What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom Cowl Hinge

BigD

Well Known Member
Not wanting to risk putting the drill into a finger, I made a couple of these little blocks to wedge in and hold the bottom hinge flat against the cowl. The other ones (so far) remained flat enough to drill:

oksnds.jpg

Now the not so clever part - I spent a lot of time prior to drilling making sure the seam between the cowl and fuse was pretty straight and tight. Then, after drilling the bottom and halfway across the top, looked up and noticed this:

2ewgq4y.jpg

A little crooked...going to look at it again tomorrow.

==dave==
N102FM

If you weren't aware, the bottom cowl hinge tends have the loops broken off due to vibration. Many just use a flat plate and screws to attach the bottom cowl and fuselage.

I used three camlocs here on each side. During installation of the hinge at that location, I found it very difficult to insert the pin and exhaust would make it near impossible until it cooled down. Scraped it for the camlocs and glad I did.

If you weren't aware, the bottom cowl hinge tends have the loops broken off due to vibration. Many just use a flat plate and screws to attach the bottom cowl and fuselage.

Yes.

I had to replace my broken bottom hinge pieces with .063" and six nut plates per side after 100 hrs or so. You may want to just fix it now.

In the process of determining how the cowling ended up slightly crooked I took the opportunity (more like a mandate) to remove the lower hinges and add .06 plate with three #8 screws per side. Turns out that the front intersection between upper and lower cowl is going to have to get seriously reworked to fit together properly, and then the cowl will be just so.

==dave==
N102FM

Back