What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Summer proseal pot times?

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
When I pro-sealed my first fuel tank it was Nov/Dec and the temps were pretty chilly. I got into a rhythm once I understood the pot times. Seems to me the Proseal was good for about 40 minutes max before it started getting too stiff. I could mix up a batch of 50-60g of the stuff and use most of it on a rib. Those of you who worked on your tanks in the summer, are there any radical changes to the pot times for proseal?

I just did my right tank in Arizona when it was near 100 deg in my garage. I ran out of M.E.K. and had to run to Home Depot to get some. 25 min later I finished without any trouble. The pro seal had been mixed for about 1.5 hours when I started my clean up process. Now I did notice this morning when I checked on the tank that the pro seal was not tacky at all. This was not the case when I did the left tank back in March when the temp's were in the 60-70 range. It was 2 days before the pro seal was not tacky any more.

I might add that it was over 110 deg in my garage yesterday afternoon or like a big oven for setting up pro seal or slow cooking a turkey.

Sometimes in Az in the summer you feel like you're being cooked like a turkey.

Last edited:
This rule of thumb is from a Proseal distributor, but is sort of generic for most chemical reactions...

Rule of thumb: for every 17?F (10?C) rise in temperature, application life is reduced approximately by half, and for every 17?F (10?C) dip, it is approximately doubled.

My first tank was done in cooler weather. When I got around to my second tank, it was in the July/August timeframe. I was worried about the shortened pot life so I bought B4 proseal (4 hour working time vs 2 hour for the B2 that vans sells) from a local distributor. It was perfect for working in hotter weather.

Back