What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I Like the CQ1!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A few weeks ago, I finally got a chance to start flying with a CQ1 Headset from Card Machine Works (thanks Tanya!), and I've got to say - I am really liking it! The best measure of the perfect headset (in my opinion) is that I simply don't notice it at all - and this one comes pretty close to that. It just does everything it is supposed to do, and you don't know it is doing it.

I’ve been flying with Halo Headsets for close to fifteen years now, and between Louise and I we own five of them. So I am obviously pretty happy with the concept of the “lightweight headset”. Why five? because we have one for every RV seat we own (between three airplanes). The Tundra has DC Ones because, well, it does....and I fly the jet with a helmet - otherwise, it is all about light weight! The CQ1 fits much more securely on the head than the Halo, without giving any indication of being there, or clamping. The microphone boom is fully adjustable, yet it holds its adjustment much better than the Halo. I guess I have gotten used to compensating for the Halo's mic wandering around - with the CQ1, I don't have to compensate.

One of the problem areas we have in maintaining the Halo's is the volume knob - the internal potentiometers get dirty in spots, creating "dead spots" in the volume control. This means we have to do a cleaning with spray once a year. The CQ1 uses a different type of knob that looks to be more closed up- and certainly works perfectly out of the box ... big improvement.

Lightweight headsets have always been something that some love and others don't. I always tell people they need to fly with one for five to ten hours before deciding - they are different enough that you might not like the first or second time you use them. But they grow on you - if you let them. One caution is that one "sizing" does not fit all - you probably need to do a little bending to get them, just like you want them. In addition to the Halos, we've got a Clarity Aloft, and the same is true. In fact, Louise tried on the CQ1 and didn't like the way it fit the back of her head, even though it fit me great - so some adjustment is required.

Overall, I think the CQ1 is a great evolutionary step in the history of lightweight headsets, and we might have to look at getting a couple more for the fleet!

Paul

It would be helpful if the website modeled more examples of wearing them.

What is the feature at the opposite end of the frame from the mic end?

I have always hated the barbed silicone inserts. When I shoot, I use the yellow foam earplugs. Do the standard ear inserts work like foam earplugs? If so, how do you roll it up to insert it? How well do they adapt to odd-shaped ear canals? I have to really contort to get a good insertion with the foam plug on one ear.

CQ1 ??
From days long ago, I rember CQ1 as the call sign for Captain Midnight. He was the lead in the television series Captain Midnight. I also had his decoder ring and was a member of the SQ squadron.

I have always hated the barbed silicone inserts. When I shoot, I use the yellow foam earplugs. Do the standard ear inserts work like foam earplugs? If so, how do you roll it up to insert it? How well do they adapt to odd-shaped ear canals? I have to really contort to get a good insertion with the foam plug on one ear.

There are a ton of different plugs that work (and don't work) with in-ear headsets. I have Halos and went through every tip option they offer and didn't like the headsets at all until I tried their "soft foam" (black) tips. They made all the difference in the world for me. The CQ1 website shows numerous tips, including ones that appear similar to the ones I use with my Halos.

CQ1 Headset Review

I have posted before regarding the CQ Headset. I will still confirm Paul's review.
I have flown with many different headsets - pick one(Halo, Clarity, Bose, Lightspeed, etc) The CQ found at cqheadset.com is still the best for my operations. I do not chase the boom during aerobatics or formation flight where my head is moving around a lot! And for long cross country they are sure more comfortable. They are a non issue if you wear glasses or hats. My grown adult kids used to fly with a set of ANR Bose now they prefer the CQ set. Like Paul said, you need to make sure you give your new headset some serious flying time. The great thing about these are they can be tweaked to your specs (ear inserts, volume, etc) -within reason. The owners are always willing to talk headsets and help you to get your headset ready for many hours of comfortable flying - and being able to hear ATC and your pax. They are the best headset on the market that I have found for my full spectrum of ops.

Ear plug placement

Click on the “FAQ” tab on the CQ headset webpage

WATCH the video at the bottom
(And read through the FAQs)

I know, I know,... simple stupid ear plugs,......
Well,... they fit better, and cancel, noise better , now that I follow recommended procedure

That goes for CQ1 or other headsets, and plugs for yard work

I haven't got a CQ1 yet, but I asked Scott about ear inserts. I have a set of high end earbuds from Etymotic, and asked if the CQ1 could use the same inserts that I like with the earbuds. Scott said that they have the ability to put many different kinds of tips on, including the Etymotic ER38 type. The ER38 has several different types that can be changed between.

I'm looking forward to getting a CQ1, but between a bunch of other expenses and projects, I've had to re-prioritize the purchase for now.

One of the things that stands out for me is the cable coming from the mic/frame connection. It seems like this would be in the way, but its not clear. It seems like it would be better to come out behind the ear to lay across the shoulder more.

Do you find cable management to be an issue?

I prefer my Clarity's over A20s, DC proX, and proflights in my 8. That being said, what makes these different and improved over Clarity? I've looked at the page, and seen the description. But I have not compared them in an airplane. I already have several sets of Clarity's. I have considered getting some of these for the 10 I am building, for at least myself and wife.

I prefer my Clarity's over A20s, DC proX, and proflights in my 8. That being said, what makes these different and improved over Clarity? I've looked at the page, and seen the description. But I have not compared them in an airplane. I already have several sets of Clarity's. I have considered getting some of these for the 10 I am building, for at least myself and wife.

My only problem with the Clarity’s is that the actual “speaker” unit is at the ear, where the ones on the band, with a tube running to the ear. If you damage the tube, it is easy to replace. Damage the cable on the Clarity, and it goes back to the factory.

Of course, it all eventually comes down to what fits best, and is most comfortable for the individual.

Paul

One of the things that stands out for me is the cable coming from the mic/frame connection. It seems like this would be in the way, but its not clear. It seems like it would be better to come out behind the ear to lay across the shoulder more.

Do you find cable management to be an issue?

It’s never been a problem, so long as you use the lapel clip to keep some slack between your head and body.

My only problem with the Clarity’s is that the actual “speaker” unit is at the ear, where the ones on the band, with a tube running to the ear. If you damage the tube, it is easy to replace. Damage the cable on the Clarity, and it goes back to the factory.

Of course, it all eventually comes down to what fits best, and is most comfortable for the individual.

Paul

Thanks, I've had to send some back because of this; I'll probably try the CQ1s on the 10 when I get to that point.

It’s never been a problem, so long as you use the lapel clip to keep some slack between your head and body.

I currently have way too much slack between my head and body! I Don't understand what this has to do with headset though.

I currently have way too much slack between my head and body! I Don't understand what this has to do with headset though.

Mel, you dont have enough distance between your head and body to have any slack....:D;)

I'm still a happy user after nearly two years of use. Best headset I've ever owned and I've had a fair number, including the latest noise cancelling units.

Guy

OH! You meant PHYSICALLY! Sorry, I misunderstood.

And, if you do, we do custom work for a small fee! :).

break

Thanks Paul for the kind words. We can't make 100% of everyone that happy, but we try darn hard each and every day. I suspect that we're doing this headset a bit different than others in that its production is not static. We haven't stamped out thousands of them at once for the express purpose to not be locked into something that could be better. I iterate the details of design and production (tooling) all the time. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise as that is part of how we got here. There are a lot of them out there. Yesterday I put a new mic windscreen on one for a friend from almost three years ago. It sure looked like a unicorn to me that flies a few times per week.

Last edited:
Music quality

I do a lot of cx country and enjoy listening to music along the way. How's the quality when you have the music source plugged into the volume control? Will it interrupt the music for incoming communications?

Music

Ok that depends on your panel and your audio panel if you have one. I listen to music very often and if ATC calls it cuts the music. I have the option of it doing the same thing with a pax or not. It is not Bluetooth. The beauty of this headset, again I am a sample of 1 or 2 since I own 2 of them, is its simplicity, comfort, and ease of use. Yes the music sounds good but if you are expecting to sound like you are in a sound theater, not going to happen. ATC has a way of cutting in... But for non radio conducting flights the music is very good based on the source. I sure would give them a shot first and then let's us know your thoughts. I need more of a sample than just me!

Ordered

We are headed out Friday morning...I'm hoping they can make it to Amarillo by Thursday night to give them a good go this weekend. Thanks Check6 for your input....

I would sure like to give these headsets at try for a month. I do a lot of cross country and between glasses and oxygen tubes my head gets a good squeeze after a few hours. My problem is I’ve always had problems inserting ear plugs and getting a good seal. I’m reluctant to plunk down 400+ on them if it’s something that is not going to work for me. If anyone has a set they would make a deal on, I’m listening. I actually missed out on a couple here on VAF recently.

My wife and I have been using the Halos for the last 6 years and are generally happy with them except for the mic boom and the mic gain. I bought the two pair about 6 weeks apart and the second pairs mic gain was much higher than the first. This presents problems with the intercom and the hotter mic breaking squelch all the time when using them together as we always do! I sent the two pairs back to Phil asking to have them balanced better 3 or 4 times. Finally, the last time they came back with the low gain mic much hotter than the originally hot one so we are still dealing with that. They have always worked on them free of charge. My next pair will probably be CQ1 but my question is, are all the mic gains on the individual sets the same?

CQ1 with or inplace of hearing aids?

I have a friend who has two hearing aids and has been having a hard time connecting with everything coming over the radio. I've read the other threads on hearing loss, but didn't see any posts referencing the use of sound tube headsets (CQ1 or Clarity Aloft).

It seems like these types of headsets would reduce any issues between hearing aids and headset speakers. Has anyone with hearing aids tried the CQ headset?

This would be a good reason to have 30 day trail.

Thanks,

My wife and I have been using the Halos for the last 6 years and are generally happy with them except for the mic boom and the mic gain. I bought the two pair about 6 weeks apart and the second pairs mic gain was much higher than the first. This presents problems with the intercom and the hotter mic breaking squelch all the time when using them together as we always do! I sent the two pairs back to Phil asking to have them balanced better 3 or 4 times. Finally, the last time they came back with the low gain mic much hotter than the originally hot one so we are still dealing with that. They have always worked on them free of charge. My next pair will probably be CQ1 but my question is, are all the mic gains on the individual sets the same?

Mike, your frustration rings very true! Wouldn't it just drive you bananas if you had to send your headset back multiple times just to try to get it to match the same product in the same cockpit? I could talk for hours about mic gain. CQ1 headsets all ship with mic gain set the same. This is done on a specialized calibration fixture before it is prepared to ship. HOWEVER, if you feel the need to adjust it, you can. No need to send it back to us. In fact, I think we're currently the ONLY in-the-ear headset manufacturer in GA that provides user adjustable mic gain (via a small trim pot on the control board). This is a very important feature to me, and one that is completely lost to many looking for the lowest cost product.

I could say a thousand more words on the topic, but I feel you need, and we provide, adjustable mic gain in order to balance the huge differences in various airframes and audio systems in use out in the world.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has two hearing aids and has been having a hard time connecting with everything coming over the radio. I've read the other threads on hearing loss, but didn't see any posts referencing the use of sound tube headsets (CQ1 or Clarity Aloft).

It seems like these types of headsets would reduce any issues between hearing aids and headset speakers. Has anyone with hearing aids tried the CQ headset?

This would be a good reason to have 30 day trail.

Thanks,

"RETURN POLICY – We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on our headsets so that you can try them out in your own aircraft. A full refund less shipping charges will be issued on any CQ1 headset returned in as-new condition within 30 days of the invoice date."

My Poor Ear and Head and how CQ1 saved me

A couple of years ago I started having recurring ear infections - at least it felt like ear infections. Several scans, endless rounds of doctor appointments with ENT... it was a saga. Eventually my left ear just “closed up”, and I experienced hearing loss. Roy and I were doing lots of cross-country travel at the time, and I did not want to give that up.
I also found that on our longer legs, my “top brand” over the ear headset became SUPER uncomfortable. It did not matter what kind of hat I had on or even IF I had a hat. The top of my head hurt. This made me a whiny right-seater. No one wants a whiny right-seater. Just not fun.
I was complaining of all this to a girl-friend in email. She said, “Let’s talk at Petit. Jean. I think we have something that will help.”
I couldn’t imagine what it might be... a fuzzy blanket? Some kind of approved in-flight soothing beverage? A protective head muff?
What it was, was the CQ1 Headset.
I had tried a few “In-Ear” headsets at Oshkosh that year. They did not fit my head, and I found the sound quality echo-y. They just didn’t work for me. So I was a bit skeptical. But what the heck, I thought, I’ll try it.
First, I can adjust the head band of the CQ1 to actually fit my head (no I don’t have an odd-sized head, I’m a gal and most aviation products do not have women in mind), the ear pieces were SUPER comfortable, and BEST OF ALL - I COULD HEAR!!
One time we were at the end of the runway at Knoxville Downtown, and Roy just could not hear the controller. But _I_ could, and I could relay what the controller was saying.
Shortly after this, Roy also bought a CQ1.
I’m happy to say, my ear problem has left me with only residue hearing loss (thats another story), and two years later, I still LOVE my CQ1 headset.
We are setting off for new adventure soon.... looking forward to being out there and being comfortable and able to hear.
Oh..... and Added bonus, I can wear my knit watch cap when its cold, and I can wear my beautiful Stetson when its sunny. Now, that is the perfect intersection between beauty and function. Thank You, Scott and Tanya!! Thank you CQ1!!
https://cqheadset.com

She loves CQ1!

We spent 6 hours in the air last weekend with my wife using her new CQ1 headset. Her comment...my head doesn't hurt and for the first time flying with you I can actually hear ATC! The mic was right on and much more responsive to her voice than her previous set. We could actually hold a conversation which was always a challenge before because of the poor mic response. She used the standard yellow ear pieces that were attached to the headset when it arrived and had no issues with placement and found them very comfortable. She wore the headset all 6 hours without issue. She was so impressed, she wasn't about to let me try them for fear I wouldn't give them back!

Tanya Card was great to work with and made sure we received the headset before we departed. She even made some modifications in the head band before shipping to make sure it fit my wife's head well (and it did). Overall, we are very impressed with the product and more importantly impressed with the great people behind the product. We would highly recommend these for others looking for a very simple, functional, and comfortable headset.

Attachments

• IMG_6740 (1).jpg
    IMG_6740 (1).jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 234
Back