What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLEDs and rib prep

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I think I’m going to go with flyLED. IMO they look seemless. Any advice during my wing build such as access/wiring holes? I’m currently prepping my ribs.

Run plastic conduit down the wing from end to end and try your best to align it with a large snap bushing through the fuselage aft of the aileron tube hole. Vans sells the conduit, I think.

Run string down the conduit using a cotton ball tied to one end and vacuum cleaner on the other end of the tube to suck the string through. Keep a string in the conduit at all times.

Only the FlyLED strobes require shielded wire but it wouldn't hurt to shield all of it in case some future replacement needs it.

I went with PVC tubing down the rib holes because the Van's conduit didn't appeal to me. Its also smooth on the inside so running extra wires later is very easy. Used Panduit MHSS-S6-D lightening hole mounts to secure it to every other rib. You can get them at digikey or mouser by the individual piece.

I went with PVC tubing down the rib holes because the Van's conduit didn't appeal to me. Its also smooth on the inside so running extra wires later is very easy. Used Panduit MHSS-S6-D lightening hole mounts to secure it to every other rib. You can get them at digikey or mouser by the individual piece.

What diameter of pvc tubing did you use?

I have the Vans tubing, which is lighter than PVC, and had no issues running wires. You can always push something like 12g wire down through, which I've done many times, then pull whatever you need. If you run PVC, you'll want at least 3/4".

Vans conduut

I have the Vans tubing, which is lighter than PVC, and had no issues running wires. You can always push something like 12g wire down through, which I've done many times, then pull whatever you need. If you run PVC, you'll want at least 3/4".

Same here. The Vans corrugated conduit isn't fun to install but once it's done, it works great. Poke holes if needed with a soldering pencil. Snake a piece of cat-5 through and use it as a pull. Always pull another in ace for future.

Van's recommendation

I drilled the holes in ribs as per Van's suggestion, and ran split corrugated conduit. Hard to install but solid as a rock as it clicks in around the rib holes. Pro-sealed in, and as Larry said, used a soldering iron to burn holes to bring wires out for roll servo, OAT sensor etc. Plenty of room in 1/2" ID conduit for the FLYLEDS wires, just remember to run the extra one if you want separate Landing & Taxi lights.

Conduit did get in the way when riveting the lower skins, easily overcame with a footed bucking bar.

IMG_3051 (1).jpg

Back