What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new GRT 7 inch sport EX

N333M

Anyone using the GRT 7 " sport EX yet? its more rectangular than square.
I saw it in the booth, and Greg mentioned it was the brightest screen they produce..new glass in it. This was noticeable in his booth.
I am considering pulling the trigger for the advance package, but wondering if the numerals (the actual size of the numbers displayed) are smaller, or the same size as the 8.4 inch screen for instance. Having old eyes, this is about my only worry.

Terry has one.

Terry Kohler has one in his 9A up in Michigan. Maybe Terry will chime in. I flew behind it in his plane and it was my first experience flying with glass and I liked it. I have the 6.5 Sport in mine which I hadn't flown in yet but now fly behind. I was considering getting an EX to have glass on both sides but in my situation getting another 6.5 makes more sense and an easier install. We have two 8.4 Sports in my brothers RV12. He has more disposable income than I do. The one thing I would think about when choosing the EX is if you want to have the GRT EIS box in the plane or not. The EX has the ports to read from the sensors directly for engine management if I remember correctly.

GRT Sport EX is Very Readable

Hi Guys:
Don't know about the character size of one screen versus the other (best to call GRT on that), but colors and lines are crisp and bright. My point of reference for size is my old steam gages - the GRT is hands-down superior.

Mike - How's the testing going? Done? Hope you're having as much fun with your 9A as I have with mine. Just ordered an AP servo from GRT and will be replacing my Trutrak as soon as I get a little warm weather to work in. Recent trips for me have been Newport, R.I. and Jacksonville, N.C. Will probably do both runs again in the next month or two. Keep in touch.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Any Sport EX diagams?

Of those using the Sport EX do you have schematics showing connections to a Garmin 430 and a Garmin 327 by chance?

I have been flying an EX for a while now. I like it. It was plug and play from the WS it replaced. BUT, I did not replace the WS that has an ARINC module. That would take a little wiring as I understand it.

New screen is all its cracked up to be. Fine pixels and very bright. Bordering on too bright at night but it works OK. A zero or neg 1 would be about right.

My second WS screen is starting to act up so I might be getting another EX this year unless I part out two WS's to make one good one. A new EX would be good because the severe brightness difference between the WS and EX made me separate the dimming functions. It will be nice to have both screens back on a single control.

In regards to wiring, like I said, it was plug and play so the docs on GRT for both the EX and WS can be used with a little noggin application.

On the GRT website there is a support section called Compatable Equipment. There is one for GNS 430 and one for GTX 327. They spell out the wiring and settings required (both GRT and Garmin). You should have a ARINC module for the 430.

Jim Butcher

Although I haven't been able to much time on it, I love mine. It's everything as promised. I have the Sport EX, FlySafe GPS, and Trig Transponder.

I did the upgrade from 2 WS screens to a Sport EX and a Horizon EX. I kept the single legacy AHRS and legacy magnetometer and those feed the Horizon. The Sport has a built in AHRS and I connected the new digital magnetometer to that. I needed the ARINC module and I was upgrading to ADSB which necessitated a new transponder and the wiring change was too much for me and I cried uncle (pronounced "SteinAir) and they did a "translator harness" for me.

The Sport and Horizon EX screens are a huge improvement over the WS, faster processor, synthetic vision, etc. It's really good. The squarer form factor allows for the engine gauges on the bottom of the PFD and that really is a big improvement in usability. If you couldn't tell, I really like the new setup!

Back