What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELECTROAIR OR PLASMA 3

Jetj01

Well Known Member
Experts- I have an experimental IO-540 6 cylinder with the dual mag/single drive. It is a 24 volt system. I?d like to eliminate the mag setup. My choices are the Electroair and the Lightspeed Plasma III 24v systems. Of these two, what would be your choice?

I like both the SDS and the EFII but both DO NOT have a 24v system offered.

I have PMags on my RV-4 but no option there for my dual mag/single drive system.

Please give me your biased opinions 👍👍👍

Voltage at the plug

All of the electronic ignition systems are extremely reliable. But, if you look at the voltage supplied at the plugs, Electroair would be my choice.
Chuck Brietigam
RV-6XXL IO-540

Another option?

Yes, I know more components is less desirable from many aspects. That said, step down converters are cheap and light weight. I'd assume you're going dual buss/e-buss etc.

I installed a complete SDS system, including EFI, in a Super Stallion (Continental IO-550 w/ super charger) with a 28v system using a converter (28>14) and PC-680 backup battery on the firewall. It was a LOT of wiring.

I installed a complete SDS system, including EFI, in a Super Stallion (Continental IO-550 w/ super charger) with a 28v system using a converter (28>14) and PC-680 backup battery on the firewall. It was a LOT of wiring.

This is what I would do.

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the words EXPERTS! And thanks for the sale offer on the Electroair Steve. I?ve decided on the Plasma III. The IDEA is to eliminate complexity. I like the concept of the SDS and the EFII but adding a drop down converter and the associated battery......lots of wires, and complexity.

Anyway, thank you!

I abandoned lightspeed after multiple customer service issues.
Between the two electroair would be my hands down choice.

I abandoned lightspeed after multiple customer service issues.
Between the two electroair would be my hands down choice.

I agree. Between the two I've repaired lightspeeds ( burn't out coils & failed controllers ). Never seen a failed electroair 6cyl.

I have had both light speed and electroair, 4 cylinder systems. Krause at
Lightspeed, was non responsive to problems, even when I hunted him down at OSH. I currently have Electroair and am happy.

24 Volt Electroair Is Available without a step down transfer,er

http://www.electroair.net/stc_ignition_kit2.html
Look down the page under

EIS-61000-5C Lycoming 6cyl Electronic Ignition Kit
$3,940.00
Single Magneto Replacement - CSTW
Single Engine Aircraft
Lycoming Six-Cylinder Engines
The EIS-61000 Electronic Ignition Kit is a fully STC'd kit for Lycoming 540/541/580 series, engines, installed on both single engine and twin engine aircraft. Replacing one magneto with the EIS-61000 will typically improve fuel economy on average by 10-15% (operators have reported consistent fuel savings of 1.5-2.0 gph or greater). Additionally, there will be an improvement in horsepower, smoother engine operation, easier hot starts and improved high altitude performance. The EIS-61000 adjusts spark timing automatically by way of our MAP Sensor - timing is adjusted with altitude. Most parts on the EIS-61000 are not life limited (reference the I.C.A. for recommended maintenance) - this combined with reduced spark plug fouling means lower maintenance costs. This kit can be used on either 12V or 24V system

Experts- I have an experimental IO-540 6 cylinder with the dual mag/single drive. It is a 24 volt system. I?d like to eliminate the mag setup. My choices are the Electroair and the Lightspeed Plasma III 24v systems. Of these two, what would be your choice?

I like both the SDS and the EFII but both DO NOT have a 24v system offered.

I have PMags on my RV-4 but no option there for my dual mag/single drive system.

Please give me your biased opinions 👍👍👍

We?ve been flying with a Lightspeed Plasma III for about 3 years and 280 hours with instant starts, slightly reduced fuel burn and zero problems. It was a bit of work to install since you have to drill and tap a hole in the engine case, hang the controller box and run some wires here and there. But it started on the first blade and it?s been perfect ever since.
There were some issues with early coils, current ones seem to perform fine. There is a higher performance coil available for higher stress racing or very high compression engines.
We kept the left magneto with the impulse coupling so if our VFR-only RV-6 has an electrical failure or the Lightspeed system goes down, the magneto will take us to an airport. We did not install a backup battery or alternator. I think we shed about a half pound of weight and cleaned up the engine compartment a bit.
It?s one of the best mods we ever did on our airplane.
Full disclosure: Klaus Savier owns Lightspeed Engineering and his hangar is on the next row from ours. He was very helpful with the installation.

Back