What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rain Damage?

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hello All,
This question relates to the aircraft being tied down on the ramp and flight controls secured.
How well does the -12 fair in heavy rainstorms (just rain no hail)? Specifically I am asking about the wing, fuselage and tail skins. Has anyone suffered any dimpling or denting from a heavy rainstorm? We have lots of t-storms daily in Fl. I'm ready to start venturing out in my airplane for overnight trips but they will be few if I need to hangar everytime for heavy rain concerns.

Thanks

Jack they don’t dimple or ding while flying, I’m pretty sure it won’t on the ground. Mine not in rain often, but never had any issues. Go fly…enjoy the journey.

I guess you'll find out how water proof the cabin is after a good storm with some wind.

As far as overnighting, after washing mine off and rinsing it with a low pressure water hose, I came to the conclusion that whoever built mine knew it wasn't waterproof, and that's probably the reason they advertised it had been hangared every night of it's life, and most all days. YMMV. Some builds might be better than others, but rain with winds can get water in all kinds of places you might not expect.

If kept outside you need a good cover from Bruce's that not only covers the canopy but engine cowling to keep water out of cockpit.

I put a two inch aluminum trim strip on the aft edge of my canopy. When closed it covers the small gap between the canopy and aft window. It does a great job of keeping water out. Of more concern to me is the gas cap. I still have the original design with no vent line and a hole drilled in the gas cap. I have found a little water in the gascolator a couple of times from washing or rain. If I know it’s going to rain on a road trip I tape over the cap when parked overnight. I fashion a little channel to the edge of the tape with a straw so the tank can breathe, but water can’t get in.

Consider tying down the NOSE wheel if high winds are expected. There. is a loop for it. Both my RV-12 (when I had it) and a friend's RV-12 suffered tail damage when a gust forced the tail down hard enough to contact the ground!

Consider tying down the NOSE wheel if high winds are expected. There. is a loop for it. Both my RV-12 (when I had it) and a friend's RV-12 suffered tail damage when a gust forced the tail down hard enough to contact the ground!

Good advise, especially for the Oshkosh crowd.

I was tied down for 5 years in SoFL with a good cabin and prop cover. Never had a water problem. The paint took a beating and corrosion was always an issue. Tie down rope angles are critical to avoid tail damage from gusting. And very secure gust locks are imperative for rudder and ailerons protection.

Back