What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Found my wings!

lostpilot

I'm new to experimental flying. My goal is to put together an RV 3, I believe I've just found the wings and I'm going to go fly out to see them. what should I be looking for during inspection? I have no idea what I'm getting into, and I want to make sure I check everything that I need to check.

If possible I would try to find someone who has built an rv in the area. Maybe you can buy them lunch and they will meet you to help inspect the wings with you. The more eyes the better.

First - figure out wihch version of the wing you're looking at - original, -A, with or without the TWO different service bulletins, or -B. You want to know what you are buying.

Then....make sure you get the center section parts, or you will have a very challenging time when it comes to building the fuselage. Wings and center section are mated parts - and the RV-3's are all a iny bit different, so you need a set.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
If he says "the mods were done", then it is an early wing that has been modified - you need to go to Van's website and download the Service Bulletin that describes the mod and then check the wings to see that the mods were completed by the book.

The center section is the part of the fuselage that the wings mate in to - the center spar section and the bulkhead that holds the thing together. In my opiniopn, if you are not an experienced builder, you can really walk into a mess if you pick up wings without the matching fuselage parts, and then try to builld it all up. There be dragons here.....

Sounds fishy to me. If he says that "the mods were done" then how could he not know which version the wings are? Did the seller build the wings?

Ok, I got a little confused. I thought the center section parts came with the wings. But from what I am learning it comes with the fuselage.

The wings and fuselage are coming from two different projects so I will need to mate the two and deal with any difficulties that may arise. I will be working with a tech advisor on site so I won't be over my head.

In this post, this is the center section we are speaking about?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125736

Yes

Ok, I got a little confused. I thought the center section parts came with the wings. But from what I am learning it comes with the fuselage.

The wings and fuselage are coming from two different projects so I will need to mate the two and deal with any difficulties that may arise. I will be working with a tech advisor on site so I won't be over my head.

It is part of the fuselage but must be matched to the wing spars - the center section holes are match-drilled (at the factory) to the particular wing spars. (Today's kits are all drilled to a jig, so they are interchangable - not true of the older kits). Mixing and matching is possible, but can involve some very serious work - we just want you to go into this with your eyes open.

Doug, IIRC, the center section usually accompanies the wings. When you later order the fuselage, you'll get everything except the center section, which you already have, mated to your wing spars.

Best,

Contact Wayne at Phlogiston. He is the expert on the subject of mismatched center section/wing spars. He can walk you through your options.

Super good guy too...

Wonder where the fuselage went to that the wings you found should be married up to?

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A Sold
RV-9A 13B Project still awaiting attention...
from what the seller tells me, the wings were taking off to do some type of project I'm not sure exactly what. Because as I stated earlier the original owner passed away.

Doug, IIRC, the center section usually accompanies the wings. When you later order the fuselage, you'll get everything except the center section, which you already have, mated to your wing spars.

Best,
The research and what I have been told is the center section comes with the fuselage..Is this Co?

Contact Wayne at Phlogiston. He is the expert on the subject of mismatched center section/wing spars. He can walk you through your options.

Super good guy too...

A Google search turn up nothing about this company. Any more information available?

Back