What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 8 wing change year

keith6261

I read sometime ago there was a design change for the RV8 wing. Does anyone have any information when this occurred? Thanks

I just dealt with this because I bought a wing kit from around that vintage. Yes the change happened in 2001 with the introduction of the RV-7. Parts commonality between the 7 and 8 was the reason for the design change.

There's no hard date for when they stopped shipping the old style wings though. It's understandable that they would want to finish off the stock of old style parts they had already made. As I did, check with Van's to see what wing a person has.

There's also a difference in aerobatic gross weight. 1550lbs vs 1600lbs.

I had the same question and asked Van's Aircraft. Van's stated "Any spar serial # greater than 869 is a -1 spar." The spar number is etched into wing near root as you can see in photo. The original spar has a aerobatic gross weight of 1,550 lbs and updated -1 spar has aerobatic gross weight of 1,600 lbs. You can also see "-1" listed in packing list of wing kit if that is what was provided. I received my QB kit in 2001 with the newer -1 spar.

Attachments

• Spar number.jpg
    Spar number.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 148
Back