What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive fuel senders

Pin 21

I am working on a RV7 that has capacitive fuel tank senders and Prinston converters. The tanks were built about 9 years ago but this is the first time the tanks have had fuel in them for calibration. The capacitive senders are a Vans part. The instructions for calibrating the fuel quantity starts from empty, however we keep getting error lights. Anybody had similar problems and found an issue that can be fixed. the EFIS is Grand Rapids Horizon.

Check that the voltage out of the converter is between 0 and 5V first. If so, there should be no errors. If not, check the rest of the wiring.

When calibrating my -7A with Dynon converters, the system warned with each fuel addition that the change was very small or not detected. However, I went on with the calibration and everything worked out fine.

I am working on a RV7 that has capacitive fuel tank senders and Prinston converters. The tanks were built about 9 years ago but this is the first time the tanks have had fuel in them for calibration. The capacitive senders are a Vans part. The instructions for calibrating the fuel quantity starts from empty, however we keep getting error lights. Anybody had similar problems and found an issue that can be fixed. the EFIS is Grand Rapids Horizon.

So.. According to the documentation Here attached to a post by Kahuna :

The data error indication is an alternating cycling ON/OFF condition of the center light and outer pair.

A short is all three lights cycling ON/OFF at the same time.

An unstable input is the left pair and the right one cycling ON/OFF alternately.

Which error are you getting?

We have all 3 lights cycling at once (short). Have checked and there is no short. We had access to a new princeton converter and powered it up on the bench and got the same result (3 lights flashing). Maybe there is a step I haven't carried out, any ideas ?:confused:

For information, the problem turned out that I had terminated the shield of the Co-ax, from the Princeton converter, to the outer of the BNC connector. The shield should not be connected but left open at the BNC end of the cable.:eek:

With the tanks empty and vented, remove your converters from the tank and use an OHM meter to see if there is a short between the capacitance plates and the tank. To do this, simple touch one probe to the tank and the other to center pin of the BNC connector. If there is continuity, then the plates were installed wrong.

Back