What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon comm question

rockit

For those of you flying behind Dynon skyview, i have a question.
I have been looking at the Dynon comm VHF radio, the one with the head which has the ATIS, Tower etc buttons.
1. How is the performance of the radio?
2. Are the buttons actually useful or are they just a decoration?
Thanks for your feedback.
Ravi

I have been looking at the Dynon comm VHF radio, the one with the head which has the ATIS, Tower etc buttons.
Ravi

I have one, and I use the buttons all the time. The NRST airport feature, combined with the buttons, makes things pretty easy!

Very useful

Flying for 3 yrs and works very well.

COMM Buttons are very useful, but recommend two other concepts; 1) remote flip-flop switch on the stick grip, and 2) use the softkeys on the EFIS, also.

For #1, the convenience of the flip-flop on the stick grip, makes sense for quick hands-on freq changes such as when landing and switching from TWR to GRND as you exit the runway. Grip switch avoids overuse of the PUSH on the COMM head.
For #2, the EFIS softkeys are sometimes more convenient when the NRST softkey brings up the airports list, and another softkey (APT->COM) loads the control head with frequencies. The integration of the SkyView (AFS, Dynon) with the COMM makes all pieces convenient.

Dynon SV Com

I installed the Dynon radio about two months ago. Mine is in a AFS 5600 system and the functions work well. It is even more functional in a Skyview system. I like, and use, the buttons.

One thing I don't like. The more direct your view into the display the better the clarity. If you are viewing it at a distance and severe angle, the display washes out badly. I installed the Dynon below my AFS EFIS in my RV8, and had to build little spacers to angle the radio upward to improve readability. Even then I have trained myself to use the AFS EFIS frequency display for changing the frequencies. The only thing I use the Dynon radio display for is for the "nearest" function to enter the desired airport. But with a Skyview system the nearest airports apparently display at the top of the EFIS.

Last edited:
I don't really use the dedicated buttons, but that's more because I am old school and dial everything in by hand. The radio has good quality sound and every time I've asked for a radio check I get a loud and clear response.

I have a Garmin com in my RV-12 and a Dynon com in my Panther. I like the buttons on the Dynon com and the radio works well but I really miss being able to store a set of commonly used freqs in the Dynon com.

I love the Dynon comm and find the preset buttons very handy. I have a GNC355 as my back up comm, but find the Dynon much easier to use.

Ravi

Very useful. It would be hard to go back to anything else. Push the airport identifier from the Skyview to the radio and you have all the frequencies at your fingertip. It's a terrific feature. Really nice when going in and out of controlled fields. If you are going Dynon Skyview, be sure to get it. If there is any shortcoming, it is that you don't memorize field frequencies. Sort of like speed dial on your cell phone; you never learn other people's numbers like you used to when you punched them in.

Last edited:
Have no complaints about the radio at all. I also don't remember frequencies anymore due to it.

I installed the Dynon radio about two months ago. Mine is in a AFS 5600 system and the functions work well. It is even more functional in a Skyview system. I like, and use, the buttons.

One thing I don't like. The more direct your view into the display the better the clarity. If you are viewing it at a distance and severe angle, the display washes out badly. I installed the Dynon below my AFS EFIS in my RV8, and had to build little spacers to angle the radio upward to improve readability. Even then I have trained myself to use the AFS EFIS frequency display for changing the frequencies. The only thing I use the Dynon radio display for is for the "nearest" function to enter the desired airport. But with a Skyview system the nearest airports apparently display at the top of the EFIS.

The radio page on the AF-5000 EFIS works and looks just like the Dynon Com head. Turn the airport knob and the destination airport comes up first and then the nearest airports sorted by distance. The Radio page on the AF-5000 will control the Dynon radio or any other radio that supports remote tuning from the EFIS (IFD540, IFD440, SL30, SL40, GTR200, GTR225, GTR255).

You can also hit the NEAREST button on the EFIS and see all the airports and then select FREQ tab to send to the radio.

49750934303_73036379dc_b.jpg

One advantage the interface on the EFIS has is for multiple tower frequencies it will being up a list:
49750946373_c94f332e2e_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics

I have been flying with the panel control unit and remote radio for about 75 hours. I like the panel control function. Only downside is the panel unit failed intermittently, then altogether. Same with the remote radio. Apparently it has been troublesome enough that it's no longer in production. They sent me a Trig replacement which works fine but required different mounting, harness adapter, etc.

I have not had that problem, even from extreme angles. Are you perhaps wearing polarized glasses?

Back