What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please recommend some overhaul shop for Lycoming

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone!

While building my RV10 in Canada I am looking for Lycoming IO-540 (probably C5B5 or D4A5) narrow deck engine. New ones are out of my budget :( so I am looking for the overhaul shop who may simply get one overhauled for me.
I do not have a core though :confused: so likely I need the shop who has access to cores and may get one for me overhauled and assembled.
Also the price should be fair ;) and of course quality should be good.

Please recommend me someone in US. I heard about some shop in FL who does that. I am sure there are many more. Preferable in WA, OR, CA since this is drivable distance for me however I do not mind any other state.

Thank you,
Vlad

Aerosport Power in Kamloops may be a good place to start.

https://www.aerosportpower.com/

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get a rebuild for a whole lot less than a new engine from Van's. At least that's what I found when I was engine shopping. $5K would have covered the highest cost (new lyc) all the way down to the lowest cost rebuild I could find from a reputable shop.

I have contacted them and waiting for the quote. Thank you.
Just trying to get different options and different prices from US and Canadian overhaul shops to be able to choose from. It is expensive purchase so price matters here as well as quality.

Penn Yan Aero (New York)

Signature Engines in Cincinnati OH

Zephyr in Florida

I've had personal experience with Signature - outstanding shop.

Penn Yann and Zephyr have excellent reputations.

Rebuild yourself

In my opinion since you are designing your own avionics you could do the engine overhaul yourself. It’s not a rocket science :)

Penn Yan Aero

+2 for Penn Yan. They did an IRAN on my RV-7A engine and also did our SDS-equipped IO-540 for our RV-10.

In my opinion since you are designing your own avionics you could do the engine overhaul yourself. It’s not a rocket science :)

Привет Влад!
Thank you for your trust in my self :D To be honest I am thinking about such an option. I assume I will need to obtain lots of documentation which should not be a problem in our electronic century. Probably Lycoming overhaul manual + other books with all tolerances and torque moments info. Also I guess I will need to find a suitable core + get all other parts (jugs, pistons, crank, etc) ordered from somewhere.
This sounds like an option for me, I will investigate it more.
I know that couple of members here did that on their IO360 engines under supervision of their AME.
:)

Guys thank you very much for your responses and recommendations for shops!
I will request a quotes and see what I may come up with.
:)

You're right, it isn't. I built the O-320 that's been in my RV-6 for the last 20 years and have had no build related issues. But I built it a long time ago when I was an indestructible bachelor and knew I'd only have one passenger with me. Today, I'm no longer indestructible or a bachelor and figure there will be up to 3 passengers with me in the -10. I considered buying a core and rebuilding it myself, but:

1) I struggled to find cores that hadn't already been rebuilt several times (and probably had "last run" cranks.)

2) I got a bit skeered of pushing my luck with 4 people behind an engine I built.

The truth is having a shop build the engine cost me close to an extra $20K over what I could have done it for, but I liked the peace of mind, the warranty, and the fact that the good shops run the engine on a test stand before they ship it to you so the chances of infant mortality and/or an improper break in are reduced.

Like all things RV, YMMV.

Western Skyways in Colorado. Smoothest running Lycoming I have ever flown behind. Driest engine too.

Barrett Engines

Hands down I would use Barrett Engines. They are a Certified Repair Station and excellent people that do excellent work! I highly recommend them:)

Within Canada you have a few options. Aero-Recip, Aero Atelier, Aerotec to name a few. I've had good luck with Aero-Atelier.

The RV market seems to like "name brand" when it comes to resale - that's one thing you will want to keep in mind if you choose to self-overhaul. Frankly, I would self-overhaul if I could simply to know what's going on inside the engine. Special tooling requirements for these engines are pretty minimal (not like a Rotax, for instance).

Engine overhaul

Vlad,

I went through this process recently looking for an overhaul shop. I checked with the major shops and although I’m sure they are top quality, the prices were close enough to a brand new engine I decided to look elsewhere. I contacted Aerosport Power and they were unbelievably cheaper than all of the other shops and they have a pretty stellar reputation.

Darren is great to work with at Aerosport, has lots of patience and keeps me posted with progress on a regular basis. Looking forward to getting the engine back next month

Likely the mainstream overhaul shops will be as much (or actually more expensive) than a new Lycoming if you are having them source everything for you. They will be fantastic engines with lots of boutique options... But, not really at a savings.

I sourced a ND IO540 core and did the legwork in getting the 'heavy parts' (case/crank/cam/etc) yellow tag certified, and will source the parts for the rest of the build. I'll have an engine shop do the assembly and test run for me once I have everything together. This is the only way I can think of vs a mid-time running engine to save money, which I'll probably wind up ~$15k less than a new Lyc.

Salvage engine

Vlad

I brought a c4b5 engine that was 100 hours from first overhaul. It had a prop strike. Very small bend in one blade after an overrun. The vendor said he would guarantee the the crank and case. At Overhaul had had all new cylinders.
I brought the engine had it stripped and inspected. We changed the cam as it had a little corrosion (from sitting for a while) exhaust valves (meant that the engine could be signed off for another 2000 hours and I think from memory the main bearings were changed. Everything NDT’d ok. Mags inspected etc. Smaller mounts fitted and the governor studs changed. Effectively making it a d4a5.
All in, this engine cost 1/2 the price of a new one. It took a while to find the engine but well worth it.

Peter

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! for all your responses and recommendations!
Love this community ;)

I am currently sending requests to places you recommended and will wait for their responses.

So I understood that the biggest problem is to source a decent core with cam, crank and actual halves (body) still usable and in more or less good shape.
All other parts most likely go in to garbage as all new parts will have to be installed anyway.

It is attracting to try myself, under supervision of local and knowledgeable AME, in engine overhauling. I understand that this is not a rocket science as Vlad said before. Depends on outcome from shops I emailed to and current situation with core availability I may go this route as well.

Will keep you guys posted here about what I finally get/do.

Vlad,

Darren is great to work with at Aerosport, has lots of patience and keeps me posted with progress on a regular basis. Looking forward to getting the engine back next month

Thank you!
I spoke with him over the phone and liked his attitude as well. Very nice person to talk. Now waiting for a quote from him.

Within Canada you have a few options. Aero-Recip, Aero Atelier, Aerotec to name a few. I've had good luck with Aero-Atelier.

Thank you! Yes I know this shop - Aero Atelier in Quebec, some local builders sourced their engines from them. I spoke with Manuel and now awaiting for his reply/quote for me.

Vlad

I brought a c4b5 engine that was 100 hours from first overhaul. It had a prop strike. Very small bend in one blade after an overrun. The vendor said he would guarantee the the crank and case. At Overhaul had had all new cylinders.
I brought the engine had it stripped and inspected. We changed the cam as it had a little corrosion (from sitting for a while) exhaust valves (meant that the engine could be signed off for another 2000 hours and I think from memory the main bearings were changed. Everything NDT’d ok. Mags inspected etc. Smaller mounts fitted and the governor studs changed. Effectively making it a d4a5.
All in, this engine cost 1/2 the price of a new one. It took a while to find the engine but well worth it.

Peter

Peter, I was trying to look for decent c4b5 or d4a5 core and so far cant find anything decent on the market. There are few with prop strike on eBay and other recycling facilities but crank dialed out about 0.005 or about this number which is out of Lycoming specs. I guess such engine is just a core halves while crank is garbage so it is additional $5-6K I guess. And still these cores are priced to a good amount, which makes purchase and then additional crank purchase to an expensive core :(

Vlad

As I said in my post, it took time to find a suitable engine. Sometimes right place right time.
There’s always a risk when you open the engine for inspection and things aren’t good. But I’d made the decision that I’d be prepared to spend up to 75% of new cost or otherwise part out the bits to get my money back.
You need to check crankshaft Service Bulletins as there’s still some engines out there that maybe effected.

Good luck

Peter

Back