What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South African RV-12 Enthusiasts Build Group

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

Some of you old Vansairforce.net timers might have seen me lurking around the RV12 group again, and might have wondered what I am doing here again seeing I got a flying RV7, half finished a RV12 sold it, and currently busy with a RV10 :confused:

Well it is official: A group of 10 South Africans is going to build, learn and fly a RV12 :D We placed our orders for the Tailkit, Wings, Fuse and Finishkit last week on Vans and waiting its shipment.

I am helping 9 other grass roots builders and flyers to learn how to build and eventually fly a RV12. By pooling resources such as time and money together we are making it very affordable for these guys, who might never be able to do it on their own, build an aircraft and then learn to fly on it. Most of the guys don't have licenses yet, and very few has any building experience. Some of the guys are using it as a stepping stone into bigger and better things later on.

This is a non commercial venture and we are doing it under the watchful wing of our local EAA Chapter. We are hoping to set an example for guys following after us.

If you are interested to do the same, make contact with us, we have done a lot of good work, sorting out many niggles a group such as this might have, which you can learn from and build on.

Wish us luck!

Kind Regards
Rudi

EDIT:
We Started and going strong. I Added all our build days under 1 heading for easy reference and will keep adding to this post as we continue the build.

Last edited:
Rudi,

I tried to do this locally, but it flew about as well as a D-9 Catterpiller. My hat is off you the builder's group. Good luck!

Please, send me what you have.

Good luck with your venture. I enjoyed watching your progress when you were building the first 12. I was always impressed with how organized you were. I wish I had had the benefit of working with an experienced builder when I first started.

Good luck with your venture. I enjoyed watching your progress when you were building the first 12. I was always impressed with how organized you were. I wish I had had the benefit of working with an experienced builder when I first started.

Thanks Mark, I'll try my best to part good skill to the guys.

I have a little bit of vested interest too...my wife after hearing about this project wants to learn to fly on the RV12! That would be the perfect training platform, my RV7 is just a bit to steep learning curve to perform initial training on.

Regards
Rudi

RV Builders Group

Would Appreciate information about forming builders group.
Attempting to do same but reception has been tepid-Perhaps I am approaching the wrong market.

EAA 105 group about to start an RV12 builder group

We had our first meeting and are planning to start a builder group very soon. This is another request for information on the details of membership, ownership, flying rights, project management, work scheduling, etc. Please send us what you have developed as forms and other group details.

Group building

Rudi,
I want to thank you again and post here the my earlier response.
Thanks Rudi,

Honestly, I am surprised that someone out there beat us to the punch on this builder group thing. This all started when Dick VanGrunsven of Van?s Aircraft put an article in the EAA chapter 105 news letter. Maybe he had some inside knowledge of your group being set up, but he does seem to have some pull with Van?s aircraft and although the group just meet for the first time last Saturday evening, Dick has committed to ordering the tailcone, wings and fuselage kits for our group and we already have 4 people signed up for a five member group. The plan is to start with the official kick off in two weeks at the chapter pancake breakfast. Dick said he got calls from the national EAA leaders when he wrote the article in our news letter.
I am excited to be part of this, we could have a builders group turn into a flying group with a completed aircraft by late summer or fall this year.

I will forward the information on to the group and congratulations on setting up the first group. I hope you all have fun and enjoy the project.

Dick?s article is attached see pages 4 & 5: http://www.eaa105.org/Newsletter/2010/nl-201002-scr.pdf

Paul Grimstad

Paul it is the other way around, I saw Dick's Article when it was published and just immediately jumped to action in South Africa! I have been in touch with Dick just to tell him we are following his idea!

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
RV-12 Builders group

Received information from Rudi almost immediately, very well done and executed. Answered several questions I had and will help with getting a group going. Staggered by the extra costs associated with with building on another continent-won't whine about USA costs.

Received information from Rudi almost immediately, very well done and executed. Answered several questions I had and will help with getting a group going. Staggered by the extra costs associated with with building on another continent-won't whine about USA costs.

He He MRHARRIS, add to that the 8 weeks leadtime to Sea Freight the goods 1/2 way accross the world. You USA guys are VERY LUCKY! :D

He He MRHARRIS, add to that the 8 weeks leadtime to Sea Freight the goods 1/2 way accross the world. You USA guys are VERY LUCKY! :D

That's right! Allowing for exchange rates, freight and import charges, I estimate my plane will cost at least 25%-30% more to build in Australia than it would in the US.

Robert

Mine has already cost $85K at today's exchange rate, including tools, and interior trim, but before paint. And to stay legal I will probably have to burn avgas :-(

Cheers...Keith_in_the_UK

History: Day Zero 18 April 2010

RVators,

If you remember 10 South Africans are going to put a RV12 together and then learn to fly on it (Yes we can do it in South Africa). 9 members do not hold pilot licenses and will use our creation to do their initial training on. It is a dream come true in an affordable way for them to build and earn their wings...

Our RV12 Enthusiast build group had our first Build Sunday. We called this Build Sunday ZERO since we did not do anything on the airplane, (We are still waiting its delivery) but we did complete some preparation work. This Sunday we had an Aircraft Build Theory presentation in the morning. We had 4 guests (non build group members) that attended and interested in aircraft building. In the afternoon we completed 5 Work Tables, 1 for each pair of members, because multiple sections will get build at the same time, we need a lot of tables.

It was a great experience and everyone worked hard, we completed all 5 tables in only 3 hours! With all the boring stuff out the way, we can?t wait for our kit to arrive somewhere in middle May?Sign of good things to come.

The pile of wood precut to size
tables_01.jpg

Starting with the sides in front of the hangar on a nice sunny day, working on the underside of the table top for a nice flat surface.
tables_02.jpg

Some of the onlookers coming to investigate what we were doing, looking at the pile of wood were skeptic.
tables_03.jpg

Get comfortable, bare feet and all
tables_04.jpg

Sides are done now for some cross bracing
tables_05.jpg

The structure coming along nicely, on your knees to get it done.
tables_06.jpg

Ready to fit the table top
tables_07.jpg

Fitting the castor wheels.
tables_08.jpg

tables_09.jpg

Getting comfortable!
tables_10.jpg

...<SNIP>

History: Day Zero Continue

<CONTINUE>...

All 5 tables done!
tables_11.jpg

The first group photo, me on the far right.
tables_12.jpg

Now we just have to wait until the first kit arrives, somewhere in May, till then...
Regards
Rudi

History: Day 1 : 5 July 2010

RVators,

We had our first build Sunday, none of these gents built an airplane before. We started at 8AM and by 4:30PM they had lots of hands on first experiences and had an Airworthy Vertical Stab to show for it.

The SA RV12 Build Team
day_01_10.jpg

Next Build Sunday is in 2 weeks time.

Rudi

History: Build Day 2: 16 July 2010

BUILD SUNDAY #2

We had 4 of the 5 teams present. This is the first time the team had to work on their own parts, with me assisting when they run into ???

End of day Result:
100% completed Rudder
100% completed Center Section
100% completed Servo push rod
33% completed Trim Tabs
33% completed Tailcone

On to the pictures...

Wouter and Leon busy with the Rudder
day_02_01.jpg

Jan and Justin busy with the Tailcone skins
day_02_02.jpg

Julius and Martin busy with trim tabs and trim servo
day_02_03.jpg

Peter and "I behind the camera" busy with the center section, the hart of the fuselage and wings
day_02_04.jpg

A hive of activity, each team busy at their own table
day_02_05.jpg

The center section took lots of drilling and countersinking into that thick piece of aluminium, check all the shavings.
day_02_06.jpg

The Rudder Complete
day_02_07.jpg

Trim Servo Push rod complete, these gents look like they enjoy it.
day_02_08.jpg

Close up
day_02_09.jpg

The center section complete
day_02_10.jpg

Next build day is Sunday in 2 weeks, till then...Regards Rudi

Build Day 3: 1 Aug 2010

Build Sunday 3:

All 5 teams were present.

End of day Result:
66% completed H-Stabilator
66% completed Tailcone
100% completed baggage floor area and baggage ribs
100% completed deburring ALL the wing ribs
50% completed seat floor pans

On to the pictures...

Wouter and Leon busy with the H-Stabilator, you are seeing the main spar box for it.
day_03_01.jpg

Peter and I busy with the baggage floor and ribs that attaches to the center section we finished last time.
day_03_02.jpg

Jan and Justin busy with the rear tailcone bulkhead where the stabilator hinges. An intricate and strong piece of work.
day_03_03.jpg

Then we had a "surprise" visit from the only flying RV12 in South Africa. THANX ALAN!
day_03_09.jpg

Jan and Justin & Father inlaw starting assembling the tailcone. Gerrit and Alan in the background busy with floor seats pans
day_03_04.jpg

Leon overlooking all the wing ribs that Martin and Julius deburred the whole day long :twisted: I think they had enough of deburring :lol:
day_03_05.jpg

End of day Peter and I finished the baggage floor area
day_03_06.jpg

End of day Leon and Wouter finished the H-Stab Skeleton, well almost we have 2 bad parts
day_03_07.jpg

End of day the tailcone being skinned
day_03_08.jpg

Outstanding, Rudi.....

....and thanks for all the pictures.

BTW, is there a good reason to not work every weekend?

Best,

Outstanding report...

Thanks, Rudi, for the report and pictures. It appears that enthusiasm remains at a high level among the team members.

Tony

....and thanks for all the pictures.

BTW, is there a good reason to not work every weekend?

Best,

Pierre, it is all about fun and pacing ourselves and finding time to do other things as well, hence I (main build instructor) have given a commitment to be there every 2nd Sunday the official build day 8am-5pm, but some guys come in adhoc on Saturdays for 1/2 a day to do deburing preparations. It is too early in the project to leave them to their own devices yet :p They have lots of questions and me being there on a commited time helps everyone.

Official build day is big affair, we appoint a Chef for the day, everyone gets a turn, and they try and impress us with their culinary capabilities during lunch. :D

It's a lot of fun. It sounds like a factory too with 2 bench grinders, a pencil grinder and a drill going singing sounds together. :D much more sociable than building alone.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Tables

Rudi,
Do you have the drawings for the tables ya'll built? I am getting my shop ready for my -12. Used jigs on my -6 so I need to build some.

Thanks in Advance.

Subkits ordering

Hi Rudi,

I'm about to start the same kind of adventure in my flying club and I just have some logistics questions for you:
- Did you order all subkits at the same time, or just some of them?
- In the pictures, you don't show how you inventoried and stored the different parts as received from Van's. Did you build shelves? If yes, how many are necessary to store everything once inventoried? What size?
- Are there many difficult to store items, like pre-bent L.E. skins?

Thank you for your help and inspiration

Hi Rudi,

I'm about to start the same kind of adventure in my flying club and I just have some logistics questions for you:
Q1) Did you order all subkits at the same time, or just some of them?
Q2) In the pictures, you don't show how you inventoried and stored the different parts as received from Van's. Did you build shelves? If yes, how many are necessary to store everything once inventoried? What size?
Q3) Are there many difficult to store items, like pre-bent L.E. skins?

Thank you for your help and inspiration

Hi Daniel,

A1) Yes we ordered EVERYTHING together, and took delivery ASAP and when Vans could ship it.
A2) We inventoried each kit individually as we received them, and put all the parts back into the crates and sealed it up. Then we only started on the Emp kit, opened the crate and took out the parts we needed and assigned it to teams. The teams took their parts out of the EMP crate and stored it either under their table or back in the Empannage crate. We store all the EMP hardware bags in a single cardboard box. With the teams completing the Emp sections we opened the Fuse and Wing Kit Crates. Same story The majority of the parts stays in their respective crates, but each team takes out what they need for their portion and store it under their assigned table. We will only open the Finishing and Powerplant crates as soon as most of the Wing and Fuse is completed, limiting the amount of open crates. Long description but I hope it makes sense...
A3) NO everything fits back into the crates as described and smaller components goes under the assigned teams tables, look carefully at the pictures and you will see crates in the background and parts under the tables.

Regards
Rudi

Helping build a hangar and future build home

This Saturday we assisted a couple of guys with their hangar that will make the home for EAA 575, and where we want to move to soon to complete our RV12 build Project.

Our tasks for the day is put a strong roof on the store room, strong enough to support it for a storage area on top
Raw Materials loaded on my 1400cc work horse. This little pick-up has transported many Airplane kits before...
hangar_build_01.jpg

Delivered in front of the said store room
hangar_build_02.jpg

Wall plates and alternate cross beams going up, Peter looking handy with a Hammer!
hangar_build_03.jpg

Julius just after handing the top plywood ceiling with brute might to Gerrit on top screwing it down. Peter finishing up the interim beams that matches where the plywood top seam and joint is.
hangar_build_04.jpg

Gerrit continuing screwing down the plywood ceiling
hangar_build_05.jpg

Martin sealing the joints to keep the dust out the store room
hangar_build_06.jpg

The final product the roof installed and sturdy for almost any load on top to increase storage space.
hangar_build_07.jpg

We ended the day with a BIG CLEANING session, we washed the hangar out to try and get rid of about a years worth of building dust that accumulated during the construction of it.
hangar_build_08.jpg

It is almost ready for occupation, just need the power connected and alarm and armed response installed...soon very soon we will move.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Build Sunday #4

Build Sunday 4:

End of day Result:
100% completed H-Stabilator
100% completed Tailcone
100% completed Wing Spar Assembly
100% completed Trim tabs
90% completed seat floor pans

On to the pictures...

Julius and Martin finaly completed the trim tabs, after they got their replacement parts!
day_04_01.jpg

Justin and Jan riveting up the tailcone
day_04_02.jpg

Leon and Wouter riveting up the H-Stab skin
day_04_03.jpg

A hive of activity...
1st Table in front: Gerrit and Alan busy with the seat assemblies
2nd Table: Julius and Martin with the wing spar assemblies
3rd Table: Peter and I busy with the fuse center section
Last Table: Wouter busy with the H-stab and Hentie(visitor for the day) looking on.
day_04_04.jpg

Peter with a fuselage bulkhead that will attach to the front centersection...lots of nutplates and solid rivets in this piece
day_04_05.jpg

Wouter and Leon with their completed H-Stab and counter balance weight installed
day_04_06.jpg

Jan closing up the tailcone
day_04_07.jpg

Jan and Justin completed the tailcone, we stole some of their glory and posed in front of their masterpiece for the closing group photo of the Sunday #4
day_04_08.jpg

Impressive!

Rudi,
Great progress pictures, --- did I read "alarm and armed response" installed at the hangar? :eek:

Tony

Rudi,
Great progress pictures, --- did I read "alarm and armed response" installed at the hangar? :eek:

Tony

Unfortenately yes, problem of living in 3rd world country with high employment rate, alarm is linked to response unit who is armed to scare would be criminals away, standard practise here if you want your goods insured by insurance company. Would be criminals are usually after tools and accessories they can sell easily on black market. Unfortunately they have figured out hangars are an easy target at night when no-one is around. :mad: But this is not what this thread is about, so let us not dwell on the negatives NUFF SAID...:D

We hope soon to move to EAA hangar for more convenient building space, as soon as they have the necesaties in place :)

More questions

Hi Rudi,
First, thank you for your previous answers and explanations. Very helpful. As I'm now trying to finalize the budget, including various taxes and customs fees specific to my country, I'd like to know how much you were charged for shipping the whole kit to South Africa. I guess my costs will not be that different from yours if we look at only shipping, maybe less as France looks closer to Oregon than S.A. does.
Cheers

Hi Rudi,
First, thank you for your previous answers and explanations. Very helpful. As I'm now trying to finalize the budget, including various taxes and customs fees specific to my country, I'd like to know how much you were charged for shipping the whole kit to South Africa. I guess my costs will not be that different from yours if we look at only shipping, maybe less as France looks closer to Oregon than S.A. does.
Cheers

About $7,000 on shipping split 50/50 airfreight and sea freight. This excludes any local Taxes which adds another 14% on top of the Value of the kit +/- $8,500 so our kit cost +/- $15,000 more than if someone did it in the USA for instance.

Our tasks for the day is put a strong roof on the store room, strong enough to support it for a storage area on top
Raw Materials loaded on my 1400cc work horse. This little pick-up has transported many Airplane kits before...
hangar_build_01.jpg

Gotta love those little backies. I saw a full size steer loaded in one of those, cruising down the M4 just west of Pretoria. Wish I had my camera with me at the time.

Oh, and the project looks great so far. screaming right along.

Build Sunday #5

Build Sunday 5:

End of day Result:
- Vstab and Rudder tips installed
- Vstab and Rudder fitted to Tailcone and hinged
- Tailcone faring 50% complete
- Seat floor Assemblies completed and riveted to center section
- Wing Nose Ribs trimmed and wing rear spar to flaperon brackets completed.
- Forward lower Fuselage 80% completed

On to the pictures...

Jan and Justin fitting the tip fairings and hinging the rudder
day_05_01.jpg

Gerrit and Alan finished the seat floor assemblies and then moved on to the longerons.
day_05_02.jpg

Leon and Wouter almost done with the forward lower fuselage
day_05_03.jpg

Myself and Peter extending the center section forward.
day_05_04.jpg

Julius and Martin with their pile of wing ribs and their flaperon hinges
day_05_05.jpg

Justin and Jan fitting the rudder and Vstab to tailcone and fitting the tailcone fairing
day_05_06.jpg

Build Sunday 6

Build Sunday 6:

All 2/3rds of the teams were present, with some popping in out out due to other commitments and some feeling a bit under the weather...
End of day Result:
- Hstab installed and hinged
- Tailcone Fairing 80% compled
- Forward Fuselage completed
- Seat back Assemblies completed
- Middle Fuselage bottom skins riveted in place.
- Longerons bent to shape
- Started on the rudder peddals

On to the pictures...

Peter and I started to rivet the middle fuse lower side skins
day_06_01.jpg

Then the bottom skin...
day_06_02.jpg

...all done
day_06_03.jpg

Wouter and Leon finished their forward fuse, here is the seat backs, and then they started on the rudder peddals
day_06_04.jpg

Julius and Martin finished one wing skeleton
day_06_05.jpg

Justin and Jan hinged and fitted the Hstabilator and almost done with the tailcone fairing
day_06_06.jpg

Next build day is Sunday in 2 weeks, till then...
Regards Rudi

All of those guys seem to have the RV grin, and they have not even flown yet! What a great project.

Keep pulling those rivets! :D

Build Sunday 7:
(Total of 445 Airplane Building Man Hours)

It was a long weekend with a public holiday friday so only 6 of our 10 man team was present, the rest took leave and some R&R.
1/2 our day was consumed by moving hangar to EAA 575 who accepted us with open arms. We moved about 1/2 mile inside the airfield to the new home.
The rest of the day we set up shop again, but we did manage to do some building at the end of the day.

End of day Result:
- Complete move to new hangar
- Tailcone Fairing 90% compled
- Forward Fuselage joined to main fuselage
- Fuselage Side structures going up and longerons slotted in place.
- Stall warning installed.
- Wing Skeletons complete and ready to start skinning the wings..

On to the pictures...

We were moving to another hangar (The EAA 575 hangar) on the same airfield. So a big flatbed trailor came in handy and we loaded it then drove it at walking speed with the builders next to it up to the new hangar. Moving 4 of our tables in one go, wing spar crate on top, and wing skin crate on the rear.
day_07_01.jpg

Starting to move into the new hangar
day_07_07.jpg

Going back in my little 1400 cc pick-up to fetch another load. This little 'bakkie' is a real little work horse for airplane building ;-)
I need to teach these new builders something about CG rules and calculations
day_07_08.jpg

Moving the Rear Fuse, 2 Tables and Middle Fuselage in one go
day_07_02.jpg

Julius taking it easy holding the Stabilator in position for the ride
day_07_09.jpg

Julius and Gerrit trying to get going in our new home
day_07_03.jpg

Pieter, Gerrit and Alan riviting the FWD fuse to the MID Fuse upside down.
day_07_04.jpg

Pieter inspecting Julius starting to skin the wing.
day_07_05.jpg

Some more "action photos" instead of posed photos...

Julius studying plans
day_07_10.jpg

Justin cooking our lunch meal. Amenities are still very scarce in the new hangar home, but we could't wait to get more space, so we moved in before everything is ready.
day_07_11.jpg

....continue below

Last edited:
continue from above....

Alan Deburing
day_07_12.jpg

Me and Gerrit discussing the plans
day_07_13.jpg

Team photo of the day with the fuselage side structures going up and the longerons fitted in place on top.
day_07_06.jpg

Next build day is Sunday in 2 weeks, till then...
Regards Rudi

Build Sunday 8:
(Total of 561 Airplane Building Man Hours)

We had our full compliment of team present, all 10 members.
We also had 3 visiting parties, totaling 5 extra bodies wielding their hand at airplane building

End of day Result:
- Completely skinned the left wing
- Skinned the fuselage sides
- Installed the rudder pedals and brake master cylinders
- Completed the roll bar and rear fuse/bagage bulkhead and drilled it in place
- 80% completed the fuel system line routings inside the cockpit

On to the pictures...

First up we had Malcolm, an Airfield friend, his colleague and his son pop in to see what we are doing and they lend a hand at skinning the left wing.
day_08_01.JPG

With the extra help the bottom left wing got skinned in no time at all. "Building an airplane is easy": said the visiting son to his father!
day_08_02.JPG

Then we skinned the fuselage sides. Dewald another RV12 Builder brough his VSstab to get some help and guidence while we were busy.
day_08_03.JPG

After skinning the fuse, Jan crawled underneath to work the fuel lines.
day_08_04.JPG

The Roll bar being fitted. In the background is our tailcone under blue covers.
day_08_05.JPG

Turning the left wing over and blowing out all the dust before starting to skin the top.
day_08_06.JPG

Jan and Justin flaring a fuel line
day_08_07.JPG

The Alan and Gerrit fitted the Roll bar and rear fuse/baggage bulkhead in position. Jan still fiddling with the fuel lines through the baggage bulkhead.
day_08_08.JPG

Martin and Julius finished skinning the left wing
day_08_09.JPG

Then end for day 8, all packed neatly away to wait for Sunday in 2 weeks.
day_08_10.JPG

Regards Rudi

PS: HMMM no replies in 2 weeks, you guys still interested? Should I keep on posting???

Keep Posting.

Rudy,

Keep them coming, it is interesting to see that rapid progress made with that many hands helping. It is also nice to see guys working together toward a common goal. Keeps me motivated.

Best,
Ben

Really, don't quite know what to say....

...just really neat watching the progress and enjoying your postings.

Best,

These photos are great! We are beginning what I believe is the first High School RV-12 build (other than the one done in Van's factory.) I have been searching the web for the best inspirational site to give the kids more of an idea of what is coming. Surprise! Like always, I found it right here on VAF! Thanks for the great photos. It is really good to see 100% RV grins, even at this stage of the RV experience.

Bob Kelly

Heck yeah keep em coming!!! As of this post 4993 people thought it was interesting!!!

You guys are paving a road that I think many will travel on!

RV Story

Hey Guys keep up the RV story Im sure its very valuable for other Builders & I find it very Interesting, Good Luck to your Completion!

Good I will keep on posting, but it is always good to get some feedback, so I was just checking if we have any "live ones out there" :p;):D

Sunday Day #9

Build Sunday 9:
(Total of 641 Airplane Building Man Hours)

We had 9 members present.
3 other RV builder/owners came to inspect and learn.

End of day Result:
- Joined the Tailcone to the Fuselage
- Completed the Fuel System
- Installed a park brake system (We need one if we want to present the airplane for ppl training approval to our CAA=your FAA)
- Completed the left wing tip installation, meaning the left wing is now 100% complete.
- Completed the tailcone fairing installation.

The end of day team photo (We could have fitted the left wing into its socket, but we were concerned about balance on the saw horses)
day_09_01.jpg

Last edited:
Back