What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle part 10sf

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am stumped on a baffle issue. I now understand the posts here that complain about the instructions that come with the baffle kit, even the new ones.

The instructions say to make part 10SF from angle, 3 1/4 in long. It is described as the aft outboard support fitting at the back of part 10S. I made both part 10S and 10SF as instructed. I cannot determine from the plans how they go together. I note that the aft end of Part 10S seems to be tapered on the drawings, but there is no description of how to make that taper or interface parts 10S and 10SF.

Any help in understanding that issue would be appreciated.

Ditto

Did you make sense of this part of the drawings? I'm at the same stage and trying to figure out how those parts are trimmed and go together.

My pictures of baffle installations on local RVs don't seem to have this detail.

Steve

Baffled

We're at a similar point and can't even figure what you're talking about, or whether the parts we got in the BAF kit are even from Vans.

The only drawing we rec'd was OP4, which is a quarter scale drawing of what looks like the baffles for a 4 cylinder engine. The problem is that the parts in the kit are labeled with typical Van's numbers like "CB-1003A" and "BAG 555-1", but the drawing lists the parts of the baffle as "1" thru "33", with no apparent concordance between them.

I don't know if there's something else we should have rec'd, or if I'm just dumb. I'm pretty sure that I can figure things out from the shape of the pieces and the drawings, and maybe looking at some other installations, but I'd really rather use the plans I paid for.

Has anyone else run into this?

Just diving into this today and finding the same mess as you... on a -7. My build is for an IO-360.

I sent an email to Vans and received a reply from Sterling. He didn't say anything about what plans to use, so for now I'm combining the OP-04, OP-40 & OP-27A along with the drawing that came with the Horiz FAB to decipher what will eventually be the baffles.

My kit came with the same bags 5xx, labeled as being for the -8 on the contents list, and sound like the same parts you have. (my baffles were labeled as for an angle valve IO-360? on that list) That's the issue I'm hoping Sterling will look into once the power is back on at Vans.

My guess is that the plans and inventory lists are from various dates, thrown together and poorly documented. This is the most deficient I've seen on the entire build.

So, assuming I have the right parts, and can study the drawings enough, this WILL work eventually!

Good luck to all !

Newer drawings are available. Look for the OP40 along with the OP-27A. The OP40 is about 14 pages of clear, step-by-step instructions and photos.

Van's has made them conveniently available here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/OP-40.pdf

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/OP-44.pdf

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/

OP-27A is for the baffle-mounted oil cooler. I guess if you have that option you should have the drawing. If not, I recommend getting the USB stick with the drawings. Or call a friend who might be able to share the drawing with you.

Back