What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Flying Geese

DHRYCAUK

I was returning to my home base yesterday later in the day, cruising along at 6500' MSL (4000' AGL) and looked to my 8 o' clock and to my surprise seen a large flock of Canada geese 500' above me and a few hundred yards away flying away from me. The current weather conditions were overcast so the sky was darker making it hard to see them before they past me.
I must admit it kinda startled me and I immediately thought about captain Scully!!

It definitely gave me a new appreciation to keep your head on a swivel for birds even at altitude....

Last edited:
Spring and Fall.....

...... it's migration season again! Keep your eyes outside.:eek: and wide open!:eek:

Last edited:
birds as traffic

My first months flying the Alaska wilderness were like a big zoo.
The chief pilot who grew up in a native village reminded me Bald Eagles have no natural enemies. They will not change heading for anything else in the sky. He had a torn up leading edge to prove the risk. I did try and chase some off the rocks at low tide now and then with a Beaver. They did not budge.
The big geese are more apt to move... with a threat. But, the formations are large and spread out. Hitting one would be a major impact... not good.
We had a gaggle staying near the airport in Prescott last winter. You could hear them honk during pre flight on the ground. Keeping a sharp eye out is imperative.

Last year at this time my neighbor hit 2 geese at 12,500 somewhere in the vicinity of Ontario, OR. About $50k damage to his Bonanza. Fortunately not thru the windshield. They were able to land safely.

Sully didn't hit any Geese!

Jeff Skiles has made it very plain to us. He is the one who hit the Geese, but yet Sully gets all the credit. All Sulley did was land the plane in a big wide river. In my humble opinion it is a lot harder to hit a two foot wing span target in flight than a two thousand foot wide relatively stationary river.

Back