What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Zulu V1 - COMM mic feedback whine?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Aviators,

I started getting a Mic feedback whine during transmission, go read here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=150448, then finally traced it to TWO of my Zulu 1 headsets.

In this thread I want to understand if you guys experienced the same with Zulu V1 headsets?

Background:
I have 4 x Zulu V1 headsets: (2 bought in 2008, and 2 bought in 2011)

The 2 bought in 2011 with the newer microphone design, BOTH of them, started giving me serious mic Feedback Whine when I transmit on both my COMM Radios. If I switch OFF the headset ANR the feedback whine disappears. Normal cockpit conversations are fine without the whine. They both effectively are unusable during transmission.

In comparison the 2 bought in 2008 with the older microphone design, BOTH of them are still working 100% fine, if i use them in the same airplane as above, there is no mic feedback whine.

I tried all 4 headsets in a different airplane, and still the 2 from 2011, gives Mic Feedback Whine on Transmit.

So there is definitely a problem with my newer models bought in 2011. Even when i adjust the MIC Gain on the Mic boom to ZERO, i get MIC feedback whine.

Photos of Newer Zulu 1 Design with feedback problems (Both of mine). Circular disk Microphone and black holes on top of Speaker Cups
2011 version

Photo of Older Zulu 1 Design, without feedback, working perfectly. Standard type microphone and Silver holes on top of Speak Cups
2008 version

Last edited:
I did -- original Zulu

Finally found, thanks to VAF, there is a mike gain screw on the mike --- adjusted that and pretty much solved the problem --- now I have to reset the 650 to get my sidetone back.

Ron

Finally found, thanks to VAF, there is a mike gain screw on the mike --- adjusted that and pretty much solved the problem --- now I have to reset the 650 to get my sidetone back.

Ron

Hey Ron, I tried that, and it does not solve my problem.

RudiGreyling said:
<SNIP>
So there is definitely a problem with my newer models bought in 2011. Even when i adjust the MIC Gain on the Mic boom to ZERO, i get MIC feedback whine. <SNIP>

What did you do to your 650 to get the sidetone back?

I had the same issue with my Zulu V2 which uses the same microphone. I contacted Lightspeed and they asked me to return the headset to them. Even though they were out of warranty, they "fixed" the problem and even replaced the cushions. I haven't had a problem with them since. YMMV

:cool:

It might take factory intervention as mentioned. I am using those with no problem. I have all the generations of Lightspeed... and they are great for RV.
My customer had a problem in OV-10 Bronco.... which is quite loud. It was solved with leather mic muffs.

Back