What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview questions

jimgreen

Well Known Member
Couldn't find answers on these questions:

Most of the threads on ADAAHRS mounting are pretty old, and the pictures have gone.

What is the current thinking on best location in an RV7? And do most builders end up using a separate magnetometer?

Is it hard to shorten or make your own network cables for skyview?

Thanks, Jim.

ADHRS mounting - the SkyView plans provide examples, but I suspect if you start with the Van’s kit you will be ahead: https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...30-448-480&browse=airframe&product=AHRS-mount. I made up my own mounts but that was before this kit was available.

You do not use a remote magnetometer with the SkyView system, each ADHARS has one built in.

I typically just buy one or two long SkyView cables and cut to length, the remaining cable cut as needed for the other runs. Two should be enough to do everything you need. For the ADS-B receiver I just use a single, four conductor shielded cable (I mount the ADS-B receiver remotely near the ADS-B antenna). For the roll and pitch servos I use the same four conductor cable for the network connections, and add a #22 wire for autopilot disconnect, a #20 wire for ground and a #20 wire for power. I use a male and female 9 pin D connector at each servos. Buy some 9 pin connectors shells and pins from Stein, along with the much needed crimp tool: https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

Network cables are easy.

Carl

The ADAHRS bracket from Van's is easy to retrofit on a completed fuselage. Just a couple of holes to drill and pop rivets.

IMG_8373_heic-M.jpg

Yes, where Bruce put it. I put mine back in the tail with access thru the 2 holes in the bulkhead under the empenage fairing. It works fine there, but access is not ideal. Build & learn.

I did the same location as Bruce.

Like Carl I too buy a long cable or two and cut it to length. You will need quite a few connectors as well throughout the Skyview network. I would however buy the cables through Stein. They come with machined pins as well as in a jacket that is significantly easier to work with than the white stuff around the Dynon cable. That white sheath that Dynon uses is some seriously tough stuff to work with.

Back