What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder and elevator fairing finishing

kmbusse

I’d like to fill the seams where the elevator and rudder fairings fit against the aluminum skin so they appear as one piece. What is the best way to accomplish this? Resin and flocked cotton or glass beads? Overlapping cloth and resin on both pieces? Autobody filler?
I appreciate any comments or direction on this.
TIA.

Kerry Busse

It is not something we advocate doing, but if you decide too, keep in mind that they are counterbalanced flight control surfaces, so what every you decide to do you should be sure that you are not adding additional weight that could have a negative effect on balance (not to mention that adding unnecessary weight at the extreme back of the airplane is not desirable from a empty C.G. influence standpoint.

I used Aeropoxy Light to blend the seams. It’s extremely light and has a higher thermal tolerance than west systems. I’m post-paint now and am extremely happy with the decision to cover the seams. Looks great to me with only about 3-4 oz. of added weight.

Bond with Hysol 9430

Kerry,

I'm bonding my empennage tips using Hysol 9430 and after that cures I fill the seams and pop rivets in with West System epoxy and micro.

Got the idea from Dan Horton, see the posts in the second half of these pages:

https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931&page=11
https://vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931&page=13

The Hysol epoxy is expensive, adds weight, and takes more time than simply pop riveting the fairings per the plans, but it does look nice if you take the time to fill/sand with micro, then one or two coats of high build primer and more sanding before final paint.

BTW it's a good idea to remove the gel coat from the flanges of the fairings to ensure a good bond between the fiberglass and aluminum. I found the fastest way to remove gel coat was with a dremel tool fitted with a sanding drum. Makes pretty quick work of it.

Back