EIS fuel probes

Will the new GEA 24 work with 0-5V fuel level sensors? (these are the 'princeton' sensors)

Also, I would like to know more about the serial data output mentioned in the older G3X manual. Do the formats change with the new hardware?

Does the GEA 24 have the same number of I/O for engine monitoring connections or is there more or less? I'm particularly interested in 3 additional analog inputs to use for capture pitch/roll/rudder pilot inputs. I also plan to use an oil level switch and would like it monitored, this would be a digital input.

How much current can the GSA 28 autopilot servos drive for trim motors? Can an external relay setup be used if the trim motors exceed the specification?

With electric trims, where does the control stick trim hat switch connect to? By that I mean, do I still need a trim relay controller board to convert my hat switch to motor control inputs or do I just hook my stick up to the EFIS or the servos for manual trim settings?

Really looking forward to the new manuals! I was considering another system (a different brand 'G') but the new pricing and new hardware is really attractive. I especially like the servo design with a proper clutch release and the portrait screens make a lot of sense. All except one brand of experimental autopilot (they make a great system too) have cheaped out (IMHO) by using stepper motor servos with nothing but a shear pin to disconnect and they make me really uncomfortable!

Back