What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to drill trim cable hole in front spar HS?

water4d

Looking at the drawings I notice a 5/8" hole in the left front HS spar between the HS-710 and the HS-714. I see no mention of it in the narratives. When do I drill this hole? I have just done all the match drilling, disassembled & deburred and ready to dimple and prime. Should I do it now?

manual trim?

I take it you are using the manual trim. I would say drill it the same time as the fuse. That way the holes match. Good Luck!

Now is good.

I drilled the trim cable holes in mine during the construction of the HS before I riveted anything together. There isn't really anything to line up between the fuselage and the HS since the manual trim cable comes up through a lightening hole in the rear deck of the fuselage and goes through the front HS spar, through the HS and then exits the rear HS spar into the left elevator. There's plenty of flex in the cable and plenty of room back there to get the cable into a hole in the front spar almost any place you could possibly want to put it.

The only possible alignment issues would be between the HS and the elevator and the holes in mine (located per plans) were dead on. Even if the holes in the rear spar and the elevator were off a bit there's still some room for error so I'd go ahead and drill 'em.

When to drill trim hole

Kevin, I am at the same place now on my RV-7A horizantal stabalizer. So did you drill the hole before riveting anything? That's what I am inclined to do. I'm not sure why folks want electric trim. Doesn't it add weight? I had electric trim on a Cherokee and it was marginal for usefulness.

Back