What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT data for Canada

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Any GRT users who can report of data sources for charts/nav updates in Canada?

Trying to help a buddy out......

Last edited:
Jeppessen

I'm afraid that there are no free Canadian aviation map databases... Jeppessen is your only option as far as I am aware.:(

Cheers, Sean

I would really like to talk to someone who is using a later Horizon system from Canada to understand how they are using them. This is the latest reply from my queeries to GRT about Canadian content. I was seriously considering GRT for my build but until this is sorted I'm still looking.
"Jeppesen's charts and plates don't work on our systems. Only their NavData works in place of our main navigation database. The NavData includes the airports, runways, navaids, airspace boundaries, fixes (mainly IFR), and obstacles (optional) displayed on our moving map and flight plan function. We don't know of any Canadian charts and plates service that works with our systems yet. Plate-sized PDFs can be used if loaded into airport folders on a USB flash drive. Currently the PDF plate viewer and Seattle Avionics data don't work at the same time.

Your GRT Avionics Team,
Jeff DeFouw
Programmer
GRT Avionics, Inc."

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:
When updating the GRT the Canadian maps are included at no cost.

As far as I am aware, only the base maps (terrain, lakes, etc.) are included in the GRT system. Airport, Nav, obstacles, etc. are not included and are only available via a jeppessen subscription. If I am mistaken, I have wasted several years of subscriptions... Maybe Norman can confirm or clarify either way.

I use Fltplan Go on an iPad to supplement the missing functionality like plates. It also has a free copy of the CFS, is still free at this point and works shockingly well. As a bonus, the Discovery module sends adsb data to the iPad via WiFi. I have a Sport EX so do not suffer from the limitations of the Horizon in Canada.

I hope that helps!

Cheers, Sean

Hi Sean,
I'm still having a hard time getting this. Apologies, it's over 20 years since I last flew and never had to deal with all the new tech. From my reading (lots and lots) it would appear Nav Canada is the wrench in the spokes for some charting options. I may be (likely) mistaken but I think Dynon, Garmin and others have access to the Jep library of Canadian charts and data etc for subscription. I don't mind paying and don't understand why some EFIS units can and others can't use the subscriptions. Why is GRT the odd man out?
R

All airport data and VOR, NDBs are all there. It can be all turned off or some left on depending on the level of clutter that you can tolerate.

Hi Sean,
I'm still having a hard time getting this. Apologies, it's over 20 years since I last flew and never had to deal with all the new tech. From my reading (lots and lots) it would appear Nav Canada is the wrench in the spokes for some charting options. I may be (likely) mistaken but I think Dynon, Garmin and others have access to the Jep library of Canadian charts and data etc for subscription. I don't mind paying and don't understand why some EFIS units can and others can't use the subscriptions. Why is GRT the odd man out?
R

Can't speak for any other EFIS, but there are no Canadian chart options for Dynon either. Data is available but charts aren't.

So are you able to get and use georeferenced sectionals WAC’s etc on your unit?
No. The only places to get Canadian (NavCanada) charts on a screen are through FltPlanGo (free) or Foreflight ($$$) on a tablet, or on a Garmin GPS like the Aera series (again, $$$).

Back