What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a CFI with RV-10 Experience?

If anyone is in need of a CFII with RV-10 experience Please reach out to me. I’m based out of 6AR0 In Central Arkansas and am willing to help a new pilot (for a fee) get the instructional hours needed with a CFI for insurance purposes. I can teach you soft field and short field landing techniques. You’d be surprised how slow you can safely go in the -10.

I'm also a CFI with an RV-10.. How are you handling insurance and did you get a LODA? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for transition training.

Transition training...

For me the insurance to teach in my own RV is prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't break even unless I had a steady flow of transitioning pilots to train in my own plane.

Doing it full time (or nearly) could make the insurance affordable. Not to mention the increased maintenance requirements and costs...

Now I simply fly with people in their newly finished or purchased flying RV. The other benefit is the new-to-them RV is familiar when they solo for the first time with a high confidence level. We often spend a good bit of time getting paperwork sorted out (checklists, POH, AROW) and familiarize them with normal owner maintenance tasks since most people I see buying RVs are purchasing their first experimental. Learning to remove wheel pants to air up the tires, check brakes/tires, do an oil change, calibrate the fuel level sensors, etc etc etc. can be a large part of instructing the experimental aircraft world.

Many times a buyer needs the plane ferried some distance and we then complete the transition training upon my arrival. Occasionally the new owner will come along for transition training on the way back to home base, but this is less common.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey! Our RV community is a ton of fun and full of great people.

Last edited:
I'm also a CFI with an RV-10.. How are you handling insurance and did you get a LODA? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for transition training.

Just to be clear, a LODA (which anyone can get, don’t have to be a cfi) is free, and not difficult by faa standards. But insurance is irrationally expensive.

Back