What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Service Bulletin 14-01-31; RV-14?

:)Hi Guys

Vans Service Bulletin 14-01-31 released 31st Jan 2014 refers to cracks found in the forward spar of the Horizontal Stabiliser and affects all RV 6,7,8 models flying or under construction. Requires inspection and or modification kit fitted.

I have ignored this SB as it did not include the RV14 stated in the heading "affected models"and so I maintain it does not apply to my RV14A .
However the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia has sent this SB out to alert me as if it is included for all models.

As for most RV models the parts and construction is similar and maybe the parts are generic.

I'm not sure whether I should be asking Vans if they have plans to stiffen the RV 14 Horizontal Stabilisers surrounding parts.
I am currently ready to start riveting the HS so anybody out there any the
wiser??

Greg Priest
RV14A Builder S/N 140126 (Emp Kit)
Perth Western Australia

I suggest the title of this thread is slightly misleading. Should read "Vans Service Bulletin". The word mandatory makes it start to sound like an Airworthiness Directive (AD).

Bevan

[The word "Mandatory" was deleted from the title per your request. D. Hull]

Last edited by a moderator:
The RV-10, RV-14, and even the RV-9 tails have rectangular "hershey bar" horizontal stabilizers, and do not have the 6 degree angled bends in the forward spar from the center section which are needed for those models' tapered/swept horizontal stabs.

The RV-12 is a different animal altogether back there, with an all-moving "stabilator" similar in concept to that or a Piper Cherokee.

Back