What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it possible?

theman1990

I'm New Here
So yes, this is my first post and I promise it's not a troll post.... I'm interested in building an RV-14A.... I've built a 65 Mustang that was a magazine cover car as well as a few bikes so I am certainly mechanically inclined.... There is, however, a rub....

I have one arm... I'm a retired CPT from the Army, former AH-64A pilot (Go Guns!) who lost an arm in the 'Stan... I'm currently an ER Doc so motivation isn't a problem. I built the fastback during my intern year as a doc... I'm currently bored with no projects and looking to get back into aviation (already have commercial, RW, Inst and SEL and medical waiver for prosthetic [FAA loved that one....])

My concern is I'd like to do the QUICKBUILD but I worry about being able to rivet with one arm and a prosthetic. I have a hook with a reasonable amount of grip but no articulation. How much pressure does the buck bar require? Thoughts? Anyone in the Tampa Bay area who will let me come screw up some scrap metal?

Thanks in advance!!

The car!

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1508-army-vet-builds-a-1965-ford-mustang-fastback/

First, you sound like a guy that could do about whatever you want. My son was an AH64 driver too. I wish you were closer to where I live, I would love to get you building.

Riveting is a tricky thing and may take some adapting of tools and fittings for your hook, but I bet it is possible. I am struggling to get all my wiring finalized and all bundled with supports. That could be tricky. It can't be harder than being an er doctor!

I am sure you will get a bunch of offers to visit builders and pilots in your area that would love to show you what is involved in a build.

Best of luck and welcome to a great bunch of people interested in having fun building and flying. Thank you for your service and sacrifice for the rest of us.

I remember years ago an article in kit planes about a guy in a wheelchair who built a -6, i bee lie that would be before QB kits or even pre punch. I was sure impressed with the struggle it must have been for him.
He fitted it with hand controls and flew it after convincing the Feds he was capable.
Thank-you for your sacrifice and service.
Tim Andres

Yes, absolutely. You'll need a bucking bar buddy anyway for a good bit of them and a lot are done with a pneumatic which is easily used one handed, not to mention a small percentage are pop rivets.

Definitely go for it you will love building, just have a girlfriend/wife/buddy available from time to time.

Last edited:
The bucking bar does not require much pressure at all, the weight of the bar does the work. Tungsten bars work best for me and they may or may not for you. They are a lot smaller than steel bars.
There are lots of builders in your area and surely someone will let you try riveting some scrap and help build. The help build part would really show what is necessary.

Nope. Not possible, because you need to go get a tail wheel endorsement and build a -14, trust me. :D

Nice mustang!

Will send you a PM with my number. I live in Clearwater and keep my 9A in Zephyrhills. I would be more than happy to buck rivets, especially in exchange for some car knowledge, since building a muscle car is my next goal...

Chris

Get a helper

Riveting is one thing, but there are many areas in building an airplane that are going to require two fully-functional hands. Many times I could have used three or four when doing wiring or making up tubing. So my suggestion is to get yourself a helper for the fine work that you can no longer do and press on.

I have found that teenagers, with the right attitude, make excellent helpers when riveting. Their hands are nimble and they learn fast, really fast. Trade some riveting time for flight hours later!

Help needed

I had to have my wife and neighbor help me in a few places here and there.
I'm thinking you won't need help at all.

Enjoy the build. They are amazing airplanes.

That Mustang is a massive project! Well done. So, if you can do that, the airplane should not be much different. I am a solo builder and have enlisted a friend to drive and buck rivets for many areas where one person can not do the job. You will find a few more, but would still need the friend like we all did. Find someone as meticulous as yourself and you will have no problems. They will get hooked!

Check out the main squeeze - rivet squeezer from Cleaveland Tools. It is a geared tool and with a strong grip should work nicely.

Hope to see your build posted here!!

Yes.

Yep, it can be done. You may need to figure some things out and how to adapt to getting them done and yes you will need a little help from time to time. The new pre-punched units are far easier to put together. The older kits "not saying my age" and all the holes we drilled did take some time and planning along with a jig or two. We have the "X" chairman of the Disabled Vets on our field. He has restored an Aerocoup from the ground up and maintains his C-182 by him self. I am constantly humbled by what can be done with the will and drive to do it. He does have a nice girl friend that likes to help and that does seem to make things go better.
I hope this helps, Yours most gratefully, R.E.A. III #80888

Most homebuilders look for any excuse to buy another tool, and many of us will make a tool that fits the job. Ever read any Robert Heinlein? The protagonist in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a one-armed computer tech who has built multiple arms for various purposes. Make us jealous! Build the attachments you need. :)

Seriously, you'll almost certainly find people willing to help when you absolutely must have another hand, and that happens with some tasks whether you have all both arms or not. I got help with my slow-build wings from a student at the local A&P school, who wanted some extra experience with sheet metal work, but almost anyone can learn to drive/buck rivets, and the other stuff is mostly just extra muscle.

Welcome to the club.

Charlie

I would venture to say the biggest hurdle to building an airplane is mental, and you are by far more equipped to build an airplane mentally than 99% of us, including those that have done so already.

I would venture to say the biggest hurdle to building an airplane is mental, and you are by far more equipped to build an airplane mentally than 99% of us, including those that have done so already.

This x 100!

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely take people up on help if the are local... I suppose I should clarify in "is it possible in reasonable time" I know it's possible but I also don't want a 10000 hour project!! We shall see :) I have a g/f who is eager to help and a few friends to con into it, too...

As for the other areas where two handed dexterity is a must (wiring etc), I've built harnesses etc already using just the hand and a hook, you'd be surprised. There were a lot of time where I used toes to hold stuff when building the car. People would wonder why I worked on it in flip flops.....

Get ahold of your local EAA chapter and ask someone to give you a riveting lesson with scrape aluminum.

You will find that riveting is easy, just a lot of "easy". You may have a machinist adapt your prosthesis to a bucking bar to make it easier. Heck, even with two arms, I sometimes had to have my wife, who has very small hands, do some task for me.

Good luck with your build! Attitude is everything!

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely take people up on help if the are local... I suppose I should clarify in "is it possible in reasonable time" I know it's possible but I also don't want a 10000 hour project!! We shall see :) I have a g/f who is eager to help and a few friends to con into it, too...

As for the other areas where two handed dexterity is a must (wiring etc), I've built harnesses etc already using just the hand and a hook, you'd be surprised. There were a lot of time where I used toes to hold stuff when building the car. People would wonder why I worked on it in flip flops.....

Go for it, thank you for your service, and be sure to post photos of your build as you go! I for one am excited already to see it.

You will find that riveting is easy, just a lot of "easy".

And frustrating, a lot of "frustrating", especially if you are a perfectionist. I've had to let go of a good bit of my OCD on this project, it's probably done wonders for my mental health.

It's just not going to be perfect, probably why everybody posts low resolution pics on the forum! :D

Keep in mind the painter is going to fix all those cosmetic flaws.

Edit: You will be an expert at drilling out rivets in no time!

Lots of good advice. You can do it and in a reasonable amount of time. My Dad lost his arm in a farming accident at age five. There is nothing he couldn't do.

Do it "Troop!"

Based on your past accomplishments and your apparent drive I say you can build an RV. You may need help sometimes, but finding it shouldn't be a problem. It'll be easier than "flying the bag."

Based on your past accomplishments and your apparent drive I say you can build an RV. You may need help sometimes, but finding it shouldn't be a problem. It'll be easier than "flying the bag."

Gotta love that one pinhole of light that always seemed to shoot directly into the left eye.... I was OEF 7, crashed out April 28 2006.... CW3 Flanigan was with us who passed there in July 06 if ya knew him?

Resources available right down the road from Tampa

Bucking the rivets is about 1 percent of the time. It is the understanding what to do and the preparation of the parts that is the time consuming part. One thing to recognize is that Vans has done a nice job breaking the kits down into multiple buys so you do not have the whole commitment up front. Buy the first kit and give it a try. If you want a smaller bite, they sell two practice kits. You can also watch the EAA videos to see how and what is done. EAA also has metal working classes between Tampa and Orlando, so you can take a class.
links:
http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1502237164-494-48&browse=misc&product=toolbox

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...4-494-48&browse=misc&product=training-project

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...tair-workshops/eaa-sportair-workshop-schedule

http://eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_homebuilding

The bucking process uses the mass of the bucking bar, it is am impulse reaction, so it does not take much force. You could probably tape the bucking bar to the prosthetic. I would think the challenge will be feeling the bucking bar on the rivet, that will add to the challenge that we all have and I would expect a few more "bleeping" dings, we all have some :)

Can you start and finish the project is probably totally independent of your perceived handicap. You cannot grasp the level of tenacity that is required to finish before you start, at least I could not.

I would encourage you to give it a try.

It is possible and you WILL accomplish it in a reasonable amount of time. You will need help because I don't know anybody who ever built an airplane without assistance.

Thank you for volunteering to go to war to defend our freedom!

How about a -12?

I suspect your not one to have to rely on others for help. Maybe consider a -12 with blind or pulled rivets? I'm not sure the -12 is all pulled but most of it is. You could shoot blind rivets all day long with a pneumatic gun one handed.

And I too thank you for your service and sacrifice.

So yes, this is my first post and I promise it's not a troll post.... I'm interested in building an RV-14A.... I've built a 65 Mustang that was a magazine cover car as well as a few bikes so I am certainly mechanically inclined.... There is, however, a rub....

Hi Daniel, there are numerous posters on this thread who are giving you opinions on whether you can finish an RV14A and they are universally optimistic about your chances...however many of the posters have never finished building an RV. So they are talking from the heart and not from experience.

So that is your problem here. Everyone wants to encourage you. Whether they are giving you good and realistic advice is another question. I'm sure you understand the situation.

Of course you can build an RV14A. You are obviously a clever and determined individual and there is always a way. However my opinion is that, realistically, it will take you a fairly long time to finish the aircraft. But if time is not a consideration then go for it.

During the build of my RV7A I found that there were many many tasks that were extremely difficult to accomplish even with 2 hands.... installing adel clamps, hard-to-access riveting, safety wiring etc etc....the list is endless. In very congested and hard to reach areas the degree of difficulty increases exponentially. And getting good quality and timely assistance with building tasks can be problematic.

It might be prudent for you to give serious consideration to building an RV12. It's not exactly a hotrod but a good sports aircraft non-the-less. The fact that it uses pop rivets rather than driven rivets would make an enormous difference to you. It is also a much more comprehensive kit with a greater degree of prefabrication. In particular the FWF and electrical systems are virtually plug and play.

Alternatively you might like to consider buying a completed RV. You can often buy them for less than the cost of the parts and be in the air immediately. It just depends whether you get your jollies from flying or from spending years tinkering in a workshop.

Buy the empanage kit!

Try that first. It's a small bite of the elephant, but it'll give you a taste. Be sure and join your local EAA chapter and get to know other RV builders too.

You said you have a girlfriend who's eager to help. You should really have no issues. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Bucking rivets...

Like has been said, riveting is only a small part of what is involved in building an airplane.

But when it comes to bucking rivets solo, control is more important than strength.

Most of the rivets that you buck you will being doing blind. In other words you can't see both sides of the rivet at once. Usually it is the bucking bar side that you can't see, because you need your eyes on the gun side for proper placement of the rivet gun. You depend on feel and touch for the proper placement of the bucking bar over a rivet. Once you pull the trigger you depend on the feel, strength and control of the bucking bar hand to keep the bar in the right spot as it bounces on the shop side of the rivet.

A generous amount of duct tape over the corners of the bucking bar can help avoid damage to surrounding parts, if you loose control of the bucking bar. Bucking bars do want to wander!

You might explore a special hook attachment that made it so you could hold the rivet gun in your hook.

Of course a dedicated bucking partner makes this much easier for all of us. And some small percentage of the rivets require a bucking partner anyway.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice!

Good Luck, you'll have a blast!
Michael-

My concern is I'd like to do the QUICKBUILD but I worry about being able to rivet with one arm and a prosthetic.

Contact Shayne McDaniel, co-builder (with son-in-law John Walker) of a beautiful RV-10, as well as several previous aircraft flown by himself and wife Phyllis. Shayne can tell you everything you want to know, from experience, and you'll enjoy speaking with him. Really nice fellow.

John is "Bluelabel" here in the forums. Send John a private message to get Shayne's contact info.

Welcome to the Borg network. You will be assimilated. ;)

Yup. Like others have said before, it's mostly mental. I believe you have "the sickness" and are already one of us. Glad to have you aboard the good ship VAF, and thanks for your sacrifice.

Very possible! A prosthetic hand clamp may work better than one may think. There are a lot of 3/32 rivets in the empennage kit, they will set fairly easy. A flat bucking bar clamped in place with good control should work fine. Give it a try.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A Flying

Contact Shayne McDaniel, co-builder (with son-in-law John Walker) of a beautiful RV-10, as well as several previous aircraft flown by himself and wife Phyllis. Shayne can tell you everything you want to know, from experience, and you'll enjoy speaking with him. Really nice fellow.

John is "Bluelabel" here in the forums. Send John a private message to get Shayne's contact info.

Was just about to chime in on this... Shayne is missing his left arm at the forearm. He has an "apparatus" as we call it. Spring loaded hook.. before our plane he built a Waiex, and 2 Zeniths, and is now finishing a 9A. Of course, Phyllis helps out too. But it's pretty amazing what he does with no help... he does have two advantages, grabbing hot pieces of metal, and no worries about drilling into his finger:D.

But yes, He would be a good person to talk to. He's on here, I'll find out his username.

Assuming you have a retired ID, you ought to shoot an email to someone in the Reserve refueling wing at McDill. I bet they'd be happy to have you over on a family day or similar to shoot some rivets.

In USAF parlance, I think you wanna talk to the Chief of the sheet metal shop in the 927th AMXG :)

he does have two advantages, grabbing hot pieces of metal, and no worries about drilling into his finger:D.

But yes, He would be a good person to talk to. He's on here, I'll find out his username.
So can he still get a Repairman's Certificate without a scar from drilling his hand to prove he built it? :D

I'd be prepared to wager a fair amount you can (and will) build a 14.
Like everyone you will enlist help at times but nothing seems beyond your ability.
Hope you have a builders blog so we can follow your build.
Medicine with one arm is not easy either, especially emergency medicine.

John

I am your man

I built an RV7 about 7 years ago, flew it for 5 and then due to circumstances(lack of funds) sold it. I recently moved to the Tampa area and would love to help out. I have most of the tools and some of the jigs that I used to complete my project. I am a Certified Mechanic with a Repairman Cert. and I have recently retired so I have some time on my hands. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

I do have an ID, may look into that!!

Also sounds like he is missing the arm at about the same spot as me so if her has already built a plane I think I should be great then (also have a farmer's hook [spring loaded one] as well as the high speed, low drag electric one)...

I'll try to reply to all the PM's now, too!!

I built an RV7 about 7 years ago, flew it for 5 and then due to circumstances(lack of funds) sold it. I recently moved to the Tampa area and would love to help out. I have most of the tools and some of the jigs that I used to complete my project. I am a Certified Mechanic with a Repairman Cert. and I have recently retired so I have some time on my hands. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Will definitely take you up on that!! I'm in South Tampa near bayshore, gandy and macdill. Are you any relation to an Amanda Niebauer who's an RN here?

Also, to those who mention EM with one arm.... Yah it certainly has it;'s challenge, one of the biggest being "how do I explain/teach someone with two hands how to do it???" A friend of mine from school whom I taught to suture said someone once pointed out "why do you tie all your knows left handed when you are right handed...." Yeah, my fault, sorry! lol

Niebauers

I moved from a small town in Western NY to Naples about 30 years ago. Moved up to the Tampa area to retire nearer one of my children and his family. In all my time in Fl I have never run across another Niebauer let alone a related one. My relatives are few and not very family oriented. I would love to discuss your build. I have a ton of opinionated advise. If you are interested in hearing it drop me your e-mail.
Craig

Back