What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 cruise speeds

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
Looks like I may be the new owner of a RV-4. Love the way the -4 flies the best over the -6, -7, or the -8, although still building my -8 because the room, range, front storage..ect. But I haven’t gotten up high and just cruised someplace, it’s always been just a little hop here or there, or some unofficial formation stuff where we were throttled back. Plus most -4s that I’ve flown were 0-320 150 hp versions with a wooden prop. Lots of fun when they are light on the nose. The -8 that I flew recently did an honest 165 knots true at 11,500. It would even go 170+ knots as it burned fuel.. what is an honest cruise speed on a -4 with an O-360 and metal fixed pitch Sensenich prop?

Thanks for the data point, I’m hoping for a 180hp fixed pitch responder. Do you find yourself throttling back from the RPM going past redline?

O-360 Sensenich fixed pitch. Honest averaging 155-165 kts TAS at 7.5- 8 gal/hr at 8500 ft with 55% power about 2400-2500 rpm. There are certainly faster RV4s out there. However I’m pleased with the performance. I love my RV4.

RV 4 performance

0360 180 HP and a wooden prop in my RV4 with the old wheel pants would cruise at 201 mph at 8000ft @ 2625 rpm

I have just finished and put on the new style pressure recovery pants and have picked up an another 6 mph or so. Due to the extreme temps here in the south Okanogan I cant replicate the same density altitude to give a definitive number at this time.

Today I just flew from Oliver BC to Red Deer AB at 14,000 ft with an OAT of 54 deg f. Density altitude was just shy of 17,000'

Definitely an impressive performer. Only complaint is that its virtually impossible to unfold a map in flight without destroying the map.

Tim

O-360, carbed RV4, fixed pitch Sensenich GA carbon prop. 8,000’ DA 65% = 166 KTAS, 8.6 gph. 70-75% = 170 -173 KTAS, 9.7 gph.
I had a Sensenich metal at first - 72” diameter, 84” pitch, and it would overspeed the engine at WOT at almost any altitude, to 2950 RPM. Low altitude had me below 65% to keep the RPM at 2700 or below (I prefer to respect the Lycoming limitations).
When I switched props, I set the pitch to be at 2700 at WOT. My enroute climb performance suffered, but only slightly. It still out-climbs most of the guys I fly formation with if I don’t throttle back. My initial acceleration and runway use on takeoff is actually better by a little.

I had almost the exact same experience as Scott. O-360, carb, 72 x 85 Sensenich metal prop. I could never go full throttle (low alt or high altitude) without exceeding 2700 RPM. FWIW, 2,700 RPM would yield right at 171 knots TAS at around 8,000, but I could not go full throttle. I also switched to the GA Sensenich and really like it.

Thanks for the info! Now you guys are raising other wuestions, such as Sensenich GA prop vs the Whirlwind GA..

Props

Hi all

For those with O360 engines, do you know the model number of the prop you have?

I need a propeller for an O360 A4M engine in an RV4. It has the standard landing gear so should I be looking for a 68" prop? Since it will be my first RV and I am just hoping to get it home soon, I am not going to be picky about what pitch I get but not sure what model numbers I should be looking for. The one that was on there (that got broke, minor incident) was a "Pacesetter" if I recall correctly and they are no longer around. Emails to Sensenich so far have gone unanswered. There is one on here that look promising but again, trying to confirm model numbers. New props are 8-10 weeks time and my field might be snowed in by then.....:rolleyes:

Any input appreciated. ie recommended models, props, prop for sale, etc. There is one sort of available here but we are not sure it will fit my engine so researching that.

Thanks
Shawn

A little late to the game, but maybe it will help someone else...

My -4 runs a Superior XP-O360 Plus (XP-O360BAC2) carbureted spinning a Sensenich 72FM8S9-1-83 prop inside the original cowling and I'm still using the original pants. She's pretty much stock.

At 2400 RPM between 7,500 and 9,500 we seem to tick along between 180 and 183 mph TAS in smooth air. This is pretty consistent. I typically cruise at 2350 and see 172-175 mph TAS regularly.

At 2500 RPM same altitudes I see 190 or higher, but I seldom run that hard. It gets loud and thirsty and a little too speedy for my comfort level.

I have taken her to 2650 at near sea-level on a reasonably cool and very smooth day and was flirting with 210 mph TAS, which is Vne on mine. Never feeling the need to spin her out, I have not gone to or through 2700 RPM so I cannot say if she is WOT. Having said that, there was a fair amount of throttle left at 2650 so yeah, she will likely go over 2700.

What scared me early on was flying at 11,500 one fine warm day before having TAS (steam gauges back then), I was really happy seeing 174 IAS at 2500 or 2550 (memory fails as to which). This equated to 214 TAS, 4 mph above Vne. Point is we can easily and comfortably exceed limits without realizing it. Since installing my G5 I regularly go into the yellow above 2450 and occasionally get close to the barber pole when conditions are right and running 2500 RPM or better, especially at altitudes of 9,500 and 10,500. I do love this airplane!

Fast little buggers!

For those with steam gages, pick the Vne appropriate for your model RV and paste a copy near your ASI:

i-wLv7VKD.jpg

Fast little buggers!

For those with steam gages, pick the Vne appropriate for your model RV and paste a copy near your ASI:

i-wLv7VKD.jpg

For RV-4s the VNE is 182KTAS or 210 MPH TAS in case new -4 drivers are unfamiliar. There are a lot people that don’t understand that VNE is in TAS, great chart

These charts are great! RV8JD included the temp and pressure disclaimer, which should be stressed. I haven't seen pressure make a huge difference in TAS, but temperature variations can really pump up that TAS. There is a great app for IOS that I still use on my phone called TruAirspeed that calculates your TAS based on IAS, OAT, ALT and pressure. It's a great thing to have if you are on steam gauges. It also calculates DA and pressure altitude. Most importantly, it shows Mach Number:D

Back